Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP SP2 and online gaming PING problems

• 26-10-2004 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I applied WinXP SP2 and ever since my gaming ping seems to have slipped from an 50-80 to major lag 120-200.

I have switched off the fire wall, stopped the virus scanner, gone to the task manger and killed all non relevant processes but it still sucks.

Does anyone know how to tweak it back to pre SP2? :confused:

Tnx in advance,

The Duke : ))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

methinks head into system restore and rollback to before you installed sp2 (burn the newer stuff you installed/saved after this onto a disk) otherwise you can google a list of what components make up sp2 here and remove them manually (although I'm not sure how well this will work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Adama

I had the same problem. HALO slowed to a snails pace. I just reinstalled the game, turned off firewall etc, and it was back on working ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

Read about a similar iss before on neowin.net...

SP2 limits the number of simultanious incomplete outbound connections that can be made per second;

Detailed description

The TCP/IP stack now limits the number of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts. After the limit has been reached, subsequent connection attempts are put in a queue and will be resolved at a fixed rate. Under normal operation, when applications are connecting to available hosts at valid IP addresses, no connection rate-limiting will occur. When it does occur, a new event, with ID 4226, appears in the system’s event log.
    ---

If you do not see the event in your event log - then you are not effected by this.

Apparently there is a fix here: http://www.lvllord.de/ - Haven't had this problem, so haven't tried the fix....

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

thanks for the info - I'll check that out and see what the story is...

may you deserve your name ... :D

Advertisement