Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

• 19-06-2001 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

any one got this on dvd yet?
    it was released 16th June

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

16th? thought it was supposed to be realesed on the 18th?
    Have mine booked, should have it today
    biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

aye, it is released today, I will be getting mine on the way home from work

smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

How much is it?

Miaow.

Lucy la morte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I got it 1.5 weeks ago for $19. Well worth the cash. V.sad movie though pcrying.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

got it right here, lots special features, looks like a good disk.

There was a special edition one for the same price (??) that you get the soundtrack with, but i have that already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yeah just got it myself for 21.99 in HMV, I also got the non-special edition as it has a nicer cover and I alrady have the soundtrack smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

are there 2 versions?
    i can only find one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Pigsback are selling a version for 15.99 inc delivery.

I'd like to sound deep, but fun like a fruit pie but not as sugary. A sour fruit pie. I'm in the process of unravelling the greater and lesser meaning of things, casting aside society's assumptions and expectations in a bid to become an original thinker/writer, but possibly in the process turning into a bit of a cliché.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MiCr0:
    are there 2 versions?
    i can only find one
    </font>

2 versions, different covers, the only difference between them is that the 'limited edition' also contains a CD with some of the soundtrack on it. Both are widescreen and have the same features etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

saw it last night for the first time (i love that feeling when you know that the movie you gonna watch is gonna be a good one smile.gif ) , excellent. the people in work will think im nuts doing all mad moves and fighting the watercooler. pity for the sad ending. frown.gif

adnans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Saw it lastnight......that is one class flick

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

got it yesterday :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah saw it for the first time myself. Very good film but I agree with a review I read recently that the media were crawling over each other to praise this film for it's fantasy Kung Fu fighting, beautiful photography, haunting music and top-notch story, something that has been done, dare I say, even better in other classic Kung Fu movies.

this film seems to have a bit of everything, it doesn't have the best plot ever, or fight seq's. but all together is an excellent film. a must have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

heard loads about that film
    think ill rent it tonight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Is this a subtitled version, or is it dubbed?

If it is dubbed, how well is it done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

yep
    got both dubbed (bad) and original mandarin version's on the dvd
    </font>

Mmmmmm, Mandarins wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

It's got both afaik, original with/without subtitles and "Ang Lee approved" dubbed version.

yep
    got both dubbed (bad) and original mandarin version's on the dvd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

The dubbing is pretty poor. The last line of the film is pretty important & is changed totally in the dubbed version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Excellent flick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

it doesn't have the best plot ever</font>

It's actually based on a Chinese fairytale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Saw this flick at a Norwegian Cinema.... never even occured to us that it was in Mandarin & would be subtitled in Norwegian!! Needless to say the Film was a lil disappointing & difficult to follow wink.gif

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

After all the hype, I got this out on DVD yesterday for a night in with the missus.
    I was very disappointed, so much so that I fell asleep.

P.S. I think the decision to release an overdubbed version rather than subtitled was a bad one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

surly your DVD had the subtitles as well biggrin.gif

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Yes I think so, but those subtitles would be for deaf people I would imagine therefore the movie is still overdubbed.
    Or can anyone contradict this and tell me if the original language version was on the DVD too (I didn't look)?

Yes it is. You can (and should) watch it in Mandarin with English subtitles which is how it was released in the cinema.

There's also a dubbed version, seemingly approved by Ang Lee, which I have seen a bit of and they seemed to do a pretty good job on the dubbing. (unlike Das Boot for example).

Apart from those there's the usual language options and subtitle combinations for endless variety!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeh the dubbing is probably the best I've ever seen. They could be mistaken for actually speaking english its so good. Class film, though when I buy it I'll be getting the original subtitled version.. thats the way its meant to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 leelu

Weird question I know....

but you know the sequence where they're chasing each other over the rooves? well has anyone ever had a dream like that? The person I saw it with was almost poo-pooing the fact they could "fly" but it struck a chord with me...

am I the only one out there with these weird floating dreams?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

I saw it, had to watch it in Subtitles because I don't understand Mandarin and I refuse to watch any film dubbed. It ruins the film to watch it dubbed, I can read fast enough so Subtitles aren't a problem. I thought it was quite amazing, a little too short, but then I'm finding that with most films. I wish there had been more about the Wudan training, the whole flying/gliding thing confused me. Apart from that, yes, quite amazing.

It's just a tail, but I'm sort of attached to it.

Lucy la morte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lucy_la_morte:
    ... I thought it was quite amazing, a little too short, but then I'm finding that with most films. I wish there had been more about the Wudan training, the whole flying/gliding thing confused me.
    </font>

Wait for the Prequel(s) and you'll see ! I think that CTHD was based on book three of the story.

books is by Du Lu Wang
    any idea what its called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rymus:
    yeh the dubbing is probably the best I've ever seen. They could be mistaken for actually speaking english its so good. Class film, though when I buy it I'll be getting the original subtitled version.. thats the way its meant to be!</font>

You get both subtitiled and dubbed versions on the same DVD

Advertisement