Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****in Ipod ?

Options
  • 24-10-2004 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

got my 4G

first of all what is the deal with the lose headphone jack ? its extremley lose.
    secondly, it says full charge = 4hrs, so i plugged it in and 3.5 hrs later it showed fully chraged so i unplugged it, transfered a few songs and it then started charging via usb2, i unplugged it and im on my 15th song now and battery has decreased to a quatre. Granted 2 songs were quit long, lets say 17 songs then.

17 x 4.5min(avergae) each = 76 min = around 1 hr.

its meant to last for 12 hrs. (which it probably doesnt) but its down to a quatre so i see this lasting 4 hrs.

its on shuffle btw, backlight is off and im not messing with it, maybe its because i transfered a few(24) songs ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Placebo wrote:
    maybe its because i transfered a few(24) songs ?

More than likely this is the reason.

As the hard drive is on all the time when you transfer songs......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Usually things like that need a full charge, then to be run down fully and charged up completely again to get full battery life (might be wrong but thats what its like with phones and razors etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

n1ck wrote:
    Usually things like that need a full charge, then to be run down fully and charged up completely again to get full battery life (might be wrong but thats what its like with phones and razors etc).
    That only applies to certain older Ni batteries AFAIK. Newer Li batteries "prefer" being topped up and aren't affected by "memory".

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

The long songs could be the problem - it may have needed to access the HD a few times if the buffer was too small to store the entire track. Still though, that's pretty poor performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

this my 3rd charge, it was gone completey down b4.

bleh/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Placebo, I'd recommned frequent charges, but always until "charge complete", no partial charges. AFAIK draining the battery is not good practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Placebo wrote:
    this my 3rd charge, it was gone completey down b4.

bleh/

in fairness ipods are known for theyre sh*t battery life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Arent usually the battery would become sh*t after 1 year? Have you tried calling Apple support Placebo? I just ordered myself a 4th generation Ipod, not something I want to hear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Axel wrote:
    More than likely this is the reason.

As the hard drive is on all the time when you transfer songs......

For the battery to take that big of a hit after transfering two dozen songs it's fairly appaling.
    I can transfer two dozen albums on my ZEN before the battery gets hit like that.

is support free ? i dont know, id say its the tranfer of songs.
    I posted this around 20:30, with it quatre left, now theres a small bit left, i went to to watch tv for around an hour though.

11 now.

id say its the transfer ? it says in the manual that you lose charge transfering songs.
    I wont get time to drain and charge again because ive interview on tuesday and stuff to do for it tomorow.
    Wednesday i will test more.

neokenzo, dont worry, probably transfer or i didnt charge fully (3.5 hrs?) ?
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Makaveli wrote:
    For the battery to take that big of a hit after transfering two dozen songs it's fairly appaling.
    I can transfer two dozen albums on my ZEN before the battery gets hit like that.
    Ditto, the battery life kicks ass (€249 at the mo).

Cant you charge when you are transfering songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hrmmm I think you should get in touch with apple, I transferred loads of songs onto my iPOD right after I had charged it for first time and still had lotsa power left

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

neokenzo wrote:
    Cant you charge when you are transfering songs?

that's only true with firewire, well it is with the 3gen ipod

I agree with angledelight Placebo, it seems kinda dodgy that your Ipod lose a lot of power while transfering songs. I'll probably get mine sometime next week so I can verify whether this may be an isolated problem or not but in the mean time, just give apple a ring and see what they say.

just read their battery fag and turning on EQ effects your battery too !
    so iam taking that was the problem ? because i recall yesetrday i had it running for a while and then i played the Music Trivia game for a few min too and it still ran a good bit after.

il email apple if it keeps up this problem.
    better not, bad **** always happens to me.

