Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The quiet before the storm...

• 26-10-2004 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been outside? :eek:

It's so creepy. No dogs barking. No wind(yet). No people(no little FUK*ERS with bangers scaring my dog). No cars. Just dead quiet.

Supposedly there's a big storm heading our way? Woot. I love storms, but damn, it's just so quiet outside, can't stand it.

So what's the best thing to do on a stormy boggy week? Besides masturbating and playing ut2k4? Because this one's supposed to last awhile.

Hooray?

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

You're right it is eerily dry outside.... maybe the sky's used up all it's rain in the last few days and now there's none left.

The government are probably gonna hit us with a hose pipe ban tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Ooooh, there's nothing like a good storm. I love 'em. Bring it on!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Provided my DSL doesn't go out, bring it on. Oh and also provided my house isn't horribly crushed under a huge tree or flying truck, you know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

The sound of the World taking a deep breath in...

flogen

flogen wrote:
    That'd explain my dog getting sucked into the lawn...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

love storms! unfortunatly i dont love walking to college in them!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

As long as you have adsl + many muiltplayer games the world can do what ever the hell it wants out side :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Was out earlier and was very surprised at how calm and mild it was. Dunno aboutthe kids being quiet though - I think the little feckers round are using rocket launchers instead of bangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

[Ralph Wiggum Voice] I think I wet my bed! [/Ralph Wiggum Voice]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Any of ya's remember the really strong storm at Xmas about 5-6 years back?

N and E had gusts of 90+
    Blew a load of roofs off that night, and load of power outs around Donegal and NI.

Electrical storms I like, but winter Atlantic storms I can live without...

Also floodwatch on tonight/tomorrow cause highest tide of autumn is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, I remember that one. Got stuck in a pub in town on Christmas Eve and had major trouble getting home. At least we had beer though...

Wertz wrote:
    Also floodwatch on tonight/tomorrow cause highest tide of autumn is happening.

Remember when drumcondra got flooded... that was pretty cool (not for the people in the flooded houses or the businesses around though)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I live *right* beside the sodding barrow river..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

The worst of it is going to be on Wednesday night. It looks like it's going to be pretty wild!

Here's the chart for midnight on Wed/Thurs.

Damn ill be walking home very late on Wednesday night... stoopid work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

The worst of it is going to be on Wednesday night. It looks like it's going to be pretty wild!

so the big X and the lines around it are bad im guessing...holy crap guys I think there's going to be a storm, a Perfect Storm!Oh, no wait not quite, just a storm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

That is odd... it is rather quiet outside. I just poked my head out the window and all the scumbags must have got dragged in by their mammies incase they catch a cold. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I was outside earlier tonight, and yeah... it's very calm and very mild... feels more like april/may than october.
    Spooky weather.
    And I'm no weather-man, but that chart doesn't look pretty! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

flogen wrote:

flogen

Yeah, I can just imagine the wind, rain, noise all being sucked backwards, about to be rushed foreward again under force...

Like the wash on the shore being sucked back into the ocean before the wave hits...

STORMS OWN. :cool:

Better be over by thursday though...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mang87 wrote:
    Supposedly there's a big storm heading our way?
    What did he just say?
    He said there's a storm coming.
    Yeah, I know.

*plays dodgy synthesizer whilst driving into the desert in a jeep*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

OMG!!! its the night of the big wind all over again.

actually remember the 97 storm trying to walk up clancy strand being blown within inches of the river shannon. bit of a stupid thing to do really but it was necessary at the time.

if you want a rough idea of how bad its going to be check out the little number i think its 968 on that chart near the centre of it, the lower that number the worse the wind will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I heard on the radio that it is the southeast, that is going to really get hit. If that is correct then up here in Donegal, will we miss the worst, anyone know ?.. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

great!! so I'll be out in fancy dress.. wearing dodgy costume with make up running down my face! sounds scary.. hmmm ;)

Cork_girl wrote:
    great!! so I'll be out in fancy dress.. wearing dodgy costume with make up running down my face! sounds scary.. hmmm ;)

Yeah im going to a fancy dress/gig on thursday :(
    Supposedly gonna be pretty crappy on thursday aswell... feck the costume im supposed to be wearing, im gonna wrap up instead.

