Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The League Cup

• 26-10-2004 1:07pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Milk Cup, The Coca-Cola cup, The Worthington Cup, The Carling Cup, The [Insert Name] Cup.. No matter what they call it, the importance of it never changes. Many have different views on the importance of the league cup.
    Certain clubs see it as another opportunity to play against the big boys of the Premiership. A mini F.A cup in which players from the lower leagues can come head to head with the elites of their profession. The same as in the F.A cup, but without that little bit of extra magic.
    Other sides, such as those who have lingered around the Premiership for many years see it as an opportunity to get into Europe. Middlesborough it was last season and they are still going strong in the early stages of the UEFA cup. It allows the Gareth Southgate’s of the game prove they can cut it on the continental stage even if the clubs they are in can’t peak in their own league.

Unfortunately some teams see the League Cup as an annoyance. A competition that only gets in the way of the preparation for bigger things. Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson have many a time showed their dis-interest in the cup although it was only two seasons now that United decided to go all the way only to be beaten by us mighty reds in the final

Gerard Houllier did the smart thing while he was at Liverpool. He saw the League cup as an opportunity to give the players who weren’t getting a game in the Premiership, a chance to shine. Unfortunately it was French players who couldn’t get into the first 11 that needed opportunities rather than the young blood coming from the youth system. All the same, Houllier took the league cup seriously and it paid off, adding to the trophies in the cabinet on more than one occasion.

Benitez goes into tomorrow evening’s game, managing in his league cup game since his arrival on Merseyside. I’m sure that it isn’t something that attracted him to the job, but it is a task all the same. I hope that he does take it seriously for the whole 90 minutes of every game while at the same time giving youth players opportunities they need if they are to complete there dream of playing for Liverpool Football Club.

Do you take the League Cup seriously?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Um GH only followed on from Alex and Arse , they been playing players just outside the 1st team for years.

I like it tis football when there none on and for some teams it a passport to europe.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I watch it to see how the youngsters at United are developing. I dont really take it seriously at all,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Hopefully be a way into Europe for the Villa this year! :D
    I'm going to be murdered later, my girlfriends mum's a Burnley fan and I won't be able to keep my mouth shut! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Dub13 wrote:
    The [Insert Name] Cup

Rumbelows Cup, Littlewoods Cup....Seriously though it's a good competition for smaller clubs to try and get into Europe and earn a few quid. However for years UEFA had been threatining to take away the UEFA Cup place for the winners if the Prem. was not reduced to 18 teams, is that story still around ??.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Dub13 wrote:
    Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson have many a time showed their dis-interest in the cup although it was only two seasons now that United decided to go all the way only to be beaten by us mighty reds in the final

Gerard Houllier did the smart thing while he was at Liverpool. He saw the League cup as an opportunity to give the players who weren’t getting a game in the Premiership, a chance to shine.
    Erm, Wenger and Fergie show disinterest by playing understrength teams, yet Houllier "did the smart thing" by doing the same? Hmm. No contradiction there then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

As a boro fan, i have to say that i love the competition!

It gives the smaller clubs a chance to get into europe without having to finish in the top 5 or 6 of the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I am a toon fan and although I expect my side to get into Europe on the regular route (the league and hopefully into Europe's elite comp and not second tier Cup)

However it will be 36 years later this year that Newcastle have not won a major trophy , and I am begging for them to just win this mickey mouse competiton .

Im desperate to see my side win any 'major' trophy so the more competition/chances for them to do so the better .

I also like to watch the youth teams of clubs in the competiton too , so thats another reason why I like this competition .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Houlliers policy was smart and more progressive than Wengers or Fergies. Liverpool would get through the early rounds using a mix of fringe and known talent then with the quater finals he would field a full strength side. The other two would use a mix of youngsters until they got knockerd out, esp Arsenal.

Anyway tonight I predict a scare but a win for Pool*.

Mike.

