Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot access modem/router

• 24-10-2004 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Zyxel 623R-T1 moden/router which I have set up to be used in bridge mode using the following:
    In Menu 1 set Bridge to Yes and Route to No
    In Menu 3.2 turn off DHCP
    In Menu 4 set encapsulation to RFC1483,and set Network Address
    Translation to None
    In Menu 11.1 on the right column set route to no and bridge to yes.

Furthermore I have a Netgear WGR614 wireless router, which is set up to PPPoE .... this all works fine.

BUT I cannot access the Zyxel modem any longer ??
    Normally it could Telnet/http to it's IP (192.168.1.1) - but not anymore ... why I cannot figure out. My wireless router has IP 192.168.0.1 ... perhaps this is the problem.
    Can someone help ??

Thanks,
    Stone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I've never used either of these units, but I can offer an explanation based on general IP principles.

First, two assumptions:
    1. The PC that you used to access the ZyXEL on 192.168.1.1 was connected to it either directly or via a switch or hub, and the ZyXEL assigned IP addresses by DHCP.
    2. The PC that you are using now is connected wirelessly to the Netgear on 192.168.0.1, and the Netgear assigns IP addresses by DHCP.

The explanation (which you were on the way to working out):
    The ZyXEL is still accessible on 192.168.1.1, but your PC has now been assigned an IP address in the 192.168.0.x range by the Netgear. The PC and the Netgear can therefore no longer communicate. As well as that, the ZyXEL is connected to the Netgear's WAN port, which is now being assigned a public IP address from your ISP via PPPoE. So the ZyXEL's private address (192.168.1.1), which is not routable on the public internet, is effectively "stranded".

The solution:
    To access the ZyXEL in future, disconnect it from the Netgear and connect it to a PC with a manually-assigned IP address in the 192.168.1.x range.

Advertisement