Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Immobiliser?

Options
  • 26-10-2004 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi ,
    I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me....
    My car was stolen about a week ago, and I got it back, but it needed a new ignition switch.
    I put it into a garage and collected it last nite, after business hours - for this reason I didn't get to speak to the mechanic who worked on it.
    Anyway, there used to be a small hole in the dashboard on the right hand side of the steering wheel. This now has a red LED inserted which is constantly on, whether the engine is running or not.

I'm just wondering what it is - some people I've asked reckon it is an immobiliser which came with the new ignition switch. Others disagree saying if it was an immobiliser, I should have gotten some kind of a key with it, which I didn't. I only got a new ignition key.
    I have been trying to get through to the garage today without success - i will probably get them later, but for now, this is wrecking my head.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

sounds like the immobiliser LED alright, you normally dont need a second key for the immobiliser either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

well ,make and model of the car would be handy. Depending on the car your ignition key may have small electronic device which is able to disactivate the immobilizer.

If this is the case you shouldn't be able to start the car with normal plain copy of the same key(well if you have it , u can just try it

immobilizer could be:

build in into your alarm, and doesn't require key

factory fitted which doesnt require additional key as ignition key is preprogrammed

after market , which will require separate deactivation device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭LilyMon

Hi, thanks for the replies

I didn't include the make and model because that would have been intelligent....

-It's a 94 Mitsubishi Colt.

Is it normal though, that this LED is constantly on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

As the car is only a 94 reg., it does not have an immobiliser built into the ignition key (that's why it got stolen in the first place).

If the LED light wasn't there before you had it in the garage, it might be because he used second hand parts, from a scrap yard, and it came with it, or he put it there the let thiefs know that the car has an alarm, even so there is none fitted.
    The LED is connected to the permanent power supply, that's why is on at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

so you have a dummy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Gmodified wrote:
    so you have a dummy

Yeah, that will be a shorter way of saying.

They do the job sometimes. Also a chain will be a good ideea as those cars are very easy to steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭LilyMon

Thanks for the help guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Anyway, there used to be a small hole in the dashboard on the right hand side of the steering wheel. This now has a red LED inserted which is constantly on, whether the engine is running or not.

Seems like the led was there previously and had been pushed or had fallen behind the dash. The good mechanic returned it to its rightfull place, imo. :cool: Ring the garage and solve this mystery. Are there any alarm stickers on the windows or and alarm under the bonnet somewhere. You may have bought the car without the key fob. :rolleyes:

Advertisement