Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time tonight

Options
  • 26-10-2004 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

There's a segment on Prime Time on RTE 1 tonight. The specific segment will be on in about 10-15 minutes. Go watch.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

Thans for that.Watching another so -called 'Profession' being filleted for exploiting the agonies of adolescence, (and their parents). Even more extraordinary a PD doing the filleting.
    Here it comes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

i'm recording it now, if anybody wants, I'll upload it to some webspace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saw the interview with the minsiter, not much to say except to note the tone of regret that we are where we are.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

The initial report was good, great interview with Martin Harran :)

A little bit worried that the minister doesn't seem to understand the MANs will not introduce competition at the last mile. But he kept saying over and over that it would.

Fantastic to see it getting such attention though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

mike65 wrote:
    Saw the interview with the minsiter, not much to say except to note the tone of regret that we are where we are.
    He mentioned that there are 45 companies providing broadband. I wouldn't have thought there wer that many - maybe he means telcos in general, but how many are just repackaging Eircom DSL as opposed to putting pressure on Eircom?

He was adament that he wouldn't get invoved with the regulator (at least publically) and he also felt that the MANs would be a force for competition.

Great work by Martin and the committee in general. I'm sure they were very busy providing information to the researchers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

prime time and a minister says this with a straight face, it seems were in far more trouble then we think

interviewer

minister has comreg got enough power (not verbatim )

Noel dempsey

Well the argument from industry is that Comreg has to much power

:rolleyes:

I despair i truly do

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

SkepticOne wrote:
    He mentioned that there are 45 companies providing broadband. I wouldn't have thought there wer that many - maybe he means telcos in general, but how many are just repackaging Eircom DSL as opposed to putting pressure on Eircom?

He was adament that he wouldn't get invoved with the regulator (at least publically) and he also felt that the MANs would be a force for competition.

Great work by Martin and the committee in general. I'm sure they were very busy providing information to the researchers.
    Yup, most are repackaged, the vast majority probably. This isn't competition, it's being dictated to by the monopoly.

Essentially, he didn't seem to know what he was talking about.

When Mcredmond came on though I felt like hitting the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

shinzon wrote:
    Noel dempsey

:rolleyes:

I despair i truly do

Shin
    To be fair, he did say that this was not an argument he would agree with.

shinzon wrote:
    prime time and a minister says this with a straight face, it seems were in far more trouble then we think

interviewer

minister has comreg got enough power (not verbatim )

Noel dempsey

he also went on to say that, that wasn't his personal view. Of course it is the view of the industry (aka eircom).

Maybe he was just being honest but the lack of "Oumph" in his words was a bit worrying. I'm not expecting him to crack the whip vis-a-vis Comreg.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Maybe he was just being honest but the lack of "Oumph" in his words was a bit worrying. I'm not expecting him to crack the whip vis-a-vis Comreg.

Mike.

Aye - it came across he was completely happy to let the MANs in the future to provide the competition in the future which they won't. (not at the last mile level)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

For those that missed it, here's the 9 minutes I was able to get of it ....

http://homepage.eircom.net/~anderson2002/video/PrimeTime.wmv

(2.17 MB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Dempsey is useless , he was moved out of education after pissing everyone off in there.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

ando wrote:
    i'm recording it now, if anybody wants, I'll upload it to some webspace

Thanks. To have it somewhere, where people can be pointed to is invaluable.

Dempsey's misunderstanding of the MANs as competition to the last mile network is serious.
    All the old reliable fake arguments raise their heads again: the missing cable competition argument, and worst of all: everything is getting ok now, because we've a bb growth in the mad hundreds etc.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,429 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sums it up TBH.
    Interviewer: Minister has the Garda got enough power?

Michael McDowell: Well the argument from bank robbers is that the Garda has to much power.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

For the lucky few with broadband...

http://60hud.com/videos/primetime.wmv

(450k/s windows media)

Good rip! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Anyone willing to make a .torrent out of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

The Minister pretty much said that selling off Eircom was a mistake. Not in so many words but the message was there. He also said that ComReg did not have too much power.

He floundered and I think this might be reason enough for him to fire up his Dept to make stuff happen.

This was a very well researched pieve from Prime Time. Again I urge everyone to email the show and tell them the pieve they did was good.

A very very special thanks to our own Martin Harran who drove down to Dublin from Donegal to film this a few weeks back. He gave up a day of his life to do this piece and everyone here should thank him for it as what he said will be listened to by many a person in the DCMNR and ComReg. He's right, seeing Ireland at the bottom of a league table in this modern age is disgusting.

Sorry we didn't say anything in advance but certain companies listen in here daily and we wanted to keep our advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,429 ✭✭✭✭Victor

damien.m wrote:
    Anyone willing to make a .torrent out of it ?
    Wow, must be the first warezing of RTÉ content ev4r! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

On the local loop unbundling vs MAN, what Dempsey is saying is that local loop unbundling is designed to provide broadband competition and the MAN is an alternative that will bring about broadband competition (through wireless broadband presumably), hence it's an alternative to local loop unbundling brought to you by a caring government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Only caught the last part of it. It was enough to drive me to the very edge of total despair :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

The win here (and previously on Radio one immediately after his appointment) is that Dempsey is being put on the spot over internet connectivity. Not fish, not gas, not An Post, not Sellafield but on telecoms issues. This issue is being put high on his priority list whether he wants it or not.

The more the media flush out what he does and does not know and what he does and does not believe, the easier it is to target the lobbying.

Are IOFFL meeting him formally soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Excellent interview Martin! Primetime had all the arguments covered thanks to your input.

Gareth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Mind you I wouldn't mind if some pressure was put on An Post as well, because they're completely diabolical. I recently had to send some forms down the country to get them signed and then post them to somebody in Dublin. It took three days each way down the country and four days within Dublin. And unlike the price of broadband, it's a "service" that's getting more expensive every year.

Yet another ComReg success story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I just watched some of the clip. Couldnt help laughing at eircoms comment, that they are offering broadband more and more homes - true but at what price?????

They do have a wide enough coverage, but at twice the price of other BB suppliers ie IBB and ntl etc (if you count the cost of phoneline rental aswell).

And they are crap to deal with and a tiny downlaod cap :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

lol,

Eircom guy : "70% of areas are broadband capable, and in those areas 8 out of 10 people can get broadband. This is a significant improvement from where we were 2 years ago"

Pat us on the back, hell it was **** 2 years ago, its still **** now, but we are improving. Nevermind that 2 years ago we should have been further than we are now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Eircom guy : "70% of areas are broadband capable, and in those areas 8 out of 10 people can get broadband. This is a significant improvement from where we were 2 years ago"
    I can't believe people are still letting that dipsh1t parrot statistics like this. Are the Irish media entirely retarded?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

dahamsta wrote:
    I can't believe people are still letting that dipsh1t parrot statistics like this. Are the Irish media entirely retarded?

adam
    Its like we now live in the iron age instaed of the stoneage, but its still "progress", hahahahha. We are way behind because large companies have the monopoly in ireland, esb, eircom etc, bring in the competition is wat i say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Originally Posted by Jimeatsmenu

reminded me of a Homer Simpson quote when he said that !!
    "Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that."

80% of 70% is 56% ?????? why didn't he say only half of their customers could get broadband ?????

Advertisement