Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who here actually completes games?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

From what I see here a lot of people don't complete games because they are too long, does anyone else find it odd that people complain about a game only being 8 hours long? For me the likes of ICO and pop are the perfect length for a single player game, unless it's hopelessly engrossing like pikmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Three hours really should be the maximum outside the RPG genre. We don't get 10 hour movies at the cinema or 6 hour music albums. Nobody has the attention span for that kind of thing except teenagers with too much time on their hands.

But you don't pay €40 to watch a movie or listen to an album. I agree with your point, but I think a balance needs to be kept between value for money and a game being so full of filler that it's boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

I try to finish most games I get, unless they're just really crap. Sniper - Path of Vengeance,The Thing and Doom3 are the only ones I can think of off-hand that I didn't finish (first two are crap, Doom didn't deserve being run on my system so uninstalled it until I upgrade)
    Three hours really should be the maximum outside the RPG genre. We don't get 10 hour movies at the cinema or 6 hour music albums. Nobody has the attention span for that kind of thing except teenagers with too much time on their hands.
    You can't go back and play a little further every now and then? OpFlash took me months to get through all the campaigns. I would've thought it's more likely to be teenagers with an abundance of games but lacking in attention span that need/want games to be shorter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Well, there's room for some games like Rome: Total War or Operation Flashpoint. Especially in the PC market.

I'd rather see smaller games built in a shorter timeframe. The current market is demanding games with huge amounts of content so the dev team don't have anytime to innovate or experiment. They just have to slog away making sure the game is long enough. And they can't really throw out aspects of the game that don't work or it'll end up being too short.

The fall of the arcade industry is largely to blame. There was a time when games have to grab you in the first 30 seconds or else they didn't get played. Now you hand over the 60e and they can be confident you'll sit down for 2 or 3 hours for the game to start to take hold, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I complete all my games for the most part, it's a thing I've had with them dating back to my C64 that I finished everything on before I moved onto the SNES, mega-drive and N64 for more of the same -- completing them as I went along. When I moved to Pc gaming moreso than my consoles about 10yrs ago I started not finishing any title that I didn't like.

Favourites list out of what I completed so far on all platforms are:

Bubble Bobble on the C64 - toughest nut to crack on the list and my all-time favourite game next to Spy vs. Spy.
    Goldeneye on the N64
    Legend of Zelda "The Ocarina of Time" on the N64
    Final Battle on the mega-drive
    Golden Axe on the mega-drive
    Altered Beast in the Arcade
    Super Sprint in the Arcarde
    Ridge Racer in the Arcade
    Street Fighter II in the Arcade
    Mortal Kombat II in the Arcade
    Wipeout 1&2 ps and ps2
    Years ago -- half-life
    This year on Pc so far, Farcry and Doom III were my favourites but I'm sure that will change with the arrival of HL2, too many to list if I bring anymore into the equation.

I've gotten lazy in my old age :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i have so many waiting there but id say tbh the next game i finish will be prime 2. unless i decide to not carry my subjet to second year and do it on it''s own. then ill try get through POP1 before the second one and hopefully get through both pikmin games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

On my 'to do' pile ar FFVI, Suikoden 3, Beyond Good & Evil, Starfox Adventures, Pimin, Gladius, Silent Storm, Wild Arms 3, Grim Fandango, the Longest Journey and probably some others I can't think of off the top of my head. I've played quite far into all these games(90%+ in some cases) but once I get distracted for say a week its so hard to get back into, then some new game comes along and I start again.
    That's not to say I don't ever complete games, if I manage to get through the thing from start to finish over x number of days in a row(even for an hour a day) then I'm grand, its just when I get interrupted and dont get to play the game at all for a while its impossible to get back into. Moreso when you tell yourself your gonna get back into a game this week only to discover something like GTA San Andreas in the shops...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

once i get bored of a game i just cheat my way through the rest of it to see what happens.

some games you never get sick are the ones that YOUR in control, ie gta, soccer games etc... obviously you have control of everything but in those games theres no time limit or pressure on you to do what the game wants you to do.

its just freestyle all the way and if you want, you then have the option of doing missions, tournaments etc... sometimes the missions and cups get boring and you just wanna do your own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If I'm really into a game, I don't want it to end so soon.

'Ico' and 'Beyond Good and Evil' are two games that I just wished there were a few more sections in before I completed them.

I got 'Obscure' on the weekend, and I was really enjoying that too... but it was all over far too quickly.

Advertisement