Cork_girl wrote:

can i come to the pub with ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Must be a pain in the hole for those cartographers that have to make up the charts. All those extra lines they have to draw every time a storm comes in.

can i come to the pub with ya
    only if you're willing to go in fancy dress ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

..Does anyone else cower under their blankets when big storms hit?
    I always have the feeling like Im going to open my window and the winds will pull me out and land me in northern laois..

Tellox wrote:
    ..Does anyone else cower under their blankets when big storms hit?
    I always have the feeling like Im going to open my window and the winds will pull me out and land me in northern laois..
    tee he he :D yeah I hate storms too!! well only the thunder and lightning bit.. really freaks me out.. there was a really bad one this summer in Cork city.. I felt like a child again :o

• Advertisement

I love being in bed listening to the storms outside

oh and cork girl, i dont have the legs for a fancy dress :p

oh I'm sure you could manage something ;) maybe bring your bed covers! :p

now that is tempting, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm f*cked. I have to go into Dublin (from Leixlip), and out to Clonskeagh, for an interview. Hopefully I won't be late, due to nature.
    Thats two bus journey's, to get to the place. And two back.

/me shakes fist @ the heavens.

"Whyyyyyyy?????"

oohh you're chances are lookin bit slim there ;) bring ur brolly!!! good luck in the interview :D

aye good luck in the interview
    oohh you're chances are lookin bit slim there

should I leave the bedclothes at home so :D

• Advertisement

should I leave the bedclothes at home so :D
    ah no bring em! u can be the sleepy head ;)

how come your up so late anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm going to be out aswell. Its only going to be a bit of wind and rain. We never get any serious weather here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'm going to be out aswell. Its only going to be a bit of wind and rain. We never get any serious weather here.

Hope you touched wood.... ;)

//RicardoSmith arrives home to find tree on his house....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

I like storms when I'm tucked up in bed and listening to the rain pelting off the window. Don't mind the thunder but the lightening freaks me a bit.

Just wondering do anyone else get an extreme headache when thunder is on the way. I always do - have one now. Never suffer with headaches exept for hangovers or if thunder is on the way.

Another thing I was thinking of is umbrellas and how crap they are if its windy and also why aren't umbrellas see-through as when the wind is coming against you, you have to hold them down so they won't go inside out and therefore you can't really see where you're going :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

RuggieBear wrote:
    Hope you touched wood.... ;)

//RicardoSmith arrives home to find tree on his house....

:D

This isn't hurricane alley.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Yeah storms are great if you're in the house in front of the fire. I like em. :D

I hate when the rains starts coming down the chimney and like.. hissing in the fire. It's a bit offputting, now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

nothings happened yet except i noticed the liffey to be high when crossing the bridge beside the Ifsc :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I remember hurricane Charlie back in 86 (back when harvesting were done by hand etc)

I was waiting for a bus in Crumlin wondering why the rain was falling horizontally.

A couple of people in cars stopped to offer me a lift but keeping in mind what my Mammy had told me about accepting lifts from strangers I declined. On the bus home I noticed much of Rathfarnham around Nutgrove SC was turning into lakes and rivers.

Only found out I had been out in a hurricane later that evening when I got home and watched the news. Forecasts weren't as accurate back in them days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

yeah i remember the storm of 97 , i was driving home from quin to limerick city, decided to take a back road to newmarket on fergus, thought i would save some time, when BANG a large chunk of tree fell on my car, no injuries thank god but the car was pretty banged up,

Not much yet here, just a bit or rain and a mild wind. Although it's big fat rain, which is the type which I hate the most. :mad:

Im supposed to be going out today cutting down a center poll for the bonfire.... NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I working in Dublin city centre.... nothing much happening here... a bit of rain but thats all. I just hope i dont get caught up in a mega traffic jam on the way home this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

think there is going to be a massif crop of shrooms after the storm. They really like this weather... hmmm so someone just told me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 flygirl

it's mental out there!
    just drove through tallaght & citywest and the wind and rain are unbelievable, the car was shaking and it was pretty hard to see out. Got drenched within a split second of getting out of the car and running into the office....

stay inside everyone :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement