Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup Final - Waterford's disapointment again & low attendances in EL

• 25-10-2004 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Huge disappointment again in the cup final for us "Blues" supporters.
    Just like 1968-72-79 & 1980 we are beaten in the final. Conceding 2 goals after being one up with less than 5 minutes to go is not easy to take. However fair dues to Longford who are now a great cup team.
    One other comment. As also a supporter of Kilkenny hurling I was very impressed with both the level & volume of support for the decies in August's hurling semi .
    Quite the opposite yesterday. That a city & county with a population of over 120,000 were outnumbered by a provincial town does not auger well for the future of soccer in Waterford.
    In fact the low crowd of 9,676 speaks volumes for the problems that exists for the Eircom League game here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Id say alot of the problem with low attendance was the Utd v Arsenal game and the Ozzy rules game on! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

What kind of "kilkenny cat" supports Waterford? Surely you should be down at Buckley Park? Or is it a case of selective supporting of successful teams because you seem to support the Kilkenny senior hurling team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Kilkenny cat , what did you think of the game? Was there a good atmosphere at it? Where were you sitting?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think most Blues fans expected the worst so did'nt go. That and the mad timing of the game of course. FAI, truly idiots.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

In fact the low crowd of 9,676 speaks volumes for the problems that exists for the Eircom League game here.

Indeed.
    FAI, truly idiots.

Agree too.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    That and the mad timing of the game of course. FAI, truly idiots.

Mike.

Yeah putting it on a bank holiday weekend what are they thinking?
    I mean 2 years ago when they decided on October bank holiday weekend thinking most people would actually go then, stupid EL i mean Man Utd were playing Arsenal that weekend.

:rolleyes:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Draupnir wrote:
    What kind of "kilkenny cat" supports Waterford? Surely you should be down at Buckley Park? Or is it a case of selective supporting of successful teams because you seem to support the Kilkenny senior hurling team

Nowt to do with that. Professional football only started in Kilkenny in 1986 with EMFA joining the league. Being of an older vintage & like many from not just Kilkenny but also New Ross, Clonmel, Carrick on Suir I stayed & will always stay with the Blues.
    I'm pretty gutted today actually. Not as much as post Al Ireland but 3 Waterford season tickets in the house so...................

KdjaC wrote:
    Kilkenny cat , what did you think of the game? Was there a good atmosphere at it? Where were you sitting?

Here's a letter I send to the local newspaper here this morning . Kinda says how I feel today :(

Dear Editor,
    Huge disappointment again in Waterford after the cup final loss for all us "Blues" supporters.
    Just like 1968-72-79 & 1986 we are beaten in the final. Conceding 2 goals after being one up with less than 5 minutes to go is not easy to take. Fair dues to Longford who are now a great cup team.
    However there are more serious issues also. Along with being a "Blues" supporter I am also a follower of my native county Kilkenny in hurling & was very impressed with both the level & volume of support for the Decies in August's hurling semi final. They done everything to lift their side on that occasion in Croke park. .
    Quite the opposite Sunday. That a city & county with a population of over 120,000 were outnumbered by a provincial town does not auger well for the future of soccer in Waterford.
    I still feel there is a future for soccer in this area but unfortunately the RSC is one of the worst in the league of Ireland for atmosphere. Even when we have large home followings it just does not give a sense of togetherness between players & supporters. This could be one reason for the pitiful Waterford support numbers in Lansdowne Sunday.
    We need to get a ground of our own based on the Ozier Park model as quickly as we possibly can to ensure survival of professional football which has a great history here in Waterford.

So where were you sitting?

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    So where were you sitting?

kdjac

Bang in centre of east stand lower. Where the Waterford support ended & longford's started in next block. Atmosphere wasn't bad at all.
    Best joke I heard was when 3 waterford fans arrived behind me & one said to the others , "great stadium isn't it". And i'm almost certain he was serious :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

That a city & county with a population of over 120,000

Think waterford has a max population of around 90,000
    CCentral Statistics Office 2002:

City council area: 44,594
    Urban population: 46,736

/me end pointless nick picking

bizmark wrote:
    Think waterford has a max population of around 90,000

/me end pointless nick picking

http://www.cso.ie/principalstats/cenpop.html

Wrong even then was 101,546.
    But its now 120,000 bizmark & growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

http://www.cso.ie/principalstats/cenpop.html

Wrong even then was 101,546.
    But its now 120,000 bizmark & growing.

I stand corrected

445,000 for cork :) should stop now before i get banned for pointless off topic posting

well done longford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Watched it on TV, it was a good game, certainly better than watching the circus of Nistlerooy, Pires and co. tumbling about. I thought Waterford got a little too complacent after scoring, sat back and allowed Longford to press them. Just a shame about Pat Dolan doing the commentary, argh, the man's voice just got on my nerves.

Low attendances? Who cares?

Advertisement