Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pi

• 16-06-2001 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

WHat channel ?

lsvader.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

great movie. excellent soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Saw Pi last night. Best mathematical thriller I've ever seen anyway.

The whole film looks weird, some glary bright effect or other and the camera work is great. Sound is super-duper and all.

Anyone else seen it?

I'm the Dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Amazing movie but i wasnt sure about the sound track. It works for the movie sure, but i wouldnt want to listen to it on its own.

I'd like to sound deep, but fun like a fruit pie but not as sugary. A sour fruit pie. I'm in the process of unravelling the greater and lesser meaning of things, casting aside society's assumptions and expectations in a bid to become an original thinker/writer, but possibly in the process turning into a bit of a cliché.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I found the movie to be kack.

If your into that sort of thing you should read "Foucaults Pendulum" by Umberto Eco which the movie was a slight rip-off from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Ri-ra

I'm not as hard-core as Hobbes, but the film was disappointing. BTW what had pi to do with the Fibonacci sequence?

Loved Foucault's Pendulum, hated the ending. I think Eco wimped out in the name of "common sense". Ho hum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Have Pi on DVD. Really liked it. The soundtrack by Clint Mansell was very good. Bought the soundtrack first then the DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ri-ra:
    I'm not as hard-core as Hobbes, but the film was disappointing. BTW what had pi to do with the Fibonacci sequence?
    </font>

http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibpi.html#piandfib

There are an infinite number os formulae to calculate pi to arbitrary degrees of preciseness using fib sequences. It is generally one of the methods which is used in computing to calculate pi to larger and larger degrees of accuracy.

As to PI vs Focaults - I think both are worthy.

jc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Never watched Pi. I assumed it was more pretentious toss along the lines of Eraserhead. Now that was true arty farty tripe.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Hope that book you mentioned is good as I bought it. Must get Name of the Rose now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Kaidos

Myself and a few friends watched Pi. Rather, we watched about three quarters of it before we had to turn it off in extreme pain. I guess we are too shallow to appreciate it, as we agreed that it was the worst film we had ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Saw it ages ago.
    Thought it was a really good film.
    Wouldn't make a lot of sense if you don't know anything about it. I hope that didn't sound pretentious, it wasn't meant to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Scorpion

Aye, 'twas a cool flick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Discoballpaul

*cough* nerd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

"Foucaults Pendulum" by Umberto Eco was an excellent read.
    can't see it in movie form though....
    wierd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Scorpion

*cough* yer aulone

Advertisement