Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C compiler

Options
  • 25-10-2004 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if there is any free compiler i can use other than Cygwin+GCC to compile my C code. If i compile it in Cygwin, the programs need Cygwin1.dll to run, and so isn't really that portable. I've heard of a few other compilers, but i don't want to download em all and test if they leave the files with dependancies like Cygwin does.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭talos

How about this one ? ;););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I can't get the bugger to install. Maybe something slightly more recent would work... i don't have a floppy drive, and it refuses to install off the HD for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Google for gcc compiler. It's done from a command prompt, but it works flawlessly (in my limited basic usage of it so far in 1st year...)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭talos

ciaranfo wrote:
    Google for gcc compiler. It's done from a command prompt, but it works flawlessly (in my limited basic usage of it so far in 1st year...)
    But amn't i already using the GCC compiler? Isn't that the one causing the problems?
    I'm just wondering if there is any free compiler i can use other than Cygwin+GCC to compile my C code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Can you statically link cygwin1.dll libraries into your app? It will bulk the executable a bit but will remove the dependency.
    There are many apps out there that require cygwin1.dll to run. I believe you are allowed to distribute this dll with your app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You should be able to use GCC on windows without Cygwin by using MinGW (Minimalist GNU for Windows). You can also use it to compile Windows programs under linux. Dev-C++ is distributed with GCC/MinGW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

This IDE rocks and seems to be used by a lot of coders on this board. And it's freeee!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

lcc-win32 as linked by talos earlier. It does what it says on the tin. (links with MS c runtime dll, that is shipped with all windows vers these days)

• Advertisement

i'll give em a shot now. Wish me luck! Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

You should be able to use GCC on windows without Cygwin by using MinGW (Minimalist GNU for Windows). You can also use it to compile Windows programs under linux. Dev-C++ is distributed with GCC/MinGW.
    YES!!! This is the perfect windows based C compiler. No gay .NET poop.

If you're in a linux environment (or shell), or *nix at all just use its command line:
    g++ file.cpp -o myfile
    &&
    ./myfile

Note that you can also use gcc instead of g++ in the above line. (certain environments, like FreeBSD seem to require g++ however).

Advertisement