Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 156 Side Skirts

Options
  • 26-10-2004 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

I've bought a '01 alfa 156 recently. I've noticed the side skirts are coming away in the middle. I've pulled the skirt back a little and noticed a pin coming from the body of the car. My guess is that this pin mates with the skirt.

QUESTION: How do I reattach the skirts?...
    Having the right tools is half the job... the other half is experience. I have neither. Does anybody know who or where I can go to get this fixed.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 serpeh1

have you tried you local alfa garage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

FAB24 wrote:
    I've noticed the side skirts are coming away in the middle.

Hey Fab,

Get used to it, you'll be sticking alot of things back on that car over the next few years. They look fantastic when they are about 2-3 years old and then they just start falling apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FAB24

Cheers lad's.... my confidence is inspired!!!.
    Regarding quote:"try your Alfa dealer"... I should have realised there would be the obvious reply. I mean a place that won't charge an arm and a leg. Know what I mean. Thanks anyway.

The previous owner has looked after it. It only has 43k and just had it's Timing belt changed, early. (Along with all the other stuff that goes with it...tensioner etc.). There isn't a squeak out of it, so far. I can't believe there is still a stigma attached to it. Remeber the stigma about 'Skoda'...
    I hope the tales avoid me. I've known (As I'm sure you do) many very reputable car makes falling to peices. Surely I'm in good company.

Anybody out there got anything nice to say about the 156 V6?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I have a '99 1.8 TS for a year now and no problems with it. I noticed the skirts on mine were slightly loose too but has never been a problem. Certainly not coming off anway.

Timing belt has been changed on mine at 65k and I'm at 82k now. However, the clutch on mine was also changed at 50k and I have heard that the clutch can be problematic. So keep an eye out for clutch problems just in case.

Haven't driven the V6 but damn the 1.8 is fun to drive so I'm guessing the V6 must be lovely. I have to say though, even though loads of things were changed in it, I am really happy with it. (Mainly cause all the fixing was done out of someone else's pocket and I've had no troubles yet! :D)

Great to hear something posative. Guess there are a lot of people out there very Insular. Afraid to break away from the norm and try something different.

The V6 is very comfortable. You can hear very little road noise. Quiet as a mouse.. until that is you accelerate. Then there comes the sound of pure grace and power from the engine. THe power to weight really is spot on. THe delivery of power to the wheels is very perfect. I find I can't listen to the radio as I miss the sound from the engine!.. wierd.

Yeah. the skirt is not comming off. Like you said just loose in the middle. The fact I know it has made me want to get it fixed.

Good motoring dude!
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Did you try using some double sticky tape, or something very strong as silicon (industrial brand) if you could get your hands on it.

No I haven't. I'll consider it. The thing is there are holding pins coming out of the body. They are fine. I think the skirts will have to come completely off and align back into the pins. It looks like the skirt slides sideways to fit the pins. I'll search around for a place that has all the right stuff. If I mickey mouse it it will only come back to haunt me. Maybe the earlier comment about an Alfa dealer will be what I should do.

Thanks for all the posts so far lad's :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hey Fab,

Get used to it, you'll be sticking alot of things back on that car over the next few years. They look fantastic when they are about 2-3 years old and then they just start falling apart.

This view of Alfas is outdated - the build quality of the newer models is much better than it used to be. Because this perception still seems to be common, you can get a great value 2nd hand Alfa (this is nothing to do with the fact I am selling my 156 :D ).

With regards to the side skirts - I had the same problem when I changed a tyre badly, and my local alfa garage said to go to the local motor store and ask them what sealant to use to stick it back on. You will need to have some pressure against the side skirt for some time after, but it should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

FAB24 wrote:
    No I haven't. I'll consider it. The thing is there are holding pins coming out of the body. They are fine. I think the skirts will have to come completely off and align back into the pins. It looks like the skirt slides sideways to fit the pins. I'll search around for a place that has all the right stuff. If I mickey mouse it it will only come back to haunt me. Maybe the earlier comment about an Alfa dealer will be what I should do.

Thanks for all the posts so far lad's :eek:

those pins are replaceable, if the cach on the skirts are still intact, so an Alfa dealer should be able to provide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

FAB24 wrote:
    The V6 is very comfortable. You can hear very little road noise. Quiet as a mouse.. until that is you accelerate. Then there comes the sound of pure grace and power from the engine. THe power to weight really is spot on. THe delivery of power to the wheels is very perfect. I find I can't listen to the radio as I miss the sound from the engine!.. wierd.

Actually exactly the same as mine. It's as quiet and smooth when your under the 3000 rev mark but once you hit 3500 it just turns into a different car. I got the same feeling when I bought it first.

Coming out of a side street from stop on a nice straight 60mph road I would accellerate in first gear, realise I had accidentally gone over 3500, and then sound would begin! Purrrr to VROOOM! So I would find I just had to let the animal loose and get up to 60 in 2nd! Then brake like mad so I don't take off! Then down to 5th for a nice smooth ride again.

I'm no boy racer but it is unbelievable how it changes though - relaxing drive to animal in 2500 revs! :D Love it! I'd say it's not unlike the V6 - just that the V6 is more animal! :D

Although now, even though I do get the odd urge to let it loose I prefer to listen to my Pioneer DEH-P80MP, Bazooka Co-ax's and 10" Pioneer 200w sub! :D Friend of mine told me once that the sound system is the most enjoyable part of driving - didn't believe him then but tried out a new sound system anyway. He was right. And I bought a really good one shortly after. God having good quality music in the car is just delightful!

Oh and here is mine. :D

• Advertisement

Thanks again for all the info. Alfa dealer will fix it for 250 euro. everybody else I tried (Panel beaters.. back street garages etc.) said no.

Regards

Advertisement