Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To be free or not to be free?

• 24-10-2004 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what the majority of people think about letting their cats wander outside. I understand there are benefits for keeping cats inside such as: lower chance of contracting illnesses, protection from toms and foxes etc etc which all means greater chance of a long life. My view is that a long life isn't always an enjoyable life. I realise that by letting my cats roam I'm increasing the chance of premature death but I reckon they really enjoy frolicking around in the wild. Having said this I always call my cats in at night to avoid any confrontations they may have with foxes and un-neutered wild cats. Any opinions?

Do you keep your cat(s) inside or let them out? 13 votes

I never let my cat set a step outdoors.
    0% 0 votes
    I let my cat come and go as it please.
    23% 3 votes
    Let my cat out but call it in at night.
    76% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

I dont have any pets but I love to get one sometimes, and when I do, I let them do what they want when they want, come in or go out whatever, but I will keep them in when I go to bed, anythin could happen anytime, but they still deserves thier freedom of life, so go play during the day, stay in when I go to bed! does that sounds ok??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Our cat is about 10 years old. Some nights we let her stay in the house but that is only if she is at the back door when we are locking up at night. We live in the country so foxes are sighted often around the house. Hasn't been a problem yet. Our cat is well able to take care of herself when it comes to dogs, she put our St Bernard into its place a few times icon10.gif
    Cats like to wander around, we don't keep her house bound. Comes and goes as she wants. Best way to have it.
    At times she will return with a rabbit, hare, bird or rat. Something nice to wake up to in the morning staring up at you on the door step :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Know what you mean about the little surprises Rabies, had to deal with a headless magpie yesterday :eek: Even though its not a particularly enjoyable job disposing of large-ish birds, I can't but feel a little pride at what an accomplished hunter my feline friend is! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I let my cat come and go as she pleases, but now that she's getting on in her years she doesn't really go out all that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Cats are predators and need their freedom - some more than others. I have 4 cats and they all come and go as they please. Usually they sleep draped around the house most of the day, but like to go hunting at night. If they are in when I go to bed they often wake me up early to let them out and then bring a 'present' to the back door for me to dispose of when I get up!

I live in the country and have never lost a cat to a fox. My last cat lived to 14 and was hunting almost to the end. My biggest problem was teaching the children to leave all the dead rats alone! The only thing I would be worried about in letting cats out would be if I lived near a busy road - cars kill more cats then anything else. Otherwise they have evolved to look after themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our cat is a house cat - he plays in the garden but never leaves it except to chase other cats away a few times. We live in the city - a neighbours cat was pulled apart by stray dogs and we live right by a busy road so I prefer him to be inside or out the back where he's safe. Roaming around the countryside is fair enough but there is a difference when you're by busy roads etc. He's still as playfull as when he was a kitten which we've been told is unusual for cats over a year old and if he was unhappy he could jump over the wall but he doesn't. awwwww my ickle-kitty-cat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

tk123 wrote:
    Our cat is a house cat - he plays in the garden but never leaves it except to chase other cats away a few times. We live in the city - a neighbours cat was pulled apart by stray dogs and we live right by a busy road so I prefer him to be inside or out the back where he's safe. Roaming around the countryside is fair enough but there is a difference when you're by busy roads etc. He's still as playfull as when he was a kitten which we've been told is unusual for cats over a year old and if he was unhappy he could jump over the wall but he doesn't. awwwww my ickle-kitty-cat :D

There aren't any stray dogs around where I live but thats exactly why I call my cats in at night; wouldn't be able to live with myself if that happened to either of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I think it really depends on the cat. Some cats are housecats, others aren't.
    I let my cat (well, technically my sister's but let's just say it's mine for the purposes of ease) go and come as she pleases. I'm not worried about something happening to her regarding the roads, she's old enough now and she knows better, really. Cats are different to dogs, they're a lot smarter, I mean I wouldn't trust my dog at all, but my cat, yeah...
    My old cat (sadly died a while back) used to sleep in the middle of the road (I live at the top of a cul de sac so it's not all that busy) all the time and nothing ever happened to him.
    There was one incident however when he was allegedly chasing a neighbour's cat (which is unlikely because he was pretty old at the time and not all that active) and the neighbour was threatening to poison him...

Still, let them have their freedom!

Of course, with halloween coming up.. you gotta keep them in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

My cats are afraid of the outside!

I found them when they were about 6 weeks old. Either abadoned by their mother, or owner, and they were out trying to fend for themselves. But I took them in, and now all they do is play with their toys, sleep and scratch the life out of the scratching post i got them. If i open the front door, they run into the garden, freeze and run straight back into the house again.

But if they wanted to go out and roam, i'd be happy to let them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Leave their toys and scratching post outside for a few minutes each day, getting further away from the door. They should learn not to be afraid of the outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

We have catflap so they are in and out whenever they want :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Sitting out in the garden with the door open is a good way to get timid cats to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I've had a lot of cats over the years and they all lived outside. Only one (Phoebe) sleeps inside, she cries at the window every night to be let in and she goes out the next morning. Most of our cats were born outside and so don't know any different. Only two of them like being in the house, the rest seem to find it a bit claustrophobic because they just sit by the door to be let out.

However any time any of our cats have been sick, they've been kept in, just not in the house. (We have a lean-to and a shed).

Advertisement