Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WTF? Satan is on board....

• 25-10-2004 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13240371,00.html
    A Royal Navy sailor has been officially recognised as a Satanist and allowed to practise rituals on board ship.

Naval technician Christopher Cranmer, 24, from Edinburgh, has been in the Navy for four years and a practising Satanist for nine years.

He has recently returned from a tour in the Gulf and Indian Ocean on HMS Cumberland, during which his beliefs were officially recognised by his commanding officer.

A spokesman for the Royal Navy said: "We are an equal opportunities employer and we don't stop anybody from having their own religious values.

"Wherever practical, reasonable requests for time and facilities that do not impact on operational effectiveness or the welfare of other personnel are met."

Mr Hand told The Sunday Telegraph he realised he was a Satanist after reading a copy of the Satanic Bible - written by Church of Satan founder Anton Szandor LaVey.

He said: "I didn't want to feel I couldn't get out my Satanic Bible and relax in bed. I didn't want to bite my tongue any more when dealing with idiots."

The church promotes Nine Satanic Statements, including indulgence instead of abstinence and vengeance instead of turning the other cheek.

Former Tory minister Ann Widdecombe condemned the decision.

She said: "Satanism is wrong. What they believe and do in their own home is one thing, what they do at work is the business of their employer.

"The Navy should not permit Satanist practices on board its ships."

PC gone mad if you ask me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

"I worship Hitler, therefore is it ok to slaughter any Jews that come into the video shop looking for a movie? I should be allowed to practice my religion in the workplace, do you have something against the Aryan race or something!?"

Have to agree with you there though- its a load of shtit! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Don't be silly. Satanism (real satanism) isn't the hollywood stereotyping you guys are obviously buying into. Its merely an appreciation of nature, like paganism of old. TBH makes a lot more sense than some of the silly religions out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm going to agree with RE*AC*TOR here, it's a great sign that the Navy is accepting this guys religious freedom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Don't be silly. Satanism (real satanism) isn't the hollywood stereotyping you guys are obviously buying into. Its merely an appreciation of nature, like paganism of old. TBH makes a lot more sense than some of the silly religions out there.

true. but does seem weird. each to there own i suppose

*goes to get virgin for sacrifice*

Rabies wrote:
    true. but does seem weird. each to there own i suppose

*goes to get virgin for sacrifice*
    Yeah "sacrifice"

Not what they called it in MY day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

From Wikipedia.org
    Satanism is a religious or philosophical movement centered around Satan or another dark lord identified with Satan, or centered around the forces of nature, particularly human nature, represented by Satan as an archetype. Unlike many religions and philosophies, Satanism generally focuses upon the spiritual advancement of the self, rather than upon submission to a deity or a set of moral codes.

Ok, for example, who thinks sex is a good thing?
    There you go - on the road to satanism.

Fair enough Re*ac*tor, I admit I was a bit rash in beig so disdainful but I have to say I'd be a bit worried about what they call 'Rituals'. If i was one of his crewmates I'd probably find these a bit disturbing. Does anyone know what these rituals are or am I just thinking stereotypically?

Mass is a christian ritual, meditation is a buddhist and hindu ritual....

PeadarofAodh, people are afraid of what they don't understand. Thats how religion started in the first place.

• Advertisement

Mass may well be a christian ritual but I'm sure there are some 'religions which have very disturbing rituals. I'm sure this ritual isn't one of them seeing as he's being allowed practice it on board. Don't think I'm being narrow-minded, I'm just curious about what actually happens.

"There is nothing better I like than drinking the blood and eating the body of some dead guy once a week."

When fully explained by a priest it doesn't sound too bad. Easy to be shocked by things your unsure about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I wonder if Widdicombe minds people reading bibles on UK warboats. Fair play to the Navy for that one, quite refreshing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

I think this is excellent news. Satanism is a proper religion and should be recognized as one. My religion teachers have not believed it to be. My mother was quite shocked with this until i explained what satanism was. Heheh. Satanism is fun!

superconor wrote:
    I think this is excellent news. Satanism is a proper religion and should be recognized as one. My religion teachers have not believed it to be. My mother was quite shocked with this until i explained what satanism was. Heheh. Satanism is fun!
    Excellent. That's all Satanism needs an intelligent and mature spokesperson!
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pipe down and let's all bleed for the Dark Lord.

Or something.

Good, upstanding Christians have done far more evil than any other religious group.

Sarky wrote:
    Pipe down and let's all bleed for the Dark Lord.

Or something.

Good, upstanding Christians have done far more evil than any other religious group.

Could be because they're one of the most common religions.... I'm sure there are lots of cults linked to Satanism that are doing terrible things so its a bit unfair to defend a religion by blackening another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

satanism is cool, that guy is really taking the piss out of the more established bull**** religions

i think ill make up a religion too, and demand equal rights for it in work, religious days etc

was it in the uk that a load of people put jedi on the census?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

[rant]
    The thing that I thing is obscene, is the way that aboard a vessel of war, the crew are allowed to worship a god which is against war, and is all for "turning the other cheek" when hit. Does the MoD not nee that some of them mey become "Born Again Christains", and refuse to do their job whilst at war???

I say we ban all peace-loving religions on all veseels of war!
    [/rant]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Provided he's not actually sacrificing anyone who doesn't want it, he should be allowed do what he wants. It's good to see they're not being so ridiculously biased.

Still, I am of the opinion that religion has little place anywhere! *mutters, hides from flames while muttering*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I wonder if Widdicombe minds...

Anne Widdecombe minds anything that will get her in the media...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Satan is an invention of the Catholic Church.

I wonder if they will let practising Jedis on board?

Yes, but I believe they have to leave their lightsabers on shore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hobbes wrote:
    Satan is an invention of the Catholic Church.

I wonder if they will let practising Jedis on board?
    Some of the idea's. The horn's were put in, so that the beast would look like the Stag, one of the main pagan deities, and to make it look evil.

In some old texts, Satan is called Luicfer, which is another pagan god.

As for practising Jedis, they'll proberly put them on the 'puters ;) :cool:

Advertisement