Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Funny Sound on a Citreon Xsara

Options
  • 25-10-2004 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭

The better half has a citreon xsara, in the last day or two it is making a funny ticking sound when you take your foot off the accelerator. Any ideas before i bring it to a garage? It sounds like its comming from the front (i.e. engine) its not the exhaust as far as i can make out and not the suspension either, grateful for any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I'm assuming you can hear this noise in the cabin with the engine running? Does it happen at higher speeds? Does it only happen when the car is moving? Can you hear anything under the bonnet if someone revs the engine?

Ticking noises on a stationary car are usually associated with metal expanding or cooling (brakes/manifold/exhaust/cat convertor). Ticking noises on a running car and coming from the engine might be alternator/cooling fan/water pump associated or more extremely due to valve timing or timing belt about to let up - I had a Civic which 'ticked' on the overrun ie when I lifted off the accelerator and I tracked the problem to the camshaft drive wheel having come loose. The ticking was the valves hitting the pistons when the cam timing was delayed.

Bottom line - more info please for better diagnosis....

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

"I'm assuming you can hear this noise in the cabin with the engine running"

Only when moving and the foot comes off the pedal

" Does it happen at higher speeds?"

20MPH+

"Does it only happen when the car is moving"
    "Can you hear anything under the bonnet if someone revs the engine? "
    No

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Could be a gearbox or driveshaft problem. When you lift off the throttle does it tick for a few seconds and then go away or does it keep ticking until you put your foot back on the throttle.

Does it tick with the drive to the wheels disengaged or engaged or both? If it ticks while the drive is engaged but not while disengaged then it could well be a transmission problem although it's hard to know.

Also, does the ticking get worse when turning?

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

"When you lift off the throttle does it tick for a few seconds and then go away or does it keep ticking until you put your foot back on the throttle."

It keeps ticking until the throttle is pushed again

"Does it tick with the drive to the wheels disengaged or engaged or both"
    Only when disengaged

"Also, does the ticking get worse when turning"
    No

Advertisement