Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low level format question

• 26-10-2004 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I have a Hitachi(ibm) drive in my laptop and was going to do a low level format but when I go to their site the only software they have has to be put onto an A:\ drive which my box does not have. Does anyone know of or use a generic software that will allow you to stick it onto a cd?.
    Am I correct in saying when you do a low level format the piece of software writes all 0's to the drive and if so how does security software work ( the progs you can buy so that no one can read your hard drive)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Hullo,

Whatever software you are going to use can be put onto a cd and made bootable no problem. If you are using Nero Burning rom, then that will take care of it. Make a new compilation, select boot tab and choose floppy emulation.

Whatever software you get, make sure that it can make multiple passes at writing, especially if you are concerned about the data being possibly recovered. There's lots of free software so don't go paying for anything either. Do a google for Boot and Nuke, this is very popular when it comes to erasing data. It can use many built in algorithims including the US Military Department of Defense (DOD) with 7 passes. Just make sure you have lots of time when you run it, it will take hours.

Cheers
    Howard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks Lads will give it a go

Advertisement