Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who here actually completes games?

Options
  • 24-10-2004 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Good thinking ahead there. I've wasted some money on games for cheap thrills when I'm really looking for that sense of accomplishment when I don't have the time for it.

My current solution: Online games (via Xbox Live). I recently bought an Xbox with a mind to Halo2 and Pro Evo Soccer4. Even when you loose online, it's still exciting. When you win, it's better than beating AI. I've currently only got Burnout3 for Live. Also, player rankings means you know what level your up against compared to your own.

Fairly recent games to fall by the wayside: SSX3, Burnout2(PS2), GroundControl II (PC), C&C Zero Hour(PC), plus Rome: Total War is in danger too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I have a backlog going back several years of games I still mean to play through, spanning several consoles (and generations of consoles!) and PC. I have an awful habit of not being bothered about a game when it's first released, then either getting a taste for it later and wanting to play it through, or hearing everybody go on about it so much that I want to see what they're bl33ting about. I tend to have three or four games on the go at a time as well, despite the fact that I rarely have time to play them. At the moment, I'm re/playing through Metroid Fusion, Zelda OOT and Dark Reign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aye. unreal tournament 2004 is the only game that i've kept on my hard drive for more than a week recently.

halo, ghost master, prince of persia, warcraft 3, xiii, dredd vs death, deus ex: iw, hitman contracts, silent hill 3, nfsu, clive barker's undying, bloodrayne, dungeon siege, blood omen 2, billy hatcher & the giant egg, REmake and eternal darkness are just a few of the games in my unfinished pile of games that i've started this year. (metaphorical pile - i've sold the majority of them)

compare that list to painkiller, d3, far cry, metroid prime, resident evil 0 and max payne 2 in my finished pile :confused:

i really need to just start one game at a time from now on

/edit
    now that i think of it, i've completed quite a few more games than that...
    lok: defiance, pn03, spiderman2, unreal 2, cod...

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

I'm a terrible one for starting games and not finishing them. I'd say about 60-70% of the games I start, I never finish. Generally I just get bored with them.
    Only games which are short and sweet really keep me hooked...I think Call Of Duty was the last game I finished. Multiplayer games, as a rule, keep me entertained *much* longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I usually finish games before i stop playing them, currently the only games i have that i never completed are onimusha 2, because it sucks, spellforce, because i just haven't had THAT much time, and animal crossing because it's not possible. But saying that i usually don't play multiple games at once, unless they're multi player.

I generally try out a game before i buy it too, so generally if i think i won't like the game i won't buy it....and don't end up getting bored of a game before i finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

depends on the type of game really as to whether I finish it or not.

FPS I'll keep playing till complete: Halo, HL, FarCry atm etc.

playing Evil Genius on the side and..well...it'll prolly be in the "unfinished" pile soon!

PGR2 is sitting unfinished as is Top Spin and Crash Nitro Cart.

UT2004 is waiting to be reinstalled to be finished, along with Doom3.

damn college.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i havent completed a game since i moved away from my snes,
    ive played gta3 etc , i have a ps2 but ive never completed a game, i get bored quite quickly.

i got quit far in vice city, i forget why i stopped playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've started so many games and not finished them...
    Metroid Prime was the last game I finished. That was 5 months ago.I've got about 25 unfinished games at the moment. I wish I had more time, but college intervenes!
    I'm playing Zelda: Four Swords Adventures at the moment and I'm really enjoying it. Game Boy-wise, the last thing I completed was Metroid Zero Mission. Repeatedly. And speed runs of it too. Also Wario Ware Inc, though my little sister kinda appropriated that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I complete the ones i like.

yet to complete a game i didnt like so it may be lying about here somewhere.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I generally complete games i really enjoy such as mafia (really love that game), the hl series, call of duty, max payne, farcry as well as the GTA series and final fantasy series on the ps2, would be the recent games i've finished though i have lot more that have never been completed mainly due to loss of interest or just plain boredom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

off the top of my head theonly games i've finished this year ar Mario Kart DD and Max Payne on the PC. Although at the moment it's only sport games i'm playing, like Pro Evo 4 and Tiger Woods, and you don't really finish those do you?

The games i've sitting at home which I've yet to finish (or yet to start in some cases) is long, inc. Deus Ex, Half Life (it's not actually all that good like :) ) CoD:UO, GTA Vice City, Resident Evil, Mario Sunshine, Zelda, (GC).

I think i mostly buy games just for the sake of having them, and then get bored of them really quickly and just go back to the old reliables

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Roar wrote:
    .... Half Life (it's not actually all that good like :) )....

Why i outta.... :D

/runs off to find big stick

I think i've completed most games i've bought....Metroid has me stumped at the moment but i do plan on finishing it if i can ever find the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

have completed just about every game I bought.
    Latest ones would be

Doom 3, Warhammer 40k, Spellforce, command and conquer with addon.
    my next game to buy will be Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

In most games i get to about 75 to 90% of the game then just leave them. Only games i find i finish are FPS the likes of Doom, FarCry and Call Of Duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

When I had a Mega Drive and you could rent a game, play it for a couple of days and finish it. Hence unless they were appalingly difficult like Ghouls N Ghosts (although I can complete the first loop) then I'd finish most of them multiple times.

Problem with games now is they're too long, and they have too much filler so you don't want to finish them the first time never mind finish them repeatedly.

