Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV ideas/scripts - what to do with them?

• 10-06-2001 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Ok say that there's this guy who has an idea for an Irish TV sit-com. Let's call him.... say "Geoff Labowske" for lack of a better name.

Anyway.. this "Geoff Labowske" guy has an idea for the sit-com and will be working into scripts over the next 6-12 months. At what stage should he approach companies with the idea? Which companies should he approach? How much detail should they be in before being shown to production people?

I'm sure "Geoff" would appreciate any help you could provide.

On his behalf I thank you in advance.

I'm the Dude

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

Hmmmmmmmmm, i read a leaflet from teh BBC a few months back which was looking for young script writers with fresh ideads....there was a compition or summint...ended a whiel back tho......it might be an idea to write away to some TV companies to see what they's suggest....let us know how ye get on too..im fairly interested meself smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

You need to produce a story board for a pilot. Then put together a budget estimate.

The Arts council will give out grants based on those two things if they thin they are good enough. There are also other funding alternatives but I am not up on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Surely it's no good getting an Arts Council grant to make it unless I have a studio, production experience, actors lined up etc.

I'm the Dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jeff_Lebowski:
    At what stage should he approach companies with the idea? Which companies should he approach? How much detail should they be in before being shown to production people?</font>

Interestingly RTE (no, seriously) will shortly be launching a new initiative to encourage new and fresh writers to present their material to them.

I know the guy heading this up personally and know that at the very least anyone who sends in material of *any* worth at all will get a detailed and considered response even if the work isn't funded further (which is a lot more acknowledgement than writers have gotton in the past).

With due respect to my bud i won't jump the gun on this but if anyone is sincerely interested drop me a line and i'll pass your info on to the right person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Ive been wanting to submit writings for so long, but it's been hard. You never know where to go, what the etiquette involved is, and mostly, how on earth you'll know whether you'll be proclaimed a genuis, or tarred and feathered and laughed out of town. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks..

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

WHAT ABOUT THE DRAINS IN HACKNEY ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Raife

I'll act in it Jeff if you need actors.

Would'nt you rather try out the big guns like WB or UPN in America????
    UPN seem to be getting alot of shows lately and have a big budget even for the less wanted.

Ltr!!
    Raife!! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Get the Writer's Yearbook or Handbook or whatever it's called, compile a list of suitable production companies which are listed in it and bang stuff off to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Sorry for delay in getting back to folks on this topic (real life problems etc.)

Checkout http://www.rte.ie/rawtalent

I reckon anyone in the script field will find whats here very valuable.

When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

anyone had experience of script writing software? whats good ? whats not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Thanks Bluehair.

Gives me something to do for the summer now - write the next "Leave it to Mrs. O'Brien"

I'm the Dude

• Advertisement
Advertisement