Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 Exp pack!

Options
  • 25-10-2004 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Oh who didnt see this coming.
    id Software(TM) and Activision, Inc. will unleash an all-new assault on humanity with DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil(TM), the official expansion pack to the fastest selling PC first- person action game ever in the U.S., according to NPD Techworld. Co-developed by Nerve Software and id Software, DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil continues the terrifying and intense action of the already classic DOOM 3, which Maxim and Computer Gaming World awarded "five out of five stars" and the Associated Press called "one of the scariest games ever made." Through the discovery of a timeless and evil artifact you now hold the powers of Hell in your hands, and the demons have come to hunt you down and take it back. Following the events of DOOM 3 and featuring new locations, characters and weapons, including the return of the double-barreled shotgun, DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil expands the terrifying action that fans and critics have been raving about. The title will require the full retail version of DOOM 3, and has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041025/lam081_1.html

DOOM 3 Expands
    id Software Amplifies the Terror With Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil(TM) announces plans for Resurrection of Evil, an upcoming expansion for DOOM 3 that "continues the frightening and gripping single player experience of the blockbuster original. The title also features even more multiplayer action with support for up to eight players in all new maps." Here's a bit more on the project, which is scheduled for release when it's done.

Another dev team working on RTCW 2 using D3 engine so 2 new games to look forward to
    :rolleyes:

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

which is scheduled for release when it's done.
    So that'll be christmas 2006, then? :)

A bit more variety, alot more hell, and some more levels like the CPU core, and it'll be worth getting...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Great, a boring expansion to go with a boring game.

and more 'eye candy' for the d3 fanbois to dirty their sheets with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

hevent botherd to plasy the first 1 yet but this sounds good if i like the firstt 1

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The title also features even more multiplayer action with support for up to eight players in all new maps
    Unless you get the crack, which supports up to 64 players.

=-=

Hopefully the levels will be more "open". Doom 2 job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

including the return of the double-barreled shotgun

If they mess with the super shotgun sound effect in anyway from doom 2 [except maybe make it even louder] then they are just gimps. Best sound in a game ever.

doom 3 was crap.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Jesus i just had a lovely flashback of the gloved hand putting 2 in the chamber of that shotgun...it was a great sound. the weapons in Doom3 werent great. the plasma rifle sucked...so did the Quake2 rocket launcher which somehow appeared...it sucked...

There is not way they will put in the same sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Dustaz wrote:
    Great, a boring expansion to go with a boring game.

and more 'eye candy' for the d3 fanbois to dirty their sheets with.

Here here.

Eye candy does not a good game make. I mean, monster closets for crying out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

KdjaC wrote:
    Oh who didnt see this coming.

Another dev team working on RTCW 2 using D3 engine so 2 new games to look forward to
    :rolleyes:

kdjac

Im somewhat disturbed as Im actually looking forward to the RTCW sequel relative to a Doom3 rehash.. :eek:

Matt

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i played the first one and got bored im not gonna play this one as i predict boredom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I'd pay money for an expansion pack that would make D3 good. I wont be holding my breath though...should be free as well tbh - to make up for the robbery that was D3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

/me shuffles feet.

i thought D3 was best game i played this year ,simple scary FPS.
    Did what it said on the box.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Damn straight Kdjac. Ill be getting this.
    Also if RTCW2 has multiplayer like RTCW, and graphics like doom 3...all i can say is..oh yes.

Deadwing wrote:
    Damn straight Kdjac. Ill be getting this.
    Also if RTCW2 has multiplayer like RTCW, and graphics like doom 3...all i can say is..oh yes.

**** complete brain melt , same lads who made ET doing RTCW 2 ,hasnt been officialy confirmed its them but trust me it is.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Hope not, Splash Damage left ET buggy as hell. I was still holding out hope for Grey Matter doing RTCW2.

Havn't played through Doom3 yet so don't really care about the expansion but if they're gonna charge for it then it'd want to be more than just a mappack and new weapons. Thats what the modding community is for :D

PcP wrote:
    Hope not, Splash Damage left ET buggy as hell. I was still holding out hope for Grey Matter doing RTCW2.

Havn't played through Doom3 yet so don't really care about the expansion but if they're gonna charge for it then it'd want to be more than just a mappack and new weapons. Thats what the modding community is for :D

I never noticed any bugs in ET, and i was a hardcore ET player!!
    As for the modding community and thier weapons and mappacks, tbh whenever ive downloaded a mod im always underwhelmed with map and weapon design. Best left to the professionals if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Loved the original when it was the first game I played on a playstation and I loved Doom III when it came to Pc many years later. Looking forward to the expansion pack!

Bring on the eye candy and I disagree personally about it not making a good game because it's part of the big picture in any game and adds to the overall effect when you play it. Who would be buying the game if the graphics were changed to a bunch of rectangles, squares, triangles and circles moving about your screen on a black background and your two arms appeared as white rectangular blocks with another rectangular block attached to denote your gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

PcP wrote:
    Hope not, Splash Damage left ET buggy as hell.
    ET buggy? ET was a master piece IMO as far as free games go, superb on-line game, and I cant say I have noticed any bugs in it either have had many a fun Marathons of it at LANs (2 of us played it on-line together once for 18 hours straight).

