Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Peel is dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

quit with the multiple posts would ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Eh, I put it on two different forums to which I thought it was equally relevant.

Get a life, seriously.

Seriously, read the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Maybe you could have checked to see if anyone had gotten the scoop before you?

WTF? Have I gone insane here? Show me on either of those boards where someone put up a post about the fact that a legend in radio had died? I mean I'm sorry but I just can't see it at all! I'm not bloody well spamming, I was just spreading the word coz I thought that people browsing the radio forum would actually care. Obviously I was wrong on that count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

This is the thing that can really get on my nerves about Boards sometimes.

Have a bit of respect for God's sake. Somebody died and all some of you are worried about is whether or not somebody has posted twice about it!! :rolleyes:

B.

Somebody died? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

spammy f*ck

roxy wrote:
    Show me on either of those boards where someone put up a post about the fact that a legend in radio had died?
    flav0rflav wrote:

This is on After Hours. I said show me where someone had posted about Peel on either the phantom or the music/radio board. Now, pardon me if my instinct didn't tell me to check the After Hours Board for a post about Radio. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Sad news. I liked him and used to love listening to his shows and interviews.

This forum is more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Surely the Radio forum is the most appropriate place to put this? I certainly wouldn't have thought of after hours.

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cilamc

Pay no attention to the few tosspots on this board, Roxy.

John Peel was a legend, a gent and the greatest living Englishman. His passing is a terrible loss. Anyone who cares about rock, pop or any aspect of popular culture will feel sad about this.

Farewell, John.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I'll miss listening to John Peel - his knowledge and expanse of musical knowledge was a testiment to the number of years he spent in the business. It always amazed / intrigued me how he could be playing a blue grass song song from the 60's and then current drum and base the next.

He'll be sadly missed.

<edit>

Actually, to tell the truth this hasn't really hit me yet. I'll go home from work soon and switch on Radio 1 and no doubt there be tributes - hard to take in really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm saddened but not shocked really, John Peel had been in at times poor health in recent years including the onset of type 2 diabetes.

What can I say, a brilliant presenter as he not for a second tried to play the media game. He was the man you heard. If he did'nt like your music he did'nt play it. Hence U2 (a kind of band that some might imagine Peely could have "made") never appearing on his show. I loved his bearly conceeled contempt for Top of the Pops even as he presented it (part of his radio contract).

I bet he smiled knowlingly when Smashy and Nicely hit our screens know as many real-life versions as he did.

Peel branched out into more mainstream areas of media such as narrative voice overs for various Channel 4 series and a BBC Radio 4 series called Home Truths but he kept the radio show going even he was somewhat squeesed to the margins by sucessive Radio One controllers.

He was a huge Liverpool fan.

He kept the faith.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The absolute greatest DJ of all time...anywhere. Englands greatest living cultural treasure bar none .

I am so sad.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cilamc

mike65 wrote:
    I loved his bearly conceeled contempt for Top of the Pops even as he presented it (part of his radio contract).

Here's one of the things that ought not to be lost in the praise heaped on Peel for his indie credentials. His mickey-taking of TOTP was always done with fondness, and out of genuine affection. He was no curmudgeon. Peel loved pop music too, and even played people like Wham! on his show, not forgetting The Smiths, Blur, Pulp, T Rex. He wasn't some kind of dour musical snob. Who else would play 10 minute Neil Young album tracks and Half Man Half Biscuit and Bastard Kestrel but Peely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

R.I.P. Peel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Irreplacable. A champion for all good music.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I only really remember of him from the BBC's Glastonbury coverage…RIP…

Glastonbury tribute to John Peel

Glastonbury Festival's new bands tent will be renamed the John Peel Stage in tribute to the veteran BBC Radio 1 DJ, who died this week aged 65.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3957699.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Sad news indeed.
    If he did'nt like your music he did'nt play it. Hence U2 (a kind of band that some might imagine Peely could have "made") never appearing on his show.

This makes me like him even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Well done Roxy !!!

Advertisement