Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friendly Mouse Traps - Where to buy them?

• 26-10-2004 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am having a bit of a problem with mice in my house, i live in the country and a few field mice have moved in. They are so brazen they don't even run very fast away when i find them, they obviously know that I am not going to kill them. I want to catch them in one of those friendly mouse traps and release them back into a field 10 miles away. Any idea where I might find those traps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I bought one recently from Boardwalk Pets on the quays in Dublin in between the ha'penny and the millenium bridge on the Temple Bar side, it was a Rentokil humane mouse trap and it cost 9.99.
    It worked really well and caught us a really tiny dormouse which I subsequently released.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I was in Woodies DIY in Lucan today and they had them. I *think* they were $5.99. Good to see not everyone wants to kill them! I saw a field mouse for the first time a while ago and could not BELIEVE how tiny they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Before I got my pet rats I would have killed the mouse without thinking about it, but the mouse is really only similar to a small rat so now there is no way I could have done it. My girlfriend was at home when the mouse was caught so I got her to put it into our spare rat cage with shredded paper bedding until I got home to release it. It was a really cute animal and like a tiny version of the rats, no way I could have harmed it. They do smell pretty bad though, the rats have practically no smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I used humane mousetraps when we had mice in the new house we'd moved into. It caught all of them. I only bought two but over the space of about 2 weeks we caught 4 or 5 mice (seemed to be a family aswell as 2 of them were tiny and went in the trap at the same time - which was cute).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You might also want to borrow a *male* cat. Not to be sexist or anything, but generally female cats are better hunters; but for some strange reason mice dislike the heavy scent of a male cat, and will often move out.

I get mice moving in every winter too; apart from the endless cleaning this requires (getting rid of their scent trail with hot water, detergent and citronella, to make them feel disoriented) I don't actually mind too much - even though they do spread disease with their urine - but what I can't stand is the fleas they bring. Go away, mice!

I've never found the *black* humane traps any good, but the see-through ones worked fine when I could get them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement