Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster cruise to Victory against Leinster .

• 25-10-2004 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭

'Deane goal helps Munster to victory
    24/10/2004 - 13:51:49

Leinster 0-13 Munster 1-21, Croke Park, 12pm,

Cork corner forward Joe Deane scored the only goal of the game as Munster strode confidently to next month’s Martin Donnelly & Co. Inter-provincial Hurling final with a 1-21 to 0-13 win at Croke Park this afternoon.

The 26-year-old Killeagh forward, one of 13 Rebels named in last week’s Vodafone All-Stars, scored on 40 minutes to move Munster 1-11 to 0-9 in front.

Deane turned from his right to left to drill a great shot beyond the dive of Wexford goalkeeper Damien Fitzhenry.

The sides were level at 0-8 apiece at the break as Tipperary’s Eoin Kelly and Clare’s Niall Gilligan led the Munster scorers to Leinster’s Henry Shefflin and James Young – a late call-up to the Darragh Ryan-skippered Leinster.

Kilkenny’s Eddie Brennan pointed in the first minute of the second half but three Kelly points before Deane’s goal had Donie Nealon’s side edging in front.

Further scores from Gilligan, Ollie Moran, Deane and Moran again helped Munster ease ahead to victory. Young (0-2), Kilkenny’s Tommy Walsh and Wexford corner forward Michael Jacob – scoring the final point of the game – showed signs of a Leinster fightback but it proved too little too late.

Munster, with 43 Railway Cup titles, take on Connacht - 2-24 to 2-11 winners over Ulster yesterday - in the November 7th final.

Referee: T McIntyre (Antrim) '

source:BreakingNews.ie

well there were many who claim that Leinster hurling is better than Munster hurling , but not only do Munster have more competitive counties(5 compared to Leinster's 2 and a half) they have better players in general .

It was great to see the two best keepers in the country playing in the one game , and they both showed why they are the best , with both of them making some fine saves .

I don't want to sound like Kilkenny Cat saying how great my team is so il stop now and wait for other people's opinion , and I am also interested to hear people's opinion on whats gonna happen in the final .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I got in early to Croke Park to see it. The Aussies that were there loved it. It wasn't a brilliant game for those that know it, but you could hear loads of ooohs and aaahs in Australian accents as they watched in amazement. Here are some of my pictures of the day

HActions.jpg

HClears.jpg

HAction3.jpg

You can see Brendan Cummins making a great save in the second half in the bottom right picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ishnid

It's a shame there were so few at it with so many fantastic hurlers on display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Both goalies were on top form looking at the tv clips Sunday night.
    Not much chance of the McGarry all star this year either as it has to be Fitzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

The game was not heavily advertised, IMHO

Plus the Waterford hurlers (Mount Sion) were down playing Limerick's best over the weekend.

So 3 counties versus 2.5 (Offaly are not that bad !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

jolly wrote:
    Offaly are not that bad !

They would lose to any Munster side other than Kerry (who have pulled out of the Munster championship this year) , and have no chance of winning the all-Ireland .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Big Ears wrote:
    They would lose to any Munster side other than Kerry .
    As a Waterford man, I must ask the question : Would they even lose to Clare ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

jolly wrote:
    As a Waterford man, I must ask the question : Would they even lose to Clare ? ;)

good one , but unless im stil very tired , they lost to Clare in the qualifyers last year .

Advertisement