Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anime

• 24-10-2004 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

anyone else like to draw anime???80823_1098640180.jpg...anybody have any tips??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

My style of drawing could be classified as anime, I suppose.

Tips? Well, I find using a lot of reference is a good way to improve. Since anime is not realistic you can't really use normal worldy reference, so a lot of people use manga/anime stills as reference. Which then results in irritatingly high numbers of practically "traced" pictures... but yeah, reference, good.

Nice pic, too. Like the shading on the hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, the hair looks amazing there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

What's the origin of the anime style? I feel its overtly sexual in nature, but that probably says more about me than anime...
    :)

I haven't a clue about its origins, but I'd say the whole overtly sexual thing has something to do with its popularity among (watch me generalise!) younger people, eg teenagers and that age bracket.
    Its possible its a variation on some traditional Japanese drawing style which was then hijacked by whatever generation and sort of... popularised, if that makes any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

thanks :D ..i joined an anime soc in CIT, was never able to find anyone else that was interested in it before....and forbidden planet has moved from limerick to dublin.... the first film i saw was called "akira"..it was amazing!!!---kaneda02.jpg

• Advertisement

Forbidden Planet is uberly expensive...
    They're selling one single Serial Experiments:Lain DVD for 36 euro. Criminal.

I saw akira. I think I may have been half dead at the time, because I totally missed everything that was going on. See "Spirited Away", it's not EXACTLY anime in the truest sense, it's a slightly different style, but it's brilliant. Tokyo Godfathers is.. interesting too. A bit random, and well it gets pretty disturbing at the end, but still!

I feel I'm getting off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

as far as i know in japan, anime and manga is generally seen and read by all age brackets, like there is comic manga and anime for kids,adults,men,women,girls,etc.basically, its treated like the normal film and pictorial media, so you will get all sorts of themes and issues. yeah reactor , you are right, some of anime is overtly sexual,but its just that in the west we connect cartoons to children , whereas there are some animes that would be totally unsuitable for kids, and only for adult eyes,because in japan anime is seen just as another form of film,not necessarily just for kids. i've heard of stuff like hentai which is really hardcore kind of stuff, which doesnt really hold any attraction for me, but its a very popular genre of anime.me, i just like drawing anime and i like certain films(ninja scrolls,akira,princess mononoke) and series(dai guard,neon genesis evangelion)....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

theres an irish bulletin board for this and the likes, made by a fella that posts here called cloud.

its called manga to anime

have a gook. theres prob a lot more links there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

munkeehaven. That pic you have has a unique elegance in the frame of the body.Also love the hair. I have also seen: 1)Akira 2)Ghost in the shell 3)Spirited Away
    If anyone is interested in Manga they should watch these.Keep the style up and watch some Manga for inspiration. :D
    Well enjoy.

Advertisement