Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Peel is dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

One of the true radio greats....

When he first appeared on the UK airwaves in the mid sixties with the offshore pirate 'Radio London', his programme was a revolution, inspired from his spending time in Dallas listening to groundbreaking American music stations. He refused to conform to presenting the standard pop format of the time and 'The Perfumed Garden' was essential late night listening for anyone who considered themselves to be cool in the sixties.

He remained cool through all his life and his programmes were still unique and compulsive listening. He was a voice for real music in an industry hyped with manufactured boybands and encouraged by bland and un-imaginative radio stations.

He will be very sadly missed and radio will be very dull without him.

Ger Roe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Are you gonna do a special tribute show Ger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Very sad. A great character and a champion of music who will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

that was the last thing I expected to hear.

His life should be celebrated not mourned, but rest in peace John Peel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alternate DJ

what that man did for music alone is unsurmountable may the legand now live on and let his high standards be a guide line for the rest of us to work by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

A great loss. a man who should never be forgotten. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Such a sad loss. Heard really heartfelt tributes to him on Five Live this afternoon with everyone from David Jensen to the Undertones and everyone in between. A class act.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I think if Phantom get this licence the first record you play should be Teenage Kicks as a mark of respect, as if there was no John Peel there'd be no alternative radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shug

I have been listening to John Peel since I was eight, 33 now and since moving to ireland 3 years ago I still listened. There is now a gapeing hole in getting to hear new music. I mean phantom going off the air then comming back for weekend's then off again at least I always had the great Mr Peel over the internet. Now I've got bugger all.

You better get a license now guys. Or i have to put up with Radio Europe 2 in Grenoble over the internet which is populaur indie pop only with zero chance of hearing something exciting.

And I do listen to phantom online, but check the randomiser on the computer as you only appear to ahve about 24 hours worth of music.

A sad loss, I'm gutted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nutkase

Could not agree more back in the day when zits ruled my face growing up in London Peel introduced talent and let us know who it was, when moved over to Meath Mr. Fanning filled the void, here in Long Beach it would be Rodney the Rock on KROQ

As the garageland guru departs from airwaves at the same time the DJ seems to becoming obselete (I just discovered Phantom a couple of days ago) listen thru Windows Media Player and it would be great to know who it is who it was who just belted out that tune.

• Advertisement
Advertisement