* thats it they're fvcked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Ears wrote:
    I-

However it will be 36 years later this year that Newcastle have not won a major trophy , and I am begging for them to just win this mickey mouse competiton .

Im desperate to see my side win any 'major' trophy so the more competition/chances for them to do so the better .

Competition Time
    Spot the contadiction in those two sentences:D

Only joking Big Ears I do get your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The Muppet wrote:
    Competition Time
    Spot the contadiction in those two sentences:D

Only joking Big Ears I do get your point.

is it about the years because its 36 years next year :o .
    Those are the type of facts you like to forget about you're club .
    Or is it the major trophy and then I refer to it as a mickey mouse trophy ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Anyone know if there is a highlights of the Carling Cup on any stations tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Hopefully be a way into Europe for the Villa this year! :D
    I'm going to be murdered later, my girlfriends mum's a Burnley fan and I won't be able to keep my mouth shut! :D

3-1 to the Burnley :confused: You've got a lot to shout about mate :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

They are showing the highlights on Sky I think.

Liverpool won 3 nil over Millwall. Tough enough game. Good win, some of the younger players did well. Traore put in a decent performance too from what I saw. Baros got 2 goals, thats 6 for the season now.

Millwall 0 3 Liverpool
    A second-string Liverpool side eased their way into the Carling Cup fourth round after a fiesty cup tie.

Having survived an early bout of Millwall pressure, Liverpool took the lead through Salif Diao's stabbed shot.

Millwall had their chances, notably Neil Harris, while late on Darren Ward hit the bar with a flicked header.

But after Graham Stack spilled Milan Baros' pass to Darren Potter, the Czech forward pounced and late on he bagged a second with another drilled effort.

Millwall gave Liverpool some uncomfortable moments, troubling Rafael Benitez's side with some slick movement.

Adrian Serioux's long throws also caused Jerzy Dudek some difficulty.

At times the tie threatened to boil as Djimi Traore squared up to Marvin Elliott and Neil Mellor lashed out at Kevin Muscat after the Australian's late challenge on the Liverpool striker.

Benitez was also incensed by Alan Dunne's high tackle on Milan Baros, while on 79 minutes Muscat and Baros were yellow-carded after a brief confrontation.

Benitez had made 10 changes to the side that beat Charlton at the weekend, with only Traore remaining in from Saturday's team.

As the Liverpool side got to know one another Harris almost gave Millwall the lead as he ran clear.

Having timed his run to perfection, Harris' first touch was far from perfect allowing Dudek to rush out and smother the ball.

Serioux's ability to propel the ball a huge distance from one of his throw-ins also unsettled Dudek, who surrounded by a pack of players, struggled to punch clear.

Having survived those two scares, Liverpool began to exert pressure on Millwall's defence.

First Florent Sinama-Pongolle broke free, slipping a pass to Neil Mellor, whose shot was smothered by Kevin Muscat.

Igor Biscan also tried his luck with a shot and a header.

On 18 minutes the Millwall defence buckled, when from Potter's corner, Ward was unable to head the ball clear, allowing Diao to volley home with a precise finish.

Millwall redoubled their attacking efforts with Serioux's throws continuing to trouble the Liverpool defence, while Harris went close with a header after a corner.

But Liverpool were not content to sit back on their lead and Sinama-Pongolle's pace opened up the Millwall defence.

The young French striker laid the ball off to Mellor, who shot straight at Stack.

Immediately after the restart Sinama-Pongolle's pace allowed him to latch onto a Potter pass, though from a tight angle, the Frenchman hit the side-netting.

Sinama-Pongolle was injured in attempting his shot and soon after he was replaced by Baros.

On 52 minutes Harris spurned a third chance, as he shrugged off Zak Whitbread's challenge, only for Dudek to save with his legs.

Baros' goal on 70 minutes made the game safe for Liverpool.

The Czech striker's pass released Potter, who was beaten to the ball by Stack.

