Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim Morrison, genius or wacked out junkie?

Options
  • 24-10-2004 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Right, what do ye think of Jim. Personally, theres a hell of a lot of the doors stuff that i really "dig" man, but then theres just some other stuff thats just a lil to weird and out there...any opinions....?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Another talented junkie. Overrated in my mind, but not without signicant abilty, just squandered it through booze and drugs. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

A little from column A, a little from column B....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

Overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only a genius if you're stoned..otherwise a talent for a neat lyric.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Genius of course. He never did Herion. It was the Whiskey that killed him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Some of his lyrics were class but he wasn't all he's made up to be. I mean the Doors rocked like **** but in the long run they seemed a bit weighed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Can any of you think of one musical icon in the past 50 years who wasnt surrounded by some form of scandal? Be it drugs, alcohol, womenising or just plain arseholishness. Jim was a great lyricist hands down but sometimes, if it werent for some form of drug addiction/alcohol problem or early death as a result of previous, the person in question wouldnt be as famous or widely idolised. Take for instance ol Kurt Cobain (apologies to die hard Nirvana fans), he wasnt anymore talented than the next bloke but he was constantly off his tits or depressed about something. Then he shot himself. All of sudden he practically has his own religion. Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

He wouldn't be as great as he is considered if he didn't have the band he had. That's some beautiful music, not just because of Jim, but the band as a whole imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Can any of you think of one musical icon in the past 50 years who wasnt surrounded by some form of scandal? QUOTE] Bit off the point but maybe cliff richard...?depends on what you'd call an icon tho....

maybe its bcos the musician has this myth surrounding them, that could be what helps propel them to "stardom", or because they are pretty hot (jeff buckley, kurt, jim) but then again..what about Alice in Chains, they were animal, out around the same time as nirvana, major substance abuse problems, not pretty tho,but all you hear about is nirvana..im not saying that i dont like nirvana i do, but Alice in chains have sum decnt stuff too..and do the kids who wear the nirvana hoodies today kno who nirvanas contemporaries were at the time....?

Anyway, i av to agree i dont think that jims work would have stood up on its own if it werent for the other lads, like ray, and their music...however im still kinda confuzzld about his lyrics...are they cupposed to make sense...or just junkie babble....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Depends on the song really.
    People Are Strange, well that speaks for itself.
    Awake, that's just babble. Good babble, but babble none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Graham Day

Jim Morrison was a bit of a tool if you ask me. The only reason he's considered a legend is because he died at 27. He loved himself a bit too much

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Bit off the point but maybe cliff richard...?

I mean icons of good music. Plus i mean dead ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Genius writer but an asshole too, some very good tunes in there though. Great when stoned I suppose, the way he was most of the time !!! (man.....) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

Graham Day wrote:
    Jim Morrison was a bit of a tool if you ask me. The only reason he's considered a legend is because he died at 27. He loved himself a bit too much

man your a ****ing tool... jim morrison was a great man... he was a genius, without a doubt...
    in fact, he was jesus... if you look at some of his long hair/big bearded photos you'll see what i mean, if there ever was a jesus it was jim morrison :p hahahaha..
    ah no but getting back to the point, wernt all musical genius's "Junkies"... Hendrix, Morisson, Lennon, Bowie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

I love the Doors but their greatness was because of the band as a whole not because of Jim but he did give the band a whole image that they wouldn't have had otherwise. He also had an amazing talent for poetic imagery although lots of it is just drug induced mumbo jumbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mumbo perhaps, jumbo perhaps not!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Hey,

I personally think that The Doors are the best band in their genre! There is no doubt that the ingenious musical arrangement is a fulfilling experience to listen to.

I would recommend that whoever has yet to listen to them, that they would get their hands on a copy of Morrison Hotel, possibly one of my most favorite Doors Albums.

Advertisement