Yeah dont get me wrong, ET is my most played game by a long long way and I'll be playing it until RTCW2 comes out. Here's a few ETMain bugs of the top of my head:
    Plant mines near the switch on Railgun when it's up or someone is lowering it and they disappear but still use up your charge metre. Standing on enemy mines but they don't hiss or smoke to let you know you're on one. Tanks that wont move and can't be repaired. Broken fixed physics (p_move). Hitboxes are screwed up - head hitboxes don't follow the player model so you have to improvise and shoot air to register headshots.

ETPro runs on most servers and fixed most of them but that is from the modding community. My point was simply that Grey Matter did a cracking job on RTCW but Splash Damage (whilst still very admirable for a free game) left ET unfinished, so I hope its Grey Matter and not SD doing RTCW2.

Talk about going off-topic :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

koneko wrote:
    Here here.

Eye candy does not a good game make. I mean, monster closets for crying out loud.

Yes, I certainly did cry out loud. Frequently and in terror.

But by all means, let the Doom 3 hateboys continue to their endlessly boring campaign of trying to convince those of us who actually enjoyed playing Doom 3 that it's like so five minutes ago.

Here's a question I'd like to ask those who keep banging the doom3 = shit drum have failed to answer: What exactly were you expecting?

Let's apply your logic to say Lord of the Rings. Great visual effects/ cinematography but OMG THE STORY IS SO OLD! It was written years ago and I even knew what was going to happen in the end! Obviously anybody who read the books hated the films.

Also forgive me for not being incredibly cynical about the sequel to RCTW. I'm trying really hard to not look forward to it but just can't help being excited about killing super cyborg nazi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

pam wrote:
    Also forgive me for not being incredibly cynical about the sequel to RCTW. I'm trying really hard to not look forward to it but just can't help being excited about killing super cyborg nazi's.

Jesus that sounds crap. Everyone knows Nazi's don't exist.

• Advertisement

PcP wrote:
    Hitboxes are screwed up - head hitboxes don't follow the player model so you have to improvise and shoot air to register headshots.

Tbh tho youd hardly notice something like that in ET, its one of the most hectic games ive ever played. The other bugs are hardly game ruining either really, i myself havent come across the unmoving tank one you said or any of the others. Not saying they dont exsist, just saying i havent experienced them!!

And yeah, as long as RTCW has leather dominatrix fem-nazis in d3 engine graphics, ill be very happy :D

ET is FREE ie costs nowt , how the **** can you complain about a game thats free?

FFs a new low in whining. Splash Damage were a mod team who moved onto a dev comapny , they fukked up ET in that it weasnt released commerically but that was Activisions decision not Splash damages, tbh i would pay for ET better online than most other games which cost 60 (any MOH exp pack , Soldner , Far cry online , Typhhon rising )

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

mayordenis wrote:
    i played the first one and got bored im not gonna play this one as i predict boredom
    my thoughts exactly. I tried really hard to like the game, and to a certain point I did - but talk about repetitive!

/sighs..

Deadwing that tank bug is one of the few that hasn't been fixed and still happens from time to time. The hitboxes do make a diffence ie. a player swimming has the hitboxes for a player standing (can kill them without even shooting near the water). The fixed physics make a huge difference to the game and make it so everyone can move the same speed, jump the same distance etc. regardless of what spec machine they have so you get an even playing field.

Kdjac, yeah I'd be more than happy to pay for ET too. It's the only game I play competively and easily my favourite game. Again, my point was simply a comparison between the two, not to whine about ET. RTCW was a better made game, simple as that. Pointing out the bugs that have been around for over a year, and that most ET players and I'm sure SD already know about hardly constitutes whining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

pam wrote:
    OMG THE STORY IS SO OLD!

Gameplay <> Story and thats what was lacking in D3. Maybe its our own fault for expecting so much of ID - but be honest - shouldnt a company who virtually invented the fps - have produced a better game than D3? Where was the fun?

ID used to be about more than just eye-candy.

Not saying I wanted a HL script-athon - but a happy medium would have been nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

KdjaC wrote:
    **** complete brain melt , same lads who made ET doing RTCW 2 ,hasnt been officialy confirmed its them but trust me it is.

kdjac
    Originally ET was meant to come out with a single player game, but the single player lagged behind too much, so they released the multiplayer as a freebie.
    It sounds like this time, they actually hope to do a proper job of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

doom3 was very freaky, and I really enjoyed the datapad entries that gave you a little insight into the dead people and monsters/humans you saw around the place
    where you have to kill the first screaming head, after getting the plasma weapon.. where the women is clutching her head and groaning "help me"... that disturbed me very very muchp

but the game itself was just boring, the fear didn't keep me interested long after that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I reckon people should just stop talking about how good/bad Doom 3 is....tis just one of those wedge type issues....ends up in a flame-type situtation...and that ain't good when one of the mods is a big fan!!!! ;)

Advertisement