Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Drink Driving Ad's

• 12-07-2001 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Just wonder what peoples views are on these new ad's the government have made, im taking about the drink driving, slow down and seat belt ad's.

They are very graphic and well done but do think what they are doing is right? i mean trying to scare people into slowing down ect.

Your view's..

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Being brutally frank, the ad with the football player/ squashed kid interface makes me laugh every time. Misanthropic as I can be, its just very, very stupid to try and educate us about the perils of driving drunk/too fast when the accident depicted is in no way realistic.

To make a car rool with that ferocity, you'd want to be doing about 70mph. Coupled to that, we only see our footballing hero consume one pint, which in all probability puts him inside the national limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I did like the fact that apart from the "everyone in the car should wear their seatbelt" message, that ad had the added message that you no matter how much you trust the driver of the car, there are always other vehicles on the road who are quite capable of causing an accident.

In my opinion the last two/four years has shown a great improvement in the attitudes of drivers, yet I'm wary that an over emphasis on these issues will yet again lead to people ignoring it (i.e. warnings on cigarettes).

They are of course rotating the ads and their target hazards/warnings to counter this, but I do believe their frequency should be toned down just a bit, with a greater number shown during seasonal times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well one thing I'll say for the latest add - it's very well done.
    The one where some guy's head bumps off his girlfriends head and causes her to... well.. die. Some very good work put into most of those adds.

The question is, are they a bit over-the-top in terms of raising awareness?
    If anything, I suppose I've got a better idea of what can kill people when a car crashes.
    For example... I didn't know that a rear-seated passenger without a seatbelt could crush the passenger infront of him... I always assumed that the seat would take the impact without breaking.
    All in all - as grusome as they may be, if those adds save one or more lives, then it's worth a quick shudder at a gorey image.

And in fairness, we're all bound to see something gorey at some stage in our real lives... isn't it better that we see it in a fictional form, rather than fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Well the latest offerings certainly beat that "people walking into a car crusher" one, it was totally ineffective IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bonkey:
    I think messages like these would be greatly re-inforced if the police actually cracked down on the LEGAL REQUIREMENT for everyone in the car to wear a seatbelt.
    jc
    </font>

Agreed, while they'll instantly slap you with a fine for either the driver or the front passenger not wearing it, I have never heard of a fine being issued because of failure of a rear passenger to wear his/her seatbelt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

the one were the mother is driving, and a fan comes along behind her, shes waatching the fan instead of watching the road, hits a car, son in the back, no seat belt on goes forward and cruises her against the wheel,

that was and extremely effective add for seatbealts, but allso for mothers with babies in the front on their lap,

i had a very heated debate with a guy who thinks by not wereing a seatbelt hes only indangering himself,

and Robbo i didnt know we had a crash test expert in the house, what do you know,
    ive seen cars roll like that after hitting a curb, a travell along the road 15-20 meters,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

More regular checking and imposing of fines....good plan. As for the ad campaigns, I think the harder hitting, the better. After seeing the seat belt ad, I'm certainly a lot more conscious of the damage than can be done to a car full of people when just one of them is not wearing a seatbelt. Especially in taxis, going home at night, maybe a bit drunk, you might not think of it.

The old seatbelt/drink drive/speeding ad campaigns of the 80s usually showed a crash test dummy being fired through a windscreen into a wall - fairly hardcore at the time I suppose. Seeing the same kind of stuff but with real people is a whole lot gruesome but also a lot more effective. TV campaigns reach so many people and if any of them are caused to think twice before doing something reckless and stupid then it's a job well done - shock factor or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Robbo:
    Misanthropic as I can be, its just very, very stupid to try and educate us about the perils of driving drunk/too fast when the accident depicted is in no way realistic.
    </font>
    Funny that, since all the accidents in those ads are based on real accidents.

As a sidenote, the reason that the ads are good all of a sudden is that they are a result of a collaboration between Safety agencies from the North and South of Ireland.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

In the ad, superstar soccer hero appears to be cruising at about 40mph. Again I reiterate, to roll a car with that ferocity at that speed would require quite a fre liberal interpretations of the laws of physic. But then again, with this point I'm not exactly occupying the most elevated of moral ground...

Rob.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I await the ad where a crash is caused because some yuppie tit on his mobile isn't paying full attention to driving with great anticipation.

• Advertisement

My own choice would be a person t-boning a taxi/hackney who consistently fail to indicate when approaching junctions or changing lanes.

Rob.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    I did like the fact that apart from the "everyone in the car should wear their seatbelt" message, that ad had the added message that you no matter how much you trust the driver of the car, there are always other vehicles on the road who are quite capable of causing an accident.</font>
    I think messages like these would be greatly re-inforced if the police actually cracked down on the LEGAL REQUIREMENT for everyone in the car to wear a seatbelt.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 randys pal

I think that this new seatbelt ad is very effective,it certainly made me think twice

h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

the ads are just far too real for me not to take notice.

i actually cant watch the seatbelt one where the guy hits his girlfriend. its just too reall looking and makes me look to see whos belted up, when im in a car now.

and the soccer one. watch closly and the little lad moves the ball with his foot just as the car is about to hit him. certainly scares the bejaysus outta me.

the Australian ones that are shown sometimes on Tarrant On Tv are also quite good.

i invented '.com'

As I recall the slogan down under when I was there went like this:

"If you drink, and then drive....youre a bloody idiot".

Along with images of carnage and so forth.

Rob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Robbo:
    Being brutally frank, the ad with the football player/ squashed kid interface makes me laugh every time. </font>

And there was me thinking I was the only one smile.gif

It was quiet funny though that add in a strange way lol

Advertisement