Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maths question - leaving cert algebra

Options
  • 25-10-2004 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Can anybody help with this leaving cert maths question. its algebra part c .

The quadratic equation f(x) = ax^2+ bx +c is shown , where a>0 ( a diagram of a quadratic curve is shown with the curve touching the x axis at point p ).

The curve touches the x-axis at the point p.

Find the co-ordinates of the point p in terms of a and b

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Hi,

First of all i'm probably competely wrong here....

First of all if the graph touches at one point only, then there's only one root.
    So b^2-4ac=0.
    therefore....b^2=4ac

With this in mind, you can sub this into the quadratic formula to get x, this cancels out the square root part so you get (-b)/2a for x.

So your answer should be (-b/2a,0)!

I'm well rusty at this stuff, someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Yeah that's right.
    f(x) = 0 at x = p
    f(p) = 0
    ap^2 + bp + c = 0
    Use -b formula. You know there's only one value of x so b^2 - 4ac must = 0. That leaves you with -b/2a. Obviously the y coordinate is 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

What year was the question? All the solutions are available online - http://www.education.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ublinina

Thanks for the help
    That seems to be the correct answer.
    (-b/2a)..

Advertisement