Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Alias

Options
  • 24-10-2004 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have recently moved a domain from Hosting365 to a Ryanair type crowd. The site wasn't making money so I couldn't justify paying for the extra bandwidth I needed for it.

Anyway, my new hosts don't know how to set up a domain alias.

I have a server with two aliases, domaina.com and domainb.com. When a user visits by domaina.com I want him to see domaina.com in his address bar all the time. I asked them to set this up and they set up a redirect from domainb.com to domaina.com.

How does one do this on Apache?

Also I want all mail from domainb.com to be sent to the mailbox on domaina.com i.e. 1@domainb.com goes to 1@domaina.com and 2@domainb.com goes to 2@domaina.com.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Have a read of this - Apache refers to domain aliases as virtual hosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You'll also have to seperately set up a mail alias in DNS and configure whatever mail server they are using to handle mail for both domains, in the same mailboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

So their http.conf should have:

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName www.domaina.com
    DocumentRoot /www/domain
    </VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName www.domainb.com
    DocumentRoot /www/domain
    </VirtualHost>

in it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No need for two VirtualHost blocks, use ServerAlias.

adam

Advertisement