But the Millwall keeper was unable to gather the ball cleanly, allowing Stephen Warnock to find Baros, who swiftly shot low and hard into the corner.

In stoppage time Potter sent clear and Baros once more finished with aplomb.

Oh and a riot too, it being Millwall. Apparently Den fans were chanting about Hillsborough and it kicked off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/h2cluster2/h2.cgi?thread=%3C1098823565-19353.31%40forum3.mh.bbc.co.uk%3E&find=%3C1098823565-19353.31%40forum3.mh.bbc.co.uk%3E&board=sixosix.division1&sort=Te

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

watched the game on sky, Zinadine Biscan played a blinder for the pool, honest, am not taking the mick, he really did have an excellent game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Good performance by the younger Liverpool players.

No suprise o see reports of the Milwall fans singing stuff like that. There is a good reason why they are still despised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

3-1 to the Burnley :confused: You've got a lot to shout about mate :D
    Think she's the only Burnley fan in the country, and I was up there for the duration of the game, complete with embarassing score updates! Boy was my face red! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

From an Irish point of view Darren Potter was quite impressive, albeit the jury is obviously very much still out as to whether he can make it with Liverpool or Ireland. He played on the right wing and was neat and tidy. Keeps possession well and passes well.

With 25 minutes to go, Benitez took off Mellor and brought on Finnan. He went to the right side of midfield and Potter played behind Baros. I think this showed that Benitez does like Potter. And Potter rewarded that faith by setting up the third goal with a great through ball to Baros.

He seems to have the potential to be a player in the Xabi Alonso mode, but has a long way to go. Hopefully he'll get a few more chances this season.

Graham Stack was unfortuately badly at fault for the second goal.

With a few minutes to go, Millwall gave a debut to Joe Healy - born in England, but with Irish parents and has already declared for Ireland. Apparently he's scored bags of goals at all levels so far, so he might be one to watch.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Anyone hear Gordon McQueen on Sky sports?

"Miller having a poor game just not in it oh no hes scored" and then "and now Miller set up the third for Richardson"

Commentators :D

Tonights results

Birmingham 0-1 Fulham
    Bolton 3-4 Tottenham
    Charlton 1-2 Crystal Palace
    Chelsea 1-0 West Ham
    Everton 2-0 Preston
    Man City 0-2 Arsenal
    Middlesbrough 3-0 Coventry
    Newcastle 2-1 Norwich
    Southampton 3-2 Colchester

and the 4th round draw

Burnley v Tottenham
    Nottm For v Fulham
    Newcastle v Chelsea
    Liverpool v Middlesbrough
    Watford v Southampton
    Man Utd v Crystal Palace
    Arsenal v Everton
    Cardiff v Portsmouth

Nov 9/10th

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Highlights tonite, itv 00:05

Lovely win for the Spurs...4 goals in one game? Thats not Santini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Kezman breaks his goal drought by scoring for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lovely win for the Spurs...4 goals in one game? Thats not Santini

Eh, 6 in the last round vs Oldham???

We've scored more goals in two Worthless Cup matches than out 10 league games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

mike65 wrote:
    Tonights results
    Man City 0-2 Arsenal
    not that it matters to much, but this match was 1-2. fowler scored a last minute penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Healio wrote:
    not that it matters to much, but this match was 1-2. fowler scored a last minute penalty.
    not that it matters much but it was a free kick :-)

van Persie played well enough and looks a good prospect for this season as a third striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Kezman breaks his goal drought by scoring for Chelsea.

Thank god for that!.....I have him in my fantasy team and he cost me 7 million!......worse 7 million i ever spent unless he starts scoring heavily now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Mike65 wrote:
    and the 4th round draw

Burnley v Tottenham
    Nottm For v Fulham
    Newcastle v Chelsea
    Liverpool v Middlesbrough
    Watford v Southampton
    Man Utd v Crystal Palace
    Arsenal v Everton
    Cardiff v Portsmouth

Bugger.. not such an easy ride this time.

Advertisement