Dont worry about it, the good news that it under warranty right? Better to sort the problem now rather than wait a year down the road when it gets really bad :)

ah man it took like 3 weeks to get to me, hurts to think about sending it all the way back etc, this is my 3rd time using it, i just got it a few days ago.

i hope its not even a problem ! gonna test today.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds like you could have a dodgy battery. I recently bought a 40GB 4G iPod and I only have to charge it every four or five days. I use it about two-three hours a day.

The 4G iPods also charge through the USB cable when it's hooked up to your PC, so it really shouldn't lose charge while hooked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I know I'm very negative about these batteries but they are just appalling. Sorry your having such a crap experience so early but a couple of things to bear in mnd:

The iPod might have 'cool' additional games and features - better never to use them if you wanna listen to music.
    Support is limited - 01 4073000 - is the right number AFAIK for iPods. You have to pay them for support after a certain amount of time so watch out for that. I'm thinking the battery has a much shorter warranty than the usual 1 year for the player.
    Oh and always charge the iPod after you use it for a bit - i.e. come home and stick on. Yes this is annoying!

I don't even use mine daily (because of it's crapness) and therefore today I put it on after sitting idle for a while (week?) and it died DURING the first song. Boo hiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The 4G iPods also charge through the USB cable when it's hooked up to your PC, so it really shouldn't lose charge while hooked up.

that's cool, i didn't know that now.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have had three ipods in the last year and have sent every one back. I agree it is stylish but all it is useful for is hanging on the wall as a picture. Put simply it is a load of rubbish stay well clear imo

well, i charged it fully, 2am - 7am, fully charged.

i started playing it (shuffle, no EQ, no backlight, no messing about) at 13:30
    its 16:30 now and there is just a bit of battery left ! (so 3hrs)
    [//___]- (<-- battery)

and this **** is meant to last for 12 hrs, im gonna leave it and see how long it lasts, il ring support tomorow, or day after.

i never had this sort of trouble with my mini disc that i bought 3 or so years back, it worked like a treat , battery also lasted for ages and remote was great and it wasnt as heavy as this pile of iCrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Placebo wrote:
    i never had this sort of trouble with my mini disc that i bought 3 or so years back, it worked like a treat , battery also lasted for ages and remote was great and it wasnt as heavy as this pile of iCrap.

See this is what I was talking about a while ago in the Home Entertainment forum!

Hence the lone-MD-supporter flag I keep waving! :D

lol, i know now (by experience)
    hopefully [/__} will last 2 more hrs ;) making it around 5+ which should be decent enough ?

can anyone else tell me how many approx hrs they get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dude; AFAIK, the battery warrenty is 6 months. I know, as its common knowledge that the iPod battery dies after 6 months, and its costs nearly the same as to buy a new one, as it is to send for a new one :(

what ? it dies after 6 months ? where is this coming from ?
    ive nearly spent 350 on this thing and i payed extra 45 for usb 2 card.

wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

dude having the thing on suffle is the problem , as iPod has to access it's hardrive for every song, whereas if you were listening to an album it only needs to fill its cache once every 25 minutes, or something along those lines, so battery life is maximised.

i travelled for cork to derry by bus a few weeks ago and the battery lasted all the way (10 hours+), but i had the eq turned off, backilight turned off, shuffle turned off and listened to entire albums.

have to say though that i think the €350 i spent for it 3 weeks ago seems like a waste of money. that and the screen got scratched on the first day i used it, unless you wrap it in cotton wool it's not exactly the most ****ing portable machine in the world ya know?? it's supposed to be a portable music player, but i'm afraid to take it out in the rain, or put it in my pocket. at the moment it's sitting in my desk in work and i haven't put an album on it for at least a week.... just seems like to much hassle (mainly because i don;t havve the net at home so have to type in artist/album name etc. all by myself, which is a pain in the ass)

*EDIT* You've probably seen this but just in case...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

i had the same problem wit my new 4G ipod, batterly life was at all times max 4 hours, so i went to http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod and registed to get it repaired, its a bitch havin to send it off but twill be worth it in the long run, still waitin to get it back

Advertisement