Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 6 local history

Options
  • 24-10-2004 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Inspired by an excellent book called "Four Roads to Dublin" by Dierdre Kelly and having lived in the general area for the last number of years, I would be interested in finding more resources on the local history of the Rathmines, Ranelagh and Harold's Cross areas. Although I would not like to set a time frame for any discussion here, Kelly's book starts back in Norman times and charts the development of the villages and parishes. The more valuable material comes from existing records however, and these generally tend to begin about 1850.

Can anyone suggest another local history book available for these areas that they have found useful?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I found that book deadly as well. It's great to know my square used to be a rubbish tip! I always wondered why there were old glass bottles and clay jars strewn around it.

Can't make any recommendations, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

Thanks for your reply. That whole chapter on the Cullenswood area was really good, wasn't it? I need to get to the Pearse St library to do some more research but have thought about a walking tour next summer. I like the sound of my own voice AND it means I get to tell other people about the great history of the area. Do you think this is a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Yeah, I think it is actually. Don't forget stops at the Hill and Birchall's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

harolds cross was a strong jewish area. refugees from the purges in russia at the turn of the 19th century. it was nick named "little jerusalem". the house of the fictional character leopold bloom from joyces ulyssis is on harold cross road just before the bridge. jewish musem and the jewish bakery is just behind the portabello college. ironic then that the main rival to the jews, muslims are now in control of the area,
    i live along the canal and we nick name the area "kazakstan"

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

excellent website with plenty of enties for your area
    http://indigo.ie/~kfinlay/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

spanner wrote:
    ironic then that the main rival to the jews, muslims are now in control of the area,
    i live along the canal and we nick name the area "kazakstan"

Not at all ironic: migrants into an established neighbourhood often take the option of lower cost housing and a desire to live among their own people - something that the Irish have done in Sydney, Boston, NYC, Buenos Aries etc etc etc

As for your idea that they now "control" the area, that is possibly the most bizzare thing I have read here yet! Do you suspect that a jihad is being planned or that minarets will start popping up out of Lennox St and environs. Don't be daft.

Aren't you clever for nicknaming it after somewhere geographically distant. Most Muslims living in Ireland come from further south, Iraq, Pakistan and the countries of Eastern Africa. I think a more approrpiate name might be "little Lahore" if you really wanted to go down that route - which I do not. Anyway, thanks for your contribution.

Advertisement