Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City - Fellini's - they are taking the michael!

Options
  • 25-10-2004 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi Guys,

Just back from Cork City Centre [ Monday evening 25/10/2004 ]. On Careys Lane [ the next side street down to the right as you look at HMV on Patrick St ] Fellini's is a Cafe which up to recently offered reasonable value for money, not the best, but not the worst either. About 2/3 months ago [ according to my wifes calculations, having been there in that time frame ] they changed there menu. They really must be taking the .... now.

I ordered an AMERICANO Coffee and an ITALIAN Sandwich. The coffee was a regular cup of black - €2.95 and here is the best bit - The ITALIAN SANDWICH €12.00 for a Panini with Brie Cheese, 3 slices of Salami [ thin ] toasted with two small side salads [ desert spoon size ] of diced beetroot and mixed chopped tomato and onion. Oh yes also included a dollop of relish.

My wife ordered a MOCHA Coffee - €4.00 plus a danish heated with cream about €2.50. The total bill came to €21.45.

All I can say is never again. I was disappointed as this Cafe used to be reasonable and also provided generous enough portions. Somehow I think they may regret there new prices as customers may get stung once and then move on.

Any one else have experiences of this establishment?

Cheers
    Bobalong

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

bobalong wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Just back from Cork City Centre [ Monday evening 25/10/2004 ]. On Careys Lane [ the next side street down to the right as you look at HMV on Patrick St ] Fellini's is a Cafe which up to recently offered reasonable value for money, not the best, but not the worst either. About 2/3 months ago [ according to my wifes calculations, having been there in that time frame ] they changed there menu. They really must be taking the .... now.

I ordered an AMERICANO Coffee and an ITALIAN Sandwich. The coffee was a regular cup of black - ?2.95 and here is the best bit - The ITALIAN SANDWICH ?12.00 for a Panini with Brie Cheese, 3 slices of Salami [ thin ] toasted with two small side salads [ desert spoon size ] of diced beetroot and mixed chopped tomato and onion. Oh yes also included a dollop of relish.

My wife ordered a MOCHA Coffee - ?4.00 plus a danish heated with cream about ?2.50. The total bill came to ?21.45.

All I can say is never again. I was disappointed as this Cafe used to be reasonable and also provided generous enough portions. Somehow I think they may regret there new prices as customers may get stung once and then move on.

Any one else have experiences of this establishment?

Cheers
    Bobalong

Amazing! I was just about to post about this!

I was also a farily regular customer there.

I noticed the price changes when I went there last Sunday, though. I paid E12 for bruschetta with goat's cheese then. They've changed the menu so you can't make direct comparisons but I remember being able to get a smoked salmon panini there (with about the same amount of food as the bruschetta) for around E8 before.

I won't be going there anymore which is a pity because it's a nice place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Jazz Festival Weekend in Cork was always an excuse to take the p1ss. In the 1980's they used to put the price of Guinness up for the w/e even though Guinness were sponsoring the bleddy thing. It'd be back down again by Monday evening.

Are you sure that these were not festival prices ?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Muck wrote:
    Jazz Festival Weekend in Cork was always an excuse to take the p1ss. In the 1980's they used to put the price of Guinness up for the w/e even though Guinness were sponsoring the bleddy thing. It'd be back down again by Monday evening.

Are you sure that these were not festival prices ?

M
    thtas what i thought too, but one of the posts said it was about 2/3 months ago?

12 yoyos for a sandwich, did they not have the price on the menu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

dmeehan wrote:
    thtas what i thought too, but one of the posts said it was about 2/3 months ago?

12 yoyos for a sandwich, did they not have the price on the menu?

I was very hungry. The stomach is a cruel mistress.

Besides, there's a paucity of good cafés in Cork, of a Sunday especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bobalong

Hi Guys,

Great to see replies. It makes one feel less cheated in the sense that something good may come of this ie they will end up lowering prices again due to customer drought.

Anyway, YES we looked at the menu and saw €12. Rather deceptive though as it actually said ITALIAN SANDWICH PLATTER. Its the PLATTER that would make you think well this must be substantial and the reason for the €12. As you can see from my description above the word PLATTER, in this case is rather desceptive and not the word one should use for the above described product.

With respect to the JAZZ WEEKEND - this menu was not temporary. It was the usual large A3 type menu they always had, but with new prices and products. My wife and buddy were in Fellini's about a month and a half ago or so and she said they had the old menu. She usually got the Croque Monsieur [ Pardon the spelling ] which cost around €6. This is why we went in this Monday only to be confronted with a new menu with such deceptive text as PLATTER.

Hope this clears up a few more things AND adds new info which I previously forgot to mention. For what its worth I sent a mail to the EVENING ECHO and CORK LIFE Mag just to see if one can get a reaction. The ECHO is around the corner to Fellini's. I included a link to this thread in those emails.

I also went to the FELLINI Website at:

http://www.fellinicafe.ie

Guess what no email address, just a phone number. Avoiding emails maybe?

Cheers
    Bobalong

• Advertisement
Advertisement