Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verizon Fiber to the Premises

• 27-10-2004 12:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Pulled straight from /. :
    "Verizon is now qualifying and accepting installations for FTTP (Fiber To the Premises)! $39.95 for 5MB/2MB, $49.95 for 15MB/2MB, and $199.95 for 30MB/5MB. No word yet on whether Verizon will block ports (25, 80, etc) for incoming or outgoing traffic; with 2MB upload, I hope to basically run a small data center in my basement. Both phone and Internet will come through the fiber, and there is an unofficial rumor of video services as well by the end of this year. Got Fiber? My install date is November 2nd in Falls Church, VA (near DC). Several people in Keller, Texas have posted pictures and reported 14,679 kbps download and 1,794 kbps download speeds."

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/10/26/221219.shtml?tid=95&tid=126&tid=1

Un-****ing-believable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Why must you tease us like that :mad:

Seen it a while ago though makes me sick.

WellyJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

speedtest:

2004-08-25 13:48:32 EST: 14679 / 1794
    Your download speed : 15031536 bps, or 14679 kbps.
    A 1834.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 1837109 bps, or 1794 kbps.

/headexplodes. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Further evidence to suggest that Ireland Offline should not be disbanded for years to come. Its going to play an even more important role than ever.
    At least we already have a campaign in place that can roll from phase one (achieveing afforadable, always on broadband for everyone) straight into phase 2 (achieving Fibre to the Home).

I think the first step is to get rid of the stupid download limits. Its ridiculous. Whats the point having 15mbps download with an 8GB monthly limit (Eircon). It would take around an hour of downloading to hit that. I think it throws into light the stupidity of these limits.

WellyJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

WellyJ wrote:
    I think the first step is to get rid of the stupid download limits. Its ridiculous. Whats the point having 15mbps download with an 8GB monthly limit (Eircon). It would take around an hour of downloading to hit that. I think it throws into light the stupidity of these limits.

WellyJ
    Say it like it is, Download limits - what the hell are they for?? Its not exactly going to make eircom more money cappingpeoples connections, 8gb a month/?? you could get that in a few days :mad:

• Advertisement

Agreed, its a joke. They really annoy me you should be allowed use the connection as much as you want

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

WellyJ wrote:
    Agreed, its a joke. They really annoy me you should be allowed use the connection as much as you want

Its kind of funny when you look at the UK and you see Wanadoo offering 1MB dsl for £17.99 per month with a 2GB cap pm
    wtf like? :confused:
    whats use would you get out of it?
    Your not going to notice pages loading faster then a 256K connection, the only reason you'd want a faster connection is to download files faster and with a 2GB cap per month you could hardly make use of a 1MB connection.

Advertisement