Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ICTU Declare Class War!

Options
  • 26-10-2004 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

From rte.ie
    ...Congress is also proposing a €5000 levy on sports utility vehicles over 2.4 litres for environmental purposes - and described such a move as a tax on vanity.

I would have no problem with this if it ever happened so long as the vehicle was NOT owned by someone who lives/works on the land.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I tend to agree with you mike. Commercials should be exempt.

Also I would point out that 2.5D/TD is a very common engine size in 4x4's - and not necessarily all yuppie mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

On the (other) plus side, they also wantto remove the West-link tolling station - because on the cost to the economy of all the drivers who are delayed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

5k isnt really going to put anyone off buying an X5, there already 90k+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Well, to me, it's just another cost to add to the motorist. Whether you agree or disagree with these huge jeeps or whatever on the roads, is largely irrelevant -when compared to how ALL us motorists seem to be the easisest target for a list of charges.

/me strikes X5 off wish list ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Populist BS, to make the politician look good :rolleyes:

Real solution: increase duty on fuel substantially...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

mike65 wrote:
    I would have no problem with this if it ever happened so long as the vehicle was NOT owned by someone who lives/works on the land.
    I tend to agree with you mike. Commercials should be exempt.

While I'm not a fan of 4x4's being used for the school run in towns this move is a bit excessive. There are many valid reasons for having a non commercial 4x4. Anyone involved in an activity where they have to pull heavy loads or cross rough terrain with any regularity would have to consider a (non-commercial) 4x4 as their main vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Anybody who can afford to own and run one of these can probably afford the 5k tax. The existing tax rates are more than double the rate on a small to medium family car and insurance likewise.

It won't happen though. It would be seen as an attack on the middle class and rural dwellers, who the government won't like to upset.

There's a fair logic though, in the tax, as SUVs are much heavier pollutants and can do more damage in accidents.

I think I'd be a bit more pragmatic and simply outlaw bullbars on SUVs and hike up the road tax a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Of far more sense- but never ever likely to be implemented- is changing the annual vehicle tax regime- so that you are taxed:

1) according to your road usage and
    2) your engine size
    3) vehicle designation (private or commercial).

This would be far more equitable, and I don't think anyone could justifiably complain about it. While we were at it, another possibility-

Abolish the annual vehicle tax altogether, and put extra duty on fuel instead (the larger gas guzzlers are obviously going to get more hit than the lower engine sizes). I know that isn't exactly a populist move- but do you know we have the third lowest fuel prices in the EU15 at present.

S.

Advertisement