Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cartoon

Options
  • 02-07-2001 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Was talking to a couple of mates about how cartoons today compare with what they were back in the 80's and early 90's. I mean they were brill back then

Anyone remember Count Ducula - classic *sob* we'll never see the like again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

nanny from Count Ducula 0wnz. - "ducky-poos"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

We've had this topic before...

but i aint complaining

cartoons well i use to be very anti modern cartoons until i got cartoon network which has loads of good ones BUT my fav was japanaese 1992 cartoon seies known as TENCHI!!!!! TENCHI RULES!!!!!! i have no idea why but i luv it to bits and i never miss a episode not even for cs ahhh

it really cool anime which i thought was not popular then i poked onto the net to find they have a forum board an all for it so i now think TENCHI MUYO/UNIVERSE/IN TOKYO/AND THE THREE FILMS all rock and i wanna get and keep them all hahahaha (sadly i only saw muyo and universe but gettin movies this month)

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

If you notice thought, when anybody between the ages of 14-30 (30 possibly pushing it) start's talking about cartoons, it's always the ones from the 80's.. Mainly because they were the best, but also because they're from their childhood memories etc.. smile.gif Smoggies was a great cartoon, not many people remember it though. Mysterious Cities of Gold had a very well developed story too!

As for Count Ducula (Duckula?), it's still on Sky One I believe, and available to buy on DVD. Wasn't the voice done by David Jason?

It's just a tail, but I'm sort of attached to it.

Lucy la morte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Dexters lab? Power Puff girls? Cow and Chicken? they're bloody deadly, I envy kids who get to grow up with this .. and its only going to get better and more ****ed up in future as well.. hooray!

I grew up with dangermouse and inspector gadget... yet I don't watch them now if they're on the tv, screw nostalgia... only old show I watch is Magic Roundabout cos Dylans like far out man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lucy_la_morte:
    Wasn't the voice done by David Jason?
    </font>

Indeed it was smile.gif

...he also did Dangermouse, from the show of the same name ... which rocked smile.gif

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

the only 80s ones I remember evwen vaguely was Dungeons and Dragons and MASK .Classy show MASK ...they all wore masks ,except for the bad guys ..who obviously werent utter Morons . But theese days I cant get enough of Johnny Bravo . Hes just five flavours of funny smile.gif

The Man From Delmonte , He Say "Yes"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    Dexters lab? Power Puff girls? Cow and Chicken? they're bloody deadly, I envy kids who get to grow up with this .. and its only going to get better and more ****ed up in future as well.. hooray!
    </font>

The mans got a point smile.gif

Smoggies was a great cartoon, not many people remember it though.</font>

wasn't that the one with the island of little goodie people and a polluting boat ofshore with a professor, some old bitch and a big idiot guy??

yep thats the one and boy did it suck... the bad guys wanted to pollute the place and every week they'd plot to do just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

i wanna see Danger Mouse reinvent himself and come out screaming "Thug Life" and driving a fly Bently, instead of that lame machine he used to cruise the ghetto in.
    smile.gif

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

Its hard to seperate Quality from nostalgia but here goes:

For nostalgia: Battle of the Planets

For Quality: Batman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smoke-me-a-kipper:
    wasn't that the one with the island of little goodie people and a polluting boat ofshore with a professor, some old bitch and a big idiot guy??</font>

Yep! It damn well was, great show..
    List of good cartoons (if you're young/old enough)
    The Racoons
    Visionaries
    Galaxy High
    Raggie Dolls
    Rude Dog and the Dweebs.

People always leave these ones out when picking out the classic cartoons.. They're probably all too old and missed it.

Best modern cartoon I think is Powerpuff Girls.. Just because you're not a kid anymore Kali, you can still watch (aslong as you hide it in the privacy of your own home and deny any relation to them).

It's just a tail, but I'm sort of attached to it.

Lucy la morte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Pokemon rules! I love each and every episode! You heard it here first folks!

Raggie Dolls
    </font>

its the raggie dolls, raggie dolls, dolls like u and me.... raggie dolls, raggie dolls.

also SuperTed = ownage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

SuperTed in Irish *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 [Scrappy]

emm..why has no1 mentioned "Scooby Doo" ?? -- the best show of all time... come on..don't you remember that fun loving puppy Scrappy Doo and his adventure with his uncle Scooby (The ****) ..Scrappy 0wnz you all !!..come on..dont you remember?..."puppy powerrrrrrrr", "neat-o", "I'll splat 'em", and "Let me at 'em!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I think everyone will agree with me if i mention Transformers (the movie is out on dvd shortly afaik smile.gif ). I still have around 5 tapes of all the episodes which my mom taped for me when i was younger smile.gif

*cough*
    daves l33t site 0wns j00.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Fat man on around the bend owns you all smile.gif

or Centurians

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

he-man and the masters of the universe
    jase and the wheeled warriors
    transformers
    top-cat
    danger mouse
    pokémon
    digimon
    the tick
    spiderman(the first cartoon series, not the
    futuristic crap)
    phantom( again same comment ^^^)
    fantastic 4
    dungeons & dragons
    x-men
    wren and stimpy
    centurians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

Catch the Pigeon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Mysterious Cities of Gold had a very well developed story too!
    </font>

MY GOD!!! I thought I was the only one who knew of it's existance...

Man, that was a good show...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

MCOG fan? I think you'll be interested in this;

http://www.medvale.demon.co.uk/gold.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GREENHELL:
    SuperTed in Irish *shudder* </font>

Heh... yeah... I remember that... with good reason too smile.gif

(My aunt was Superted's voice !)

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Voltron is also fantastic...and how come no one's mentioned any of the Warner Brothers classics? Or the Hanna Barbera ones?

The Yogi Bear show, and all the Warner Bros. gang are what I grew up with, alongside Voltron, He-Man, Dangermouse(Ooooo crumbs, DM! Ooooo Crumbs!!) Transformers Thundercats(Thundercats!! HOOOOOOOOOO!!) and of course MASK. All my old toys are still lurking in my attic at home somewhere, including a near-life-size T-bot bike.

Imho- Pokemon is a poor cousin to true anime- the likes of Voltron, Kore Masenuke or the legendary Gundams made for far better entertainment than a bunch of little pocket monsters slugging it out. Battletech wasn't bad either- all the shows I mention there had plots of epic scope and scale, stunning action sequences and deep-running plots. I can't say the same for Pokemon when I watch it I'm sorry to say frown.gif

Loads more classics I've forgotten- but they'll come back to me smile.gif

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Alea Jacta Est=

space ghost.
    birdman.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dungeons & Dragons,
    It was the best cartoon I have ever seen. I would pay any money to see any of there old shows. Also the one off cartoon of lord of the rings was class as well.Salior Moon rocked as well smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Ri-ra

And who could forget the Hair Bear Bunch (the crime fighting bears with afros)?

All of you apparently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

Spawn - the animated series (obviously smile.gif), and of course all the old classics.

But oh, no tears please, fear and pain may acompany death, but it is desire that sheperds its certainty, as we shall see...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus:
    true anime- the likes of Voltron, Kore Masenuke or the legendary Gundams made for far better entertainment than a bunch of little pocket monsters slugging it out.

Blitz----

Dont Forget TENCHI!! my fave anime/cartoon. It seems Japanease are the only ones who like proper plot driven cartoons Western world seems to like on off funny cartoons. While i enjoy them i perfer plot ones with humour mixed in to the right degree.

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

• Advertisement

Was there an Actual Spaceghost on the subject of it? , Ive only ever seen Space Ghost Coast to coast , which a larf . If there was it must have been before my time

Advertisement