Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i'm class rep - ah wtf do i do?

• 25-10-2004 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭

yeah so a mate of mine convinced me to put my name in for class rep.
    only person to do it. so i got an email there the other day saying

"CONGRATULATIONS YOU BE DA CLASS REP UNF UNF!"

or words to that effect. so wtf do i as a class rep have to do? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

go to the odd dept meeting and stick it on your CV....That is all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭The Shol'va

What? I wanted mud slinging! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

hehe i know a guy who was class rep last year...he did fcuk all and had a great time with all the free tickets to events etc :) granted there are like 5 reps for science rather than just the one so he could get away with it, but im sure you wont have to do too much, as RuggieBear said you will have to 'represent' your class at some meetings but it should be grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Basically it involves going to about one meeting a term for each department and for your faculty and bringing up any student issues at that meeting. There's then Student Council about once every three weeks which is like a student parliament with all the class reps. Then finally you can organise class parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Muhaa fool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭strawberry

If you don't go to any of the council meeting they'll probably fire you and then you'll be free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

You do a funky dance, is what you do.

And get patted on the head for being such a respectable pillar of the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

meh u can do anything from nothing to actually organising class nights out and repesenting yer class at SU meetings, up to yerself really...... They impeached someone from being a class rep in 2nd year engineering last year iirc for doing nothing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

hehe i know a guy who was class rep last year...he did fcuk all and had a great time with all the free tickets to events etc :) granted there are like 5 reps for science rather than just the one so he could get away with it, but im sure you wont have to do too much, as RuggieBear said you will have to 'represent' your class at some meetings but it should be grand :)

Heheh, yeah that was me in 1st year..
    It was fun sellin tickets and complainin to lecturers but it lost it's novelty value pretty quick.

PS: back from mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

congrats crash!.. btw i got transferred over to TCD from the Zoo...

• Advertisement

zoo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

He was a UCD'er :)

psychology in trinners then? i'll give yeh a buzz during the week :)

SkyLynx wrote:
    meh u can do anything from nothing to actually organising class nights out and repesenting yer class at SU meetings, up to yerself really...... They impeached someone from being a class rep in 2nd year engineering last year iirc for doing nothing...

Huh? What you talking about? One of the reps resigned.

Most reps find the departmental meetings of more importance, btw.

And congrats crash, i'll be seeing ya at class rep training on saturday then?

Oh, and Skylynx, there's a vacant rep spot in your class as you said before... (cough) (cough)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Daithi or Ruth should be able to point you in the right direction

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Oh, and Skylynx, there's a vacant rep spot in your class as you said before... (cough) (cough)

ugh but that sounds like effort!...........

And resigned, impeached, same diff...

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭strawberry

Johnnymcg wrote:
    Daithi or Ruth should be able to point you in the right direction

Daithi's a sweetheart, pick him, pick him! :)

God grace you're such a groupie :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Essentially just listen to your class and see if they have any (valid) complaints. I did it in 4th year in kollege and it's pretty easy. A couple of times, for example, we'd have too many assignments at the same time, so I'd get a week's extension by telling one of the approachable lecturers - generally worked.

I was also responsible for organizing the final pissup.. which worked out fine thankfully due to people's universal desire to visit the pub.

I did have one serious issue, involving an invalid question on a final exam which gave me a headache (and a lecturer a slap) but most of the time it was nothing serious.

I didn't get invited to departmental meetings though - that was for the faculty rep. And I didn't get free stuff.... Oh and you can, if needs be, miss the SU meetings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pink_Legend

hey,so what did u think of training and student council?i thought was alrite,not very bitchy at all(bit disappointed!!!!!!!).will def go again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Haha I remember that back in the day.. boooring

heh, i dunno, SU council involved many interesting questions including "will Andy Byrne be able to repeat again" and so forth :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

who the fúck is andy byrne?

he's the chair...i hope he is back next time, i really liked the way he tried to speed things up- even though some people certainly didnt seem to be impressed i was, the quicker the better :)

Ah sure wait til a really meaty motion comes around. Last year the Coke issue was debated a lot, and was then defeated by a fairly large margin.

And if Andy Byrne isn't chair for next council, there are plenty of names flying around of people who want it...

Yeah with all u SU hacks on here ye want to get us coke back into the su shops?

Why?

you should know by now i need my caffine fix

uh sky im thinking youll have to survive without your caffeine, that sounds like work to me, and i wouldnt be wanting to spark debates cos that = lonnngg meetings ;) besides wasnt that for very strong reasons last year? anyway im totally off coke at the mo, for some reason i really dont like it anymore...i go through phases... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

like myself, go thru phases of wayyy too much coke..not on much at the mo, but for my end of exams i want my caffine....

Advertisement