Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio not working in MS Messenger (Eircom BB)

Options
  • 25-10-2004 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    Tried having a webcam conversation with my brother in Italy.
    Webcam worked fine but we could not have a phone conversation.
    This did not work even when both firewall's were off.

When i used a dialup connection (OceanFree) the webcam and voice worked fine.

Any suggestions on how to fix this ?

Thanks,
    BB

PS: It is a modem issue or an Eircom issue (i.e. not allowing voice traffic?)

Specs:
    BB: Eircom
    Modem: Netopia Caymen 3341 with USB, Eth port
    Computer: Sony Viao laptop with Win2K (i'm using modem's USB port)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

You need to have uPNP enabled on your router (i think). Messenger uses random ports for voice conversations, and so if uPNP is disabled, you can't use it (unless it randomly chooses a port thats already opened).

Check for uPNP in your router setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

This is a problem with alot of people, as seen here. Apperantly it's a conflict with the rtcdll.dll file installed with MSN Messenger. The newer versions of Messenger supposedly(sp?) come with the fixed version. I've tried the solutions on the website above and they still don't work.

EDIT: I need to learn how to read. Didn't see that it worked on dialup :rolleyes:
    Also, just found this on the eircom website.

"Universal Plug and Play (UPnP(tm)) is a set of protocols that allows a PC to automatically discover other UPnP devices (anything from an internet gateway device to a light switch), retrieve an XML description of the device and its services, control the device, and subscribe to real-time event notification.

By default, UPnP is enabled on the Netopia Gateway.

For Windows XP users, the automatic discovery feature places an icon representing the Netopia Gateway automatically in the "My Network Places" folder. Double-clicking this icon opens the Gateway's web UI.

PCs using UPnP can retrieve the Gateway's WAN IP address, and automatically create NAT port maps. This means that applications that support UPnP, and are used with a UPnP enabled Netopia Gateway, will not need application layer gateway support on the Netopia Gateway to work through NAT.

You can disable UPnP, if you are not using any UPnP devices or applications."

UPNP support is included as standard with Netopia firmware 7.3.3R0. New firmware can be downloaded to your router by clicking on the Update Firmware button on your Netopia router. This can be accessed using the following URL http://127.0.0.1/SmartDevice/UpdateConfirm

This will allow applications like MSN Messenger or an Xbox game console to communicate with the Netopia Gateway to create NAT port mappings.

link

Might be of some help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved.

Advertisement