Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Legend Passes Away

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

RIP John Peel

- a true pioneer of all types of good music -

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Indeed, very sad news, gutted to hear it. icon9.gif

BTW I will leave it here as there's threads in most suitable places about it & he did some TV stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

.....certainly relevant to Irish people. He's been a hugely influential figure for music lovers....and performers...and will be sadly missed. A really nice man too.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

I'm going to miss him. Part of my life since 1967, I remember having illicit transistor radios confiscated late at night by patrolling the dormitories at boarding school, and I'd be caught listening to John Peel late at night on Radio 1.He informed so much of my listening, and had a weekly page in Disc and Music Echo, Record Mirror or the NME. I can't list all the music I first heard-and often hated at first-that I bought or loved. It may have been Fairport Conventions first incarnation, or Tyrannosauros (sp?)Rex,later T.Rex.
    Saw him do a John Peel Roadshow at Imperial College, London, and he neer said a word, or paid much attention to pleas from parts of the audience for requests.It was the early 70s, and a surreal experience.He relentlessly played some of the most cacophonous, non-melodic stuff . When he got rid of the last of those demanding Barry White, suddenly there was a change and with a mix of RnB, soul, 50s Rock and Roll. in no time, we were treated to the amazing spectacle of Hippies (officially regarded as really so uncool man by us Hippie types) jiving and having a great time.
    And he championed Viv Stanshall and Rawlinson End.
    It really is the day the music died

Advertisement