Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie controls question..

Options
  • 25-10-2004 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

Just got set up with bf1942 last week. Quick question on the controls......

I use the mouse/keyboard for the usual running around and tanks and cars etc..but I find them quite a pain for using in aircraft...plus...others seem to have much better maneuverability than me...hence I keep getting the crap blown out of me....do people switch over to joystick or use a controller ....or do I just need practise on the keyboard/mouse??

Thanks.

T.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

good pilots use a joystick /flight controller and dont come down to ground much.

I can fly and bomb anything in a plane using keyb , make sure you have bombing and strafing set to mouse buttons makes it easier and hit C 3 times to change camera view to behind the plane easier for keyb to fly like that .

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I fly useing the keyboard and consider myself quite handy in a jet or helio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭TemplarBarna

do you guys just use w,a,s,d and the mouse??...is it worth becoming handy with rudder controls for extra manuverability???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

KdjaC wrote:
    good pilots use a joystick /flight controller and dont come down to ground much.

Not true Keyboard is the same as joystick! I fly everything with my keyboard and mouse. It just takes some time to get used to it. My advice is to learn how to fly from a carrier. Because there is no room for mistakes when you fly from one it helps you quicker! Just pull back on your mouse till your high enough and then stablize it every time you think your going to drop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i use keyboard and mouse too.

Just go to single player with a map with heli's and practice flying about. Takes a bit to get used to it, but once you get the idea, it becomes easy. Landing can be pretty gay though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Not true Keyboard is the same as joystick! I fly everything with my keyboard and mouse.

I did say good pilots.
    Hi,

Just got set up with bf1942 last week.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Joysticks are good for two things;

1) You can turn slightly, or alot. With the keybard, you just turn.

2) Some joysticks have power control. Handy if you want to go low over the
    terrain in a heli. With keyboard, you must use a tap-tap-tap style to do
    likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

KdjaC wrote:
    I did say good pilots.

kdjac
    Burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i don't actually use the mouse at all when flying. Just the keyboard. I use wasd and the cursor keys, spacebar for primary fire and 0 ins button for secondary and i find it works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

the_syco wrote:
    you must use a tap-tap-tap style to do likewise.

Eh no you don't! You keep your self positioned in such a way the you're moving forward and not to much forward. then you simple map out a route on a map where you can fly that has enough room for a chopper. Then you keep your fingure on your acceleration button (mine being W) And away you go at full speed thru the jungle! When being chased by another chopper or a plane its alway wise to get near or into the jungle. Because then you have more of a chance of getting away unseen, your enemy hitting or his/her shots hitting trees and houses or just because it makes you look and feel good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Personally i use w,a,s,d and mouse. Ifind you can skim the ground much easier and also turn back on yourself very quickly when gettin rear ended by missiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

I'm used till keyboard just. I know i aint the best at bombin on planes but consider myself good in a chopper at times. Couldn't get used to joystick, prob as so used till keys. Think mouse is too awkward for controls & should be completely removed from aircraft controls as can screw ya up of accidently hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Funny i find mouse perfect fo f4, just have to be careful when flyin low

Advertisement