Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attending lectures

Options
  • 26-10-2004 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

i was just wondering whats the story on the roll sheets that get sent around in lectures. do you get in sh*t for missing loadsa lectures or is it just so they can bump you up a grade at the end of the year if your attendence was good? dit being a college n all they hardly send letters home to your parents about missing lectures, do they?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

No - no letters to the parents.

The only classes you HAVE to attend are tutorials/labs.

If you pass the exams/assesments you pass the year.

But, trust me, goto ALL your leactures or you will fail - mayby not that year but you will be soo far behind the next year that you won't stand a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Lecturers will have no sympathy for you if you fail having attended no lectures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

Do they block your grant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

Computer Science may be different but I've found that I don't miss anything by not attending most lectures.

Computer Technology is all on Art Sloan's website and all he does in his lectures is read that out.
    Programming is all in the book and Michael Collins is just basically going through the book.
    Problem Solving is one I'd attend but again, books would have most of it.
    Everything we've done in Math's has been in the book I have.
    I wouldn't have missed much if I didn't attent any Communications lecture's.
    Math's modelling I have to attend.

Labs - All you do in labs is go to your lecturers website and do what it says, you can do all that at home.

Tutorials - haven't been to one yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭thafitz

yeah i havent gone to a communications lecture in ages! im in civil engineering and the maths seems simple enough so i havent been to that in a while either. the only thing that i have noticed is that once you get used to not going to lectures it can be hard to try and force yourself to go again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

tribble wrote:

But, trust me, goto ALL your leactures or you will fail - mayby not that year but you will be soo far behind the next year that you won't stand a chance.

Ah fer god's sake you don't think that's being a tad dramatic?
    I can say hand on heart that this is not applicable to my course ( that being journalism). I can see that it might ring true in computers courses etc where you have to build up knowledge in sequence, but it's not absolutely true for all courses. So, let's keep it in perspective. Go to lectures of course but if you have to miss one, don't let people put the fear of god in you by letting them convince you you'll fail.

And I can say this because I'm in fourth year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

the sheets that they send round are mainly for the grant students, but they do keep them. Obviously if your being marked on continuous assessment in certain labs or classes those are the ones that you really have to attend.
    DIT wont send a letter home to your parents unless you burn the place down, but if you are under 18 and burn the place down they possibly would in extreme cicumstances, but generally they will come to you first, and ask you what the problem is.
    Your course co-ordinater might be informed if you arent attending your lectures, it really depends on the class and the lecturer itself and how badly your doing in tests. And the course you are doing.
    Their main priority is to get you to pass, and they do notice those who really make the effort even if they arent getting the grades. For example if someone is trying really hard but gets a crappy mark in a written exam but does well at their labs, the lecturers will consider this fact at exam boards at the end of the year, and where possible according to the rules and marking schemes compensate you. Basically the more you try and the harder you work, the more you have someone fighting your corner at the end of the year as far as I can see it.
    For me, I never attended a maths class during third year, and I failed it first time round and had to repeat. So it really depends on what you think yourself and if you think you'll be able to catch up. To save yourself alot of worry I would go to the lecturer and tell him that you are really screwed and dont understand some of the material, hence your not attending classes because it makes you feel frustrated. I guarantee you if you can identify theories that you cant grasp he/she will help you along outside of lectures. If you think your ok though in classes without attending just make sure you have the notes, and good notes from someone who takes down the exam questions they practice in lectures too!

Advertisement