Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity News/The Record

• 26-10-2004 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

How difficult is it to become a writer for either of the newspapers? Basically, my English is getting FIERCE rusty, it's been 5 months since the LC ffs. Now, English being my best subject at school, this is rather worrying. So I could use an outlet to practise it, and a newspaper sounds ideal...

And in case TN/the Record is unfeasible, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

For the record, drop Ruth an email. Its deputypres at tcdsu dot org

For TN, check here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

In the past the the Record used to be desperate for writers, while TN tended to have a surplus. They're both pretty healthy now afaik, but I know that I was always happy to talk to interested writers when I edited the Record. Best bet is to take Ace's advice, and contact the editors. You can just say you're interested and see what they say, or alternatively have a think first and come up with a story idea and see if they'd like to print it. If its a good idea, you're more likely to get into print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

What did everyone think of the Record that came out today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Thought it was a big improvement on the first one, it's much more pleasreable to read :). Off the Record was pretty good too. Still some layout issues that could be fixed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 film ed tfm

yes....was most impressed with the off the record bit.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

The Problem I have with the Record is it's ignorance of its potential. Look at the UCD Observer. It is an Independent Newspaper and an SU Newspaper at the same time. The Record is just a lame publicity rag. It refuses to carry out any real reporting/investigating. It is simple printing the Unoin line and stating the obvious. Many frustrated writers simply leave the record when their articles have been edited to the point of destruction. The job of an editor is not to edit articles to suit them. But to edit them to the point of improvement(or in student journalism cases - minimalising them). I believe that if the Record was freed somewhat from the shakles of the SU it could become a real voice. Perhaps have the SU Publicity Committee actting as a board with the Dep Pres as its Chairperson. The Publicity Committee could then choose who is the Records Editor. This is a professional and proven system used by any realistic publication - including the UCD Observer.
    To be honest the Record has not improved in realistic terms at all in the last 3 years. On the other Hand its immediate competition has gone through several faces lifts and is more identifible as a Trinity news paper.

If the Record wants to be taken seriously it needs to first respect its current resources - Its Writers. Then perhaps its editorial independence can become a reality also. If the Union wants a propaganda machine employ Rory Hearne. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The Record's independence is guaranteed by a schedule in the SU consititution. This policy was introduced after the difficulties of the 2001\2002 SU term. However it is still down to the Editor as to how far they wish to exercise this freedom. As something of a balance to the editor's role and to ensure continuity the outgoing editor and the incoming editor are supposed to agree on the assistant ed so that there can be some link from year to year and to ensure some editorial identity. I don't think the publicity committee should be part of this as they are usually class reps and not necessarily best disposed towards making editorial\journalistic decisions.

My opinion's always been that the Record is the Union's paper, and that the Union are the members not the officers, and as such the paper has a dual role in acting as a foundation for campaigns while at the same time keeping the SU accountable.

As for the new Record, it's certainly an improvement on the first edition. I would still worry about the length of the articles and a punchier mast head might be in order, especially since TN have a stylish new one this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Man that big ass article in the new Trinity News: "Bush got re-elected... So what?"

Scared the crap outta me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Cecilia

The University Observer in UCD while being a union funded newspaper, is editorially independent. This causes much unwanted friction between the union and the newspaper, as the newspaper may report on things the union does not support or agree with. The uni observer feel they have the right to report on these type of things, as they are of legitimate public concern. The union sometimes feel the observer don't have the right report on these things as the things may be perceived as "anti-left" or "anti-union", and as the union pays for the production of the observer, the observer should be supporting union policy. Trinity has a much better set-up. The University Record keeps the union happy, by reporting on union-based activities, while Trinity News is free to report on anything it wants.

