Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"He forgot Poland"

Options
  • 26-10-2004 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭

What is the context of this quote?

Also about Bush and timber (other being as thick as two short planks).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

During the 1st Presidential debate, Kerry was talking about the nature of US coalition building for the Iraq war, and said (not a direct quote or 'owt) that there was only the US, the UK, and Australia in from the start. Bush responded with "he forgot Poland".

The "got wood" comment was another gem from Bush after Kerry declared that Bush earns money from a logging company in the 2nd debate IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Carpo

The "got wood" comment was another gem from Bush after Kerry declared that Bush earns money from a logging company in the 2nd debate IIRC.

As far as I remember, Kerry was making a point about the vagueness of the Bush Administrations definition of 'small business man' for the purposes of tax cuts, by saying that Bush himself was a small business man under that definition because he owned a few shares in a logging company in Texas. This came as a surprise to Mr Bush (even though its true) and with his usual amazing talent to seamlessly ad lib, he made a joke "Want some wood?". This of course instantly caught on, particularly on the internets, because of its resemblence to the 'Got Wood?' catchphrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Carpo wrote:
    As far as I remember, Kerry was making a point about the vagueness of the Bush Administrations definition of 'small business man' for the purposes of tax cuts, by saying that Bush himself was a small business man under that definition because he owned a few shares in a logging company in Texas. This came as a surprise to Mr Bush (even though its true) and with his usual amazing talent to seamlessly ad lib, he made a joke "Want some wood?". This of course instantly caught on, particularly on the internets, because of its resemblence to the 'Got Wood?' catchphrase.

Thats it. The actual phrase used was "need some wood?"
    "I own a timber company?" Bush asked. "That's news to me." Then he paused and added, "Need some wood?"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,134939,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The Poland comment was - for me - highlighted by none other than His Wittiness himself - Jon Stewart of The Daily Show. I saw it in the run-up to the second debate, and then when Bush stressed Poland again in the second debate as their second or third biggest partner, I almost fell off my chair laughing.

Concerning the wood comment...David Corn pointed out here :
    But as Factchek.org notes, Bush did qualify as "small business owner" under his definition of small businesses because he reported $84 in business income from his part ownership of a timber enterprise.

So, while Kerry's comment might have been news to Mr. Bush, it was factually accurate.

jc

Advertisement