That's the crux of the problem for me really. The market at the moment has an obsession with longevity and perceived lifespan. The truth is that games shouldn't be longer than, say, Ico. Three hours really should be the maximum outside the RPG genre. We don't get 10 hour movies at the cinema or 6 hour music albums. Nobody has the attention span for that kind of thing except teenagers with too much time on their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

I've completed a few games. GTA 3 and GTA: Vice City are great with the free roaming, like was already said in this thread. I usually play soccer games. I never really get tired of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I rarely finish games anymore. Infact, the last game I finished was Max Payne 1 at the time it was released. Games I just haven’t bothered finishing are:
    • Hitman 2 - Silent assassin
    • Hitman 3 – Contracts
    • Doom 3
    • Manhunt
    • The Sims
    • Max Payne 2 – The Fall of Max Payne
    • GTA 3
    • GTA – Vice City
    • Delta Force – Task Force Dagger
    • Age Of Mythology
    • Mafia

Don't know why I never finish them; I just tend to get bored with them very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

On my 'To be completed' shelf are, all PS1 unless stated.
    • Final Fantasy 8
    • Clock Tower
    • Sentient
    • Castlevania SOTN (Trying to get 200%)
    • Tail of the Sun (Probably unfinishable)
    • Dino Crisis 2 (What a disapointment)
    • Silent Hill 4 (xBox)
    • Vandal Hearts 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

To think that games like Super Mario Bros. could have been completed in less than an hour...

Games these days are just too big in scope, and people have too much work on their hands. I remember with the SNES and even the Dreamcast, most of its games could be completed fairly quickly, and kept me entertained with the ol' unlockables and what not. Nowadays, games just have so much filler. As a result, I've had to cut back on the amount of games I buy, and have a few Playstation RPGs on the shelf that I want to tackle next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

[*]Dino Crisis 2 (What a disapointment)
    i actually prefered it to the first one.

short, sweet, varied scenery, more emphasis on action - without worrying about running out of ammo...
    and Regina was hawt in the fmv :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I try to complete all my games. However that means I've got a load of games in my 'to play' basket stretching back to the PS1 era. Thats not to mention emulated games and some old school PC games.

The only two games that I have played and didn't bother finishing where FFX-2 and Unreal and that was because both were terrible. i'll drag myself back to FFX-2 cos I'm a FF fan but I never want to play Unreal again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I'm suprised by how few people are finishing their games. I never start a new game until I have finished the one I'm currently playing. I've got Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and Rome: Total War sitting here, but I won't start playing either of them until I finish FarCry. Even if I go back to an old game like Fallout or Medieval: Total War, I won't play anything except that until I've played it right through again.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

For the amount of games I play , the number that I actually complete is awful. Back in the snes days I used to complete most if not all of the games I got. But in the past 3 years the only games I've cleared have been Shenmue, Shenmue 2, Ico and ahem.. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 ;) , oh, and Halo in co-op mode. In that amount of time I must have played at least 100 games for significant periods of time, but I just seem to lose interest in them or get a new game when I'm about half way through.

This thread has made me see the error of my ways though. From now on I'm only going to start a new game when I've cleared the last one. It'll never last but hell I'll give it a shot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ye I think the only two games I have comlpeted in the last 3-4 years would be Max Payne 1 and 2.

That is just ridiculous considering the mass amount of games I have.

Saying that, I rarely do missions in RTS games, dont count sports games as finished ..ever, and well RPGs really should have no end, last RPG I "finished" was Diablo II, and I have polayed most RPGs since that has been released!

I think im about 3-4 missions from the end of Far Cry(got that on release date)

I have Metroid prime sitting gathering dust for the last 6-7months (got GC in janurary) ((Yes, yes ciaran, ill get onto it within the next week :D)).

I dont know why it is that I dont finish games, just too many to play :D.

I can tell you what the next game I finish will definitly be tho (and if you dont know what it is you should not be in the gaming forum :D)

Also, finally after a good 4months of near constant gaming im near to hitting lvl 40 in city of heroes, (50 is the highest) , so Ill be taking a break from that after the 16th but after I finish HL2 (yep thats the game) ill be plugging to hit 50 in COH.

So all in all, I dont finish many games either, but if there is a great story , MP or HL, or a great degree off addictiveness (COH) then I will finish it :D.

OK ciaran ill go play metroid now, just for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I start games, then leave them for a while, and when I come back to them I find it hard to get into them without starting all over again. In some cases I forget how to play them.

Also I tend to always just play 3 games.
    Vice City - despite getting 100% I just load it up every now and then and play for an hour or so.
    Pro Ev - currently playing 4, it's the only game I'm playing atm, and right up until I got 4, 3 was the only console game I was playing.
    Championship Manager - always play this.

Of course you cant complete CM or Pro Ev.

There's a slew of games waiting to be completed. I really have to stop buying new ones before I complete current ones.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I’m currently going back and forward to Doom 3, Locomotion (which cant be finished), Sherlock Homes: The case of the Silver Earring, Broken Sword 3, and Burnout 3… started Red Dead Revolver a few weeks ago, liked it, but just haven’t got back to it.

Tons of games never finished for different reasons, and in the last year a worrying three games never started… might just eat into one of them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

No point in finishing a game if its ****e. But I've finished all the good games I got in the last few years, except UT2k4, which I'm working on now (slowly). Never finished TA either, and don't know anyone who did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

I finish most of my games the last one I finished was X-men Legends (not a bad game) though I'm not into many RPG's but I like the multiplayer. I'm just waiting for the next MGS and LOTR game so I'm laying low for a bit. But for the most part I try and finish my games 100% if I don't or can't oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Recently finsihed doom 3 COD /COD UO /MOh Break tru /Far Cry
    on GC Shrek 2 (go me )

On PC to play are Judge death (it was €3 ) Dawn of War , Pacific Fighters Gore (some crappy FPS )

on GC to play Donkey Konga , Metroid prime (2 years now waiting to be completed) Billy hatcher (game is evil) Spidermn 2 Prince of persia.

Of that lot i reckon POP and dawn of war will be the only ones i finsih.

kdjac

Advertisement