What a bloody load of hoop this UR was! The front page story was written so badly it made me cringe. The off the record section was boring and stupid. And to top it off Roisin Matthews article outlining UCD's history on their 150th actually had me seething. Rather than jokingly slagging off UCD (as may have been the intention), it was as if written by a die-hard royalist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

Pet wrote:
    Basically, my English is getting FIERCE rusty, it's been 5 months since the LC ffs.
    I know exactly what you mean lol, I was just thinking the same thing about myself the other day. think I'm actually forgetting how to spell stuff.... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Thought it was the Record's strongest edition yet tbh

Not a chance stargal, last one was better by far. At least it had a few glimpses of entertainment..
    The only semi decent-article in this one was the one about An Taoiseach in the Phil with Luke Ryder and "Mr." Cosgrave battling it out. An obviously biased tone to it, yet still semi-interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i thought the article about ties by Luke Reynolds was very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

I know exactly what you mean lol, I was just thinking the same thing about myself the other day. think I'm actually forgetting how to spell stuff....
    yeah well wait till this time next year..my vocabulary is totally nonexistant at this stage! all i can ever remember are damn science words..

as far as the record is concerned, i shall read it tomorrow! i didnt even notice it was out tbh...the weather was so sh*te today that i went around everywhere with my massive winter jacket on- i could hardly see where i was going with the furry hood thing, so was very unlikely that i would notice the newspapers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

yeah well wait till this time next year..
    wait till this time next year..........

oh great(!) thats wat ive got too look forward to so?

canvas is it really hard to remember sciencey(not a word i know but whatever) words? im havin a tough job remember medical terms already lol, theyre all so damn hard to pronounce!

soon u will know how to say the medical ones chick, but nothing else.......

canvas is it really hard to remember sciencey(not a word i know but whatever) words? im havin a tough job remember medical terms already lol, theyre all so damn hard to pronounce!
    it aint so bad, id say it would be way harder to remember weird biology words that i see some of my friends learning :D ! i guess im pretty used to greek symbols and stuff for physics etc by now so doesnt really bother me! medical terms imo look waaayyy yuckier!!!

it aint so bad, id say it would be way harder to remember weird biology words that i see some of my friends learning :D ! i guess im pretty used to greek symbols and stuff for physics etc by now so doesnt really bother me! medical terms imo look waaayyy yuckier!!!
    Those medical terms just look cool, big **** off words like. Ye can really notice a profession trying to make emselves look smart with huge words imo ;)

• Advertisement

Those medical terms just look cool, big **** off words like. Ye can really notice a profession trying to make emselves look smart with huge words imo
    lol true didnt think of it like that...i suppose its really the fault of whoever made the word up in the first place though :)

yeah it makes you look smarter :D.... hey maybe i should get a pair of glasses too...

Chick wrote:
    yeah it makes you look smarter :D.... hey maybe i should get a pair of glasses too...
    Walking around with glasses on and a big book always does give that impression, and if u can take a leaf out of some of the maths/phy lecturers and just let your hair grow all random that works too..

ew no!!

Chick wrote:
    ew no!!
    hehe, no one ever said it was pretty, but it does look intelligent ;)

Hrmmm Eric Prydz - Call On Me video, yer one in the pink top...nyommm......

Anyway what was i saying again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

it aint so bad, id say it would be way harder to remember weird biology words that i see some of my friends learning ! i guess im pretty used to greek symbols and stuff for physics etc by now so doesnt really bother me! medical terms imo look waaayyy yuckier!!!

Ew no, Physics symbols are so much worse. :D A load of random squiggles that are all confusing and stuff...although I can't exactly say that serine proteases rock my socks..
    and if u can take a leaf out of some of the maths/phy lecturers and just let your hair grow all random that works too..

Oh man, I am SO ahead of anyone else in that department. Robert Smith would envy my hair. And also, "check" to the glasses (at home) and books.

Now if I can sort out that clumsiness, maybe I too will look smart someday. :D

think id rather and nice hair and look normal lol

but then u have to do stuff at work......

so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Chick wrote:
    so?
    Where's the fun in doing stuff at work? Laziness is where it's at.

Advertisement