Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More and more and more pointless remakes...

• 25-10-2004 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

As I'm generally fuming about the constant pointless remakes that are being spewed out these days, I think it's time for another thread on the subject.

I found out that it's time again for another rehashing of Invansion Of The Body Snatchers! We've also got May Day, a "Re-imagining" of The Wicker Man. Assualt On Precinct 13 is getting a do-over aswell. The Eye is about ready to be butchered.

Why!?!?! For gods sake why!?!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Why!?!?! For gods sake why!?!?
    dollars-.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

"Its all about the Benjamin's"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ok, 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' could be done well. I feel that the 1979 remake was superior to the original, so it shows that can be done.

'The Wicker Man', I felt was always a bit of an obscure classic that I didn't get. It was alright, but I never really saw the appeal so a remake here wouldn't bother me. Assumedly though, if it does go ahead, the remake will lose the odd mysticism that gave it the look and feel in the first place.

'Assault on Precinct 13'. I don't like this idea because I like Carpenter's work around this time. Then again they did a neat fun job with Dawn of the Dead so it could.. maybe.. work.

'The Eye' never blew me away. It's decent but I've felt there's a lot more interesting stuff from Asia that I've come across recently. I personally think re-making 'A Tale of Two Sisters' is a worse crime and I'm gonna smack the man who even thinks about remaking 'Save the Green Planet!'

What about the 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' remake then? The original is a childhood favourite but the fact Tim Burton is onboard with Johnny Depp makes me hopeful.

Which leads me to ask ya Karl - do you approve of any remakes? I'll be interested in your take on 'The Grudge' because, apparently, it's as good as its Ju-On origins, having the same director behind it. And what's your opinion on "The Ring 2"? I'm sure you prefer "Ringu" to "Ring", but Hideo Nakata is onboard for this sequel - does that make you more hopeful? And "Dark Waters" will, at least, have Jennifer Connolly onboard although, in this case, it'll be a tough job maintaining the unease that I felt watching Nakata's original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

They're remaking Dark Waters?
    Are they just going to go through every single semi-popular Asian horror film and remake it?

They're remaking Taxi aswell, which I don't really see the point to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

ugh, and I used to think that Bollywood was bad for constantly copying hollywood.

the ironing is delicious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

ixoy wrote:
    Which leads me to ask ya Karl - do you approve of any remakes? I'll be interested in your take on 'The Grudge' because, apparently, it's as good as its Ju-On origins, having the same director behind it. And what's your opinion on "The Ring 2"? I'm sure you prefer "Ringu" to "Ring", but Hideo Nakata is onboard for this sequel - does that make you more hopeful? And "Dark Waters" will, at least, have Jennifer Connolly onboard although, in this case, it'll be a tough job maintaining the unease that I felt watching Nakata's original.

I've never seen Ju-On, nor the remake, so I've really no opinion there. But any kind of opinion that says it's as good as the original aren't going to wash with me, as I've heard many statements about the Ring being superior to the original, aswell as comments about the yanks "Correcting" the mistakes of the Japanese. I'll have to see for myself really.

As for Hideo Nakata, I think I answered that question already in the other thread.
    Nakata was already sliding in my estimation with all the naff sequel nonsense, and the "More of the same" effort that was Dark Water. Sequels can be just as destructive to an original film as remakes can tbh.

And to add to this, Nakata is diving straight into the remake bandwagon with The Entity his next project.

Funnily enough, the remake of Dark Water was supposed to have been released ages ago, but keeps slipping back. One release had it pegged for Halloween this year, but now it's pushed back untill summer next year. The reason is that test audiences supposedly thought it was absolute ****, and they're refilming quite a bit. So things certainly aren't looking good for that.

As for whether or not I approve of any remake, there's obviously The Thing. 99% of the time, no I don't approve. I'll also corcur with the 1979 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but I'll raise you the hideous abortion that was the 1993 version. But those few examples don't mean that remaking films in general is a good idea. It's like saying that because The Godfather Part 2 was amazing, that most films should have sequels.

Mak, I forgot about the remake of Taxi... it looks absolutely horrible from what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I'd also like to point out that they're re-making The Warriors.

But they've got Tony Scott directing it. So I've got a boner for this film already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

As long as Eminem and D-12 are kept well away from it (see Fight Music video) that could actually be a very good remake.

Another one under the butcher's cleaver is Suspiria.

Yay.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Oh hey, don't forget that Jim Sheridan is remaking Kurosawa's Ikiru. I haven't seen the original in this case but I imagine there's not going to be a huge need for it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Don't understand why they wanted to remake the Grudge cause the original wasn't great.While it had its moments it wasn't in the same league as The Ring or The Eye!

ixoy wrote:

ixoy wrote:
    Oh hey, don't forget that Jim Sheridan is remaking Kurosawa's Ikiru. I haven't seen the original in this case but I imagine there's not going to be a huge need for it...

Ugh... Sheridan is a good director mind you, but nobody should touch Ikiru.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Fly is getting done again next year.

I like both the original and Cronenberg's version as they are both great in different ways. Much like the two versions of the Thing. But I really don't think we need a second remake of either of them though. (The Thing is also being done again)

But then the directors and writers can always fall back on the original source material and say they aren't doing a remake, merely another adaption of the book. Clooney's Solaris is a good example of this.

And you can always do something interesting with a remake. Such as The Seven Samurai becoming the Magnificent Seven, and then Battle Beyond the Stars and also a Bugs Life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

wow, susperia, why?

A bit off topic but I came across this link earlier

http://www.kfccinema.com/features/articles/letter_miramax/letter_miramax.html

seeing as we are bitching about the state of cinema alot these days. ;)

Advertisement