Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing personal filestorage from a home pc

• 26-10-2004 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Does anyone know how I could go about accessing my filestorage folder from my home PC, if it is at all possible? It's rather irritating having to e-mail pieces of work to myself every time I want to work on them in college.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

the easiest and best way in my opinion is to get a netsoc account, only a euro, you can ssh into this from home.

this would also work with maths. you can map your college filestorage onto your maths account but im not really in the know about this type of thing.

but conclusion, imo, get a netsoc account and paste your stuff into that (its dead easy and really quick in college).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

you'r doing sci with maths arn't ye? then maths account is yer best bet, just ssh in from at home and use freddir to look at your filestorage in college.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 _carl_

i have a maths account. Could you explain how i can look at my filestorage from home...

this took my a huge amount of time to figure out. so not to be ambigious im just going to tell you exacty how i did it and you can go from there. skylynx should be able to tell you more.

firstly, download SSH Secure Shell application. (I'm sure there's a million alternative ones to this but im just telling you what i did).

if the filename you want is called assignment.doc this is what i do:

in the shell type "get assignment.doc"

then u should see some reaction like getting file .....assignment.doc of size 0 as .....(5.0 kb/s) (average 724.7 kb/s)

then type "lcd"

then "put assignment.doc"

now it's in ur maths a/c and you can use the gui to copy and paste it to your harddrive.

hope this works.

and please people feel free to adjust what i've said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

SkyLynx wrote:
    you'r doing sci with maths arn't ye? then maths account is yer best bet, just ssh in from at home and use freddir to look at your filestorage in college.....

How would an engineer go about getting on of those maths accounts.

• Advertisement

Ask Ian nicely, or just go up to the Departmental Secretary to ask.

Some of us are gifted with such an account anyways :) - tis handy to hold all life's little foebles. I'm up to 945 megs on my a/c, and I'm still not winning on hogs...

Whose Ian? and how do I get in contact with him.

Boston wrote:
    Whose Ian? and how do I get in contact with him.
    that'd be me.

i'll not be edited

SkyLynx wrote:
    that'd be me.

Can I have a maths account, pretty please with sugar on top. I think we're(engineers) ment to be able to get them anyway, just don't know how.

• Advertisement

as engineers yer not ment to be able to get them, donal only as one cause he started college as a theoretical physist, and then became a dropout............

If ye come up with a half decent reason ye can email it to ops@maths and we'll look into it.

What does a maths account get you. engineers used to be able to get them afaik. Depending on what stream you go down in third and forth year we can get a pass maths degree or diploma or something along those lines.

you's still get a pass maths degree afaik, but that has nothing to do with the maths system. And i dunno ask jimmy or donal what it gets ye...

it gets u a life long membership to the coolest but most elitest club in trinity, the knights of the unix computers.

with a maths a/c, girls will want to sleep with you, guys will want to be your friend and staff will try and pass you in your exams.

actually, they dont offer anything more than half a gib of user space and access to it from around the globe. just get the same thing with netsoc so dont loose sleep over it.

actually another handy thing is been able to log in to the 20 or so maths comps to check ur mail etc. when at busy times it feels everyone in college is fighting to get a pc.

Hmm, but I've access to the LG labs, which are linux machines and the like.

LG labs are local mandrake installations last time i checked.

Maths system labs are all remote xterminals, run nothing locally. Ummmm i dunno if ye haven't used it you probally wouldn't see the advantages of it.

And for kev :
    Maths system has several more servers, much better stability than netsoc, and a lot of other crap you probally wouldn't care about.......

Boston wrote:
    Hmm, but I've access to the LG labs, which are linux machines and the like.

You have access to the ICT huts (both floors), LG37 & LG12. LG 12 is 24 hour, so none too shabby. LG37 is around the back, on the way to the Dart station, never actually been in there. There was a big hub-bub last year cos we didn't have access to all those when we should have, which got sorted finally...

Lg12 is half linux, half windows. Tis strange, they usually take more time to log onto then the comps down in east end, but I still like em.

Engineers (as well as a lot of others) get a BA in Maths after 3rd year. It kinda explains why we don't do maths in 4th year. The BAI is the important one though....SF's get a small CS account, with access to the above rooms. Streams C/CD/D get full CS accounts.

I've always preferred having a maths a/c to netsoc, esp when it comes to msn and the likes. Can't play solitaire in college yet though...

Maths system has several more servers, much better stability than netsoc, and a lot of other crap you probally wouldn't care about....

got it in one.

only kidding. now this is a complete analogue of the ipod/iriver thing, you're trying to show the benefits of X to a small bunch of people while im trying to show the benefits of y to X*x*X*X amount of ppl.

just to clarify,

if u want something to store a lot of files, have accesss to them from both college and home there is no difference between netsoc and maths.

maths has a pop mail server, has lots of cool unix applications, has lots of hot chicks, well 2/3 aint bad.

but again, i dont know the details here so ill shut up.

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    You have access to the ICT huts (both floors), LG37 & LG12. LG 12 is 24 hour, so none too shabby. LG37 is around the back, on the way to the Dart station, never actually been in there. There was a big hub-bub last year cos we didn't have access to all those when we should have, which got sorted finally...

Lg12 is half linux, half windows. Tis strange, they usually take more time to log onto then the comps down in east end, but I still like em.

Engineers (as well as a lot of others) get a BA in Maths after 3rd year. It kinda explains why we don't do maths in 4th year. The BAI is the important one though....SF's get a small CS account, with access to the above rooms. Streams C/CD/D get full CS accounts.

I've always preferred having a maths a/c to netsoc, esp when it comes to msn and the likes. Can't play solitaire in college yet though...

What the different between full and part CS accounts.

They've full access to all the CS rooms. We've only access to those 4 rooms.

That and I think theres something different with the email/website setup...not sure on that one.

• Advertisement

just to clarify,

if u want something to store a lot of files, have accesss to them from both college and home there is no difference between netsoc and maths.
    Well this year netsoc cut back again on quota's for accounts so its becomming increasingly small............
    maths has a pop mail server, has lots of cool unix applications,
    pop/imap/webmail , and btw what apps u find that are 'cool' under unix?

has lots of hot chicks, well 2/3 aint bad.
    we can dream

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Can't play solitaire in college yet though...
    Yeah i'd better get working on that....need to satisify my solitare addiction in college.....

the thing for converting latex docs into pdf for one
    they have a messenger dont they?
    netsoc's o2sms is very handy thou, personal fav.

the thing for converting latex docs into pdf for one
    they have a messenger dont they?
    netsoc's o2sms is very handy thou, personal fav.

yep n yep to the first 2, and yeah only staff have access to that on the maths system at the moment, some incompatabilites with mackers script + squid + o2site... tho the vodasms one works fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i heart the cs labs. and for the record the mandrake machines log on faster to the network than anything else readily accessible, its great. and they're just generally nice to use. someoen was saying LG37 got a load of lego mindstorm kits - is this just a cruel rumour or what? there were transitions in there this week...damn them. anyhoo...

whats a trans5t56n6

Advertisement