Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC died

Options
  • 25-10-2004 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I recently built a pc;

AMD 3000+
    512 RAM
    128MB 9200
    DVD BURNER
    400WATT PS
    ETC ETC

Then I added a dvd player(internal) to it. I had the dvd player as master and dvd burner as (slave). Both were on the same ide channel.

The pc was workin fine before I added the dvd player. When I added it, on boot up, it detected 2 cd-rom's, I'll take these were the dvd player and burner.

Then I turned it off, then nothing. Saya on the monitor, "NO SIGNAL". The power comes on, lights etc, fan for the chips is spinning, when I eject the dvd burner it will open, but the dvd player won't. Hard drive isn't spinning etc.

Note: The dvd burner also plays dvds, so could there have been a conflict between the dvd player and burner??

Did it essientiall short out the motherboard??

How can I fix it??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ShadowFax wrote:

How can I fix it??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could you have possibly knocked your RAM loose....i did that once installing a cd drive and couldn't figure it out for a while....long shot. i know!?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

you said you turned it on and nothing happens?

are they on primery or secondary IDE?

if thats all you added there shouldnt be a short all the motherboard, as you have not touch it at all!

if nothing happened how did you know the burner was working?
    did you try it on a system that boots with it?
    if you have the master and slave jumper set right there wont be a conflict
    you post not very clear, can you give me the details again, you say you turned it off and nothing, that would be right! you said off not on!
    you said HDD not spinning but the DVD burner plays DVD? if it didnt boot how did you now that the burner plays DVD but the DVD drive doesn't???

was there any beeps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

would tip the RAM or Graphicscard has come loose, try pushing them back in tightly or taking them out and putting them back in.
    did you remove anything or knock anythign when putting the drive in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Is there any activity from the PC at all? Maybe your powersupply is blown much more common than shorting a mobo. Check the voltage switch that is on many powersupplies.
    Make sure the IDE cables are connected proberly....red to power.
    Make sure the cable that brings power to the mobo....(sometimes two cables) are secure also.
    Hope its just a loose connection

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ShadowFax

First of all the pc worked fine, loaded XP Pro.

Then I opened the case and installed the dvd player.

When the pc booted up, both dvd player and burner were detected, both as cd-rom's on secondary channel.

I turned on the pc and got the message "no signal"

When I turned on the pc, the lights on the pc comes on.

Also, the fan over the chip spins.

The hard drive doesnt spin.

I treid to open the dvd drive, when this happened tray would not open.

The dvd burner tray opens when I try it.

I didnt touch off the RAM or anything else.

The pc worked fine, Then when I added the dvd drive, it started, but when I turned it off, this **** happened.

Both drives are on the secondary IDE channell.
    There was no beeps.

No smell, no smoke !!!

Thanks for your help!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Have you tried taking out the newly added drive or just disconnecting the molex connecter..perhaps it is taking too much power, what make is the PSU?

whats the molex??

PSU is 400w, should this be a problem??

Molex connector is the name of the power connecter that come out of the PSU and connect to HDD, CD drives and some Graphics cards.. sorry what Make is the PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

You checked you aint knocked the monitor cable loose from the back of the gfx card? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

gotta be a loose connection/component in there -- re-seat and reconnect then try again?

• Advertisement

Would having 2 dvd drives on the same channel, cause this

It shouldn't do but have you tried disconnecting the one you added to make sure it's not causing any trouble? Need to eliminate the cause of the problem before you find a solution to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

ShadowFax wrote:

i have a dvd writer and a dvd/cd writer on the same channel in my comp and ive had no problems whatsoever..definelty sounds like somethings come loose :confused:

ShadowFax wrote:

Did you set the Jumpers, on the CD and DVD drives to Master/Slave.

I think I have the jumpers set up properly, re-seated evrything, still on the fan on the chip, and the dvd burner will open, dvd player wont!!

Have you tried disconnecting the molex (power) cable on the DVD drive to see if it is taking up too much power...BTW what make is the PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Did you try resetting your BIOS, using the Reset jumper or pulling the cmos battery out. you wouldn't know what your bios has configured.
    also get rid of that drive when your troubleshooting the problem. The fact that it won't even open means somethings wrong with the drive. The drive should still open once power connected to it. even without IDE cable attached.

Webmonkey wrote:
    Did you try resetting your BIOS, using the Reset jumper or pulling the cmos battery out. you wouldn't know what your bios has configured.
    also get rid of that drive when your troubleshooting the problem. The fact that it won't even open means somethings wrong with the drive. The drive should still open once power connected to it. even without IDE cable attached.

The BIOS isnt going to make the drive not work ...im asking him to check to see if it will work again if the new drive is disconnected if it dose then this suggests that the new drives is the problem.. or the PSU isn't rated high enough to power all the componebts there is no need to reset the BIOS at this stage.. lets do some more trouble shooting first please.

The PSU is "Colors it", I think......it's in poxy text,
    400w silent power,
    model: 350U-SPE.

I turn everything on, lights come on in the front, fan over the chip spins, dvd burner tray will open, nothing else.

I tested the dvd player (drive that wont open) on another PC and it works fine!!

I really appreciate everybody taking the time out to gimme a helping hand. Much appreciated. :D

Optikus wrote:
    The BIOS isnt going to make the drive not work ...im asking him to check to see if it will work again if the new drive is disconnected if it dose then this suggests that the new drives is the problem.. or the PSU isn't rated high enough to power all the componebts there is no need to reset the BIOS at this stage.. lets do some more trouble shooting first please.
    What are you talking about?
    Thats not what i said. his computer isn't turning on. It wouldn't be a bad thing to reset the bios

• Advertisement

So are you saying that even with your new drive out the system still wont boot .... are you sure every thing like the ram, graphic card and all is in place, if so and it still wont boot try using fail safe settings in the BIOs and see if this helps.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You're really going to have to start answering the questions everyone is asking if you want to progress - i.e., what happens when you remove the new drive and boot the PC, are all the connections tight, etc.

I don't think he can even get to the BIOS post screen? thats why i suggest the jumper reset

I removed the power connection to the dvd drive, that wont open, still the same.

I removed power to both dvd burner and player, still the same.

When I turn the pc on, the screen just stays in a stand by state, orange light. If I tap the keyboard, to try to get it to come on (green light), nothing happens!!

RAM AND GRAPHICS ARE ALL IN PLACE

You're really going to have to start answering the questions everyone is asking if you want to progress - i.e., what happens when you remove the new drive and boot the PC, are all the connections tight, etc.
    I agree

Webmonkey wrote:
    I agree

DITTO.

ShadowFax wrote:
    I removed the power connection to the dvd drive, that wont open, still the same.

I removed power to both dvd burner and player, still the same.

When I turn the pc on, the screen just stays in a stand by state, orange light. If I tap the keyboard, to try to get it to come on (green light), nothing happens!!

RAM AND GRAPHICS ARE ALL IN PLACE

Ive answered all questions asked, check earlier.

Eliminate the cause of the problem. Disconnect everything except the essentials needed to boot your system into windows and try again. Take everything out except for cpu/ram/mobo/video/power obviously and try booting again. If that doesn't work reseat them and try again. If that doesn't work I'll be damned and you need to read the manual or give it to someone for repair :confused:

Looks like you need to do what Webmonkey said and remove the CMOS battery... its a silver round yolk that looks like a big watch battery just remove it then put it back in and see if ti makes any difference. failing that i also live in the midlands PM me where your town is and i'll see if i can help ya.

• Advertisement

Do I need the hard drive, to boot up??

I'll try it tomorrow, what you suggested Tact, thanks for your help!!

Advertisement