Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S Presidential Elections - Dare to call it?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Countdown to the recount
    http://www.theonion.com/images/408/article3000.jpg

* How to make your vote recount
    * Where to re-register for the re-vote
    * When will the next president be appointed?
    * Polls show Supreme Court split 5-4:a closer look at the swing justices
    * The Electral College reconsidered for the 20 billionth time
    * Is your state really a state
    * Your dead relatives:how they'll vote, and why
    * A state-by-state breakdown of likley fraud and malfeasance
    * Should the two Americas hold separate elections?
    * A look at the recount campaign ads
    * Which facts to ignore and which emotional pleas to take to heart
    * Five reasons why you may or may not want to throw
    up your hands and stop caring altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

sorry, it was some president anyway. Carter?
    i don't know, I remember reading in the Irish Times: Fomer president so and so...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"jimmy carter says yes
    jimmy carter says yes"

utter bastard that chap

oh shut up... wait your right.

I think a good bush up the ass would sreve those gun-totting americans right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

omnicorp wrote:
    i don't know, I remember reading in the Irish Times: Fomer president so and so...

Maybe it was Mary Robinson? Or His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular?

• Advertisement

no, It was a Us president overseeing elections in other countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

omnicorp wrote:

Only you could mix harry "I helped invent the cold war" truman with Jimmy "nice guy" carter.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Kerry - I seriously think it's a *lot* closer than people care to realise right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Is it likely that the Electoral College could be tied 269-269?

Methinks that George W will just about nick it as when in doubt, people are probably more likely to vote for the incumbent moron when they have to choose more or less between two candidates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that's what seperates america from the rest of the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Who said anything about America being different from the rest of the world? I certainly didn't mean to and I will edit my post accordingly now. In any case the point was that George Bush will IMO probably get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mordeth wrote:
    that's what seperates america from the rest of the world?
    The Oceans. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Methinks ... when in doubt, people are probably more likely to vote for the incumbent moron when they have to choose more or less between two candidates.

In contrast to that, I've seen a number of interviews with US election "experts", and they have generally agreed that - come voting day - the undecided voters who go out and vote typically break 2-1 in favour of the challenger.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Get back on topic, or else I'm telling...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I want to see a Kerry win.
    I fear a Bush win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Dubya will win. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I'll go with Kerry to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Hard to call it, could very easily go eitehr way, all eyes on Florida do as I think that state will decide the election, or maybe even the Supreme Court again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Its gonna be Bush.

I feel it in me bones.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Despite the latest polls indicating a neck-and-neck tie, I'm going to say Bush will win it because the world's a mean place. If matters come to asking the Supreme Court for a decision, or for it to passed before the Senate, I think I'll weep but I fear it won't even come to that. I could ask why, why, Bush is doing as well as he is but it's something we're probably all asking... *sigh* Oh well nearly there frown.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I said Kerry earlier, but I've a sinking feeling that OBL's appearance on video will tilt the election in Bush's favour...

Read an interesting article in the Observer yesterday. If the electoral college is tied, the House of Reps choose a President, and the Senate a VP.

Now the House is sewn up for the GOP, but there's a small chance the Dems could take back the Senate. In that case it could be a Bush/Edwards administration.

T'would be worth the mayhem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

bush

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I have an increasing expectation thats its going to be kerry!
    Record number of new voters should tip the scale in his favour, although its going to be close!

go kerry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

Interesting read there also note on what it says on the mobile phone factor, but tbh I would be surprised if kerry wins by that margin but if he takes florida and pennsylvania(sp?) then it must be kerry. If bush loses ohio(which would be a big turnaround :eek: ) then kerry i think will walk it but its all too close to call it will be an interesting night.
    Kinda looking forward to staying up and watching it on cnn bbc and sky news!

Hawaii could go bush aswell!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Interesting to note that the developer of the Electoral Vote website "came out" today. He's Andrew Tanenbaum, the developer of MINIX (which is the precursor to Linux). Read more here:

http://www.electoral-vote.com/info/votemaster-faq.html

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

Based on the trends I'm seeing, I really think Kerry will be the winner. However, if it's very close, and it looks like it will be, both sides will mount so many legal challenges that we may very well not know for sure on Wednesday morning (or mourning, as the case may be).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Interesting section on msnbc.com, you can pick and choose who you think will win in each state and it counts up the electoral vote for you. If kerry looses ohio he can still secure the electoral college if he wins the other midwest states and florida, and of course the traditional democratic voting states. http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6028629/?ta=y

Wonder what the odds are for Kerry to win texas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

If the Washington Redskins have anything to do with it, Kerry is on his way to the White House.

http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/election.asp

The 'Redskins' were beaten last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

Wonder what the odds are for Kerry to win texas ;)

Let's put it this way: It's a good thing that Kerry doesn't need to carry Texas to win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Kerry will win, and it won't be by a small margin.

Advertisement