Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shadow Of The Vampire - *Review*

• 08-07-2001 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Now this is a film that REALLY restores my faith in the movie industry...

Extremely clever film, and one I think that anyone who would like something... Different, Should go and see this second!

Now, the idea behind the film is this:
    When shooting the early film classic Nosferatu, what if the director had actualy used a REAL vampire in the role...

It's really quite a genius film, and WONDERFULLY shot, very artistic.

And Willem Dafoe's preformance as the vampire is flawless, and truly astounding... Earned himself an oscar nomination and all for this role!

Great cast too...

My only couple of gripes with the film, is John Malkovich's accent slipped far too often.
    And it is a little short too...

But, really worth seeing.
    The scenes from the original film, wonderfully recreated...

It's out on video now, sadly, it didn't get a cinema release (Or at least, not around here...)

hellweather.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 leelu

Actually I think it had a brief spell on in the IFC. A friend of mine went to see it and he thought it was great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Saw it in the Kino Cinema in Cork, very good film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Naw, well... I'm in Galway, only one cinema, and they didn't show it... frown.gif

Pity... Truly kick ass film... Pretty funny too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

Just got it on video tonight, really good stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AngelWhore:
    Now this is a film that REALLY restores my faith in the movie industry...</font>
    Most definitely. I thought the entire cast was excellent - although I would agree about JM's accent.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Now, the idea behind the film is this:
    When shooting the early film classic Nosferatu, what if the director had actualy used a REAL vampire in the role...
    </font>
    I could be wrong, but I understand that there was a lot of strangeness about the shooting of Nosferatu, mostly due to the lead role being played by a "method" actor, who (it is rumoured) basically did turn himself into a vampire. AFAIK, the premise for the movie is taking a common "movie legend" and then going one step further. Superb tho.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    It's out on video now, sadly, it didn't get a cinema release (Or at least, not around here...)
    </font>
    IFC had it for defo, cause I saw it there. Out to buy on R1 DVD. Think the R2 release isnt too far away either.

Its a pity - great cast, great movie, great reviews. Somehow, however, not mainstream enough for a major release nor major box-office takings. This, for me, is the simple explanation of why 90%+ of what Hollymud produces is such drek - its what the public want to see.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Nice one, I am definetly considering buying it on DVD at some stage...

A while after watching the film now, it still sticking in my head.
    Don't know too much about the original film though, and the stories surrownding it, so, your guess is probably better than mine.

But I really was suprised at John M's accent... Quite bad in comparison to his other stuff, but fantastic acting none the less.

Willem Dafoe was barely recognisable! Definetly the best role he's had since Platoon!

Advertisement