Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need some advice from bb users dublin

• 24-10-2004 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

I,d like to get broadband ,so i.m goin for either ntl or ibb ripwave, i,v read up on all; technical specs speed ads download caps, i,ve use eircom broadband on a usb modem, i found it slow,unreliable in regard to downloading gamedemos over 100meg in size ,so has any 1 out there any advice which to go for in regard to downloading speed reliablity,im mainly interested in gamedemos ,gameupdates,downloads,dont really care about net lag,
    which is better for downloads ibb or ntl,i know ntl has cap.
    so far i,ve only used eircom broadband.any advice is welcome. i,m near ibb aerial in dublin 1.i dont have phone line installed, just ntl cable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

NTL is not capped but they do have a fairness policy of 1Gb per day thats 30-31Gb per month and if you use more than that well ... but on the original Q go with NTL its faster for a start and i have heard more complaints about IBB than NTL. I want NTL the min it is avail in our area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Basically, whether ripwave will work for you or not is pretty uncertain. It depends heavily on the area you're in. NTL only depends on whether you are cabled or not.

I'd advise NTL as the better option, as its cheaper, and offers faster download speeds. However ripwave is worth trialling. If it doesnt work, just send the modem back to IBB. Its what our cooling off period is for :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

gamer wrote:
    i,ve only used eircom broadband.QUOTE]

Heheheh, then any other service will do u, if u can put up with eircom the IBB or NTL will be fine. It depends on where u live as to which service is better or available, a friend of mine lives in rathfarnam area , he has IBB and it is fantastic, he has had it for over 1 year, with NO problems, i also have another mate in Tallaght area with NTL , and he has had that for over 3 years with little to no problems, So i think either is pretty good. I had ripwave and it did not work in rathmines\renalagh area, u need to be on a top floor of a house to get acceptable signal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

somewhat off topic but does has ntl increased there dublin coverage at all does anyone know? is there a coverage map or anything going around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

They're constantly rolling out new areas but afaik there's no map. Your best bet is to just phone them up and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 555

Their customer service is a joke. I wanted to get setup with Ripwave - I completed the direct debit forms and 5 weeks later (after about 4 calls to customer service) I was still getting the same excuse: "Your details haven't cleared with your bank". I called my bank to see if they had received a DD mandate from IBB - nope! Useless.I've got Eircom BB on trial at the moment and I haven't experienced any problems with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

ok i,m curious say i set up pc on top floor put ibb ripwave aerial on windowsill and it doesnt get a good signal then can i just give the modem back get installation refund.,im in dublin 1 ,ill ring ntl and find out if cable internet is avaidable in my area.thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You have a 7 day cooling off period where you should be able to return the modem and get a full refund.

gamer wrote:
    ok i,m curious say i set up pc on top floor put ibb ripwave aerial on windowsill and it doesnt get a good signal then can i just give the modem back get installation refund.,im in dublin 1 ,ill ring ntl and find out if cable internet is avaidable in my area.thanks for all the advice.
    There is no installation fee, u just pay for the modem and a months usage up front, they will take it back off u and refund u.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i'm living in City Centre near Dublin port, was with Netsource before and it was good. Reliable and fast. Then NTL came in and I switch over, so far so good. I opt for the fastest home packaged 1.5mpbs. I think I would never be able to go back to slower connections.

Plus, no phone line required. Just be minded, it's 1 year contract, u must subscribe to digital TV and pay by direct debit. And yes, you can never expect much when arranging appointments with the cable guy. Either they never come or turn up too early!

• Advertisement

mart_max wrote:
    i'm living in City Centre near Dublin port, was with Netsource before and it was good. Reliable and fast. Then NTL came in and I switch over, so far so good. I opt for the fastest home packaged 1.5mpbs. I think I would never be able to go back to slower connections.

Plus, no phone line required. Just be minded, it's 1 year contract, u must subscribe to digital TV and pay by direct debit. And yes, you can never expect much when arranging appointments with the cable guy. Either they never come or turn up too early!
    Well at least u got ur connection, im still waiting for IBB to take money out of my account and organise installation (3-4 weeks already waiting) and no sign of it at all, i ring and it is "in 1-2 weeks we will install"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I'm just off the phone with IBB myself and I find it quite hard to understand how they deal with billing.

My house just failed the LOS test for Breeze home (only about a month after I applied for it so thats pretty good by IBB standards). The engineers told me that I should be able to get Ripwave as someone else nearby has it apparently (not sure how they know this).

They claim to have sorted out the problems they were having before this with Ripwave in the area (I tried it out in July but it was a complete no-go at that time).

How it will be any different now I don't know but since I appear to be a moveable BB blackhole what else can I do.

I ring up the sales folks again and give them a brief rundown. Having taken 10 days to set up the direct debit to my bank account for the Breeze home silly me I presume they can just swap the value around and ship me out a ripwave modem. Ha! Nope.

So how long will a direct debit take to setup. 3 weeks. What about a credit card? Week and a half..

Silly me...

machalla wrote:
    I'm just off the phone with IBB myself and I find it quite hard to understand how they deal with billing.

My house just failed the LOS test for Breeze home (only about a month after I applied for it so thats pretty good by IBB standards). The engineers told me that I should be able to get Ripwave as someone else nearby has it apparently (not sure how they know this).

They claim to have sorted out the problems they were having before this with Ripwave in the area (I tried it out in July but it was a complete no-go at that time).

How it will be any different now I don't know but since I appear to be a moveable BB blackhole what else can I do.

I ring up the sales folks again and give them a brief rundown. Having taken 10 days to set up the direct debit to my bank account for the Breeze home silly me I presume they can just swap the value around and ship me out a ripwave modem. Ha! Nope.

So how long will a direct debit take to setup. 3 weeks. What about a credit card? Week and a half..

Silly me...

3 weeks, try 1 and a half months for a direct debit, they are crazy when it comes to their "financing department". They havnt got a bog, most companies canset up a direct debit within a week r 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

machalla wrote:

Why they don't just give the installers a ripwave modem to carry with them for situations like this, I can never understand.

It's a "no-install" service, IBB - it should take 5 minutes to sign up for it, not 5 weeks! It should be possible to drive out to IBB in Sandyford, hand over my credit card, take the box home, check it out, and if it doesn't work, bring it back next week! At least ESAT and UTV have the excuse that it takes eircom 3 weeks to "turn on" DSL (even if it doesn't), but IBB have no excuse at all for preventing customers from giving IBB money.

Ripwave wrote:
    Why they don't just give the installers a ripwave modem to carry with them for situations like this, I can never understand.

It's a "no-install" service, IBB - it should take 5 minutes to sign up for it, not 5 weeks! It should be possible to drive out to IBB in Sandyford, hand over my credit card, take the box home, check it out, and if it doesn't work, bring it back next week! At least ESAT and UTV have the excuse that it takes eircom 3 weeks to "turn on" DSL (even if it doesn't), but IBB have no excuse at all for preventing customers from giving IBB money.
    True true, i was thiking of bringing my ripwave modem back to sandyford as it was taking them ages to take back my modem after it didnt work for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭daymobrew

mart_max wrote:
    Plus, no phone line required. Just be minded, it's 1 year contract, u must subscribe to digital TV and pay by direct debit.

Minor correction:
    From http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html
    You must be a subscriber to ntl's basic tv pack in order to upgrade to ntl's Broadband service.
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/tv.html

Advertisement