Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Lunar Eclipse almost here

• 27-10-2004 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

But will the weather hold up :eek:

As some of you are probably aware the last total lunar eclipse until march 2007 is almost here. On 28th Oct at approx 2:20am it should begin nice and slowly too, it'll take over an hour before the moon is fully eclipsed, at approx 3:30am (weather permitting) we should have a nice blood red moon to observe. The moon should remain totally eclipsed then for about 1hr 15mins giving those interested plenty of time to observe and take pics of it and then from approx 4:45am until 5:50am it will pass back out from behind the earths shadow and will pretty much be back to normall shortly after 6am.

With this storm approaching the southeast here i just hope it passes quickly and brings clear skys on thursday night/friday morning. If it is then i'll have the binoculars out and my brother should be here with his 9.25' scope to observe and photograph it :D

/me keeps fingers crossed for good weather :cool:

Anyone else looking forward to this as much as i am?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SpaceJunkie

Although a total lunar eclipse is a more common phenomenon then other astronomical events such as a Venus Transit, it does hold a particular interest to me. I will be watching for it with both my 16 x 50 binocs and my 4" reflector scope.

At my location, it should start just as the moon rises (near sunset) and should be well up in the sky by the time it completes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Eye wrote:
    On 28th Oct at approx 2:20am it should begin nice and slowly too...

i just hope it passes quickly and brings clear skys on thursday night/friday morning.

If this is on the 28th (which NASA agrees with - http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/OH/OH2004.html), isn't it on Wednesday 'night' into Thursday morning (i.e. tonight into tomorrow) and not Thurs/Fri?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

doh.ie wrote:
    If this is on the 28th (which NASA agrees with - http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/OH/OH2004.html), isn't it on Wednesday 'night' into Thursday morning (i.e. tonight into tomorrow) and not Thurs/Fri?

Yea its wednesday night. With multiple storm warning in effect across the UK and Ireland I think chances of seeing it are 0.

Cheers,
    ~Al

True. A pity, cos it was very clear last night. Calm before the storm, I suppose!

True. A pity, cos it was very clear last night. Calm before the storm, I suppose!
    I remember a particularly clear lunar eclipse around 8pm in the evening back in 2000 or 2001, which was one of the best I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is the early hours of tomorrow morning alright, but it looks certain that the eclipse will be eclipsed by cloud! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

I hate Irish weather, hate it, i have missed every lunar eclipse because of the dam weather, its really really starting to **** me off, it was a struggle to see the solar 99 one too, next up is the leonids, it will be clear 13,14,15,16,cloud,cloud,cloud,20,21 etc....ive only seen them once and that was 2000 and it still clouded over before dawn! aaaaahhhhhh :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SpaceJunkie

We, in southern California, were completely cloud-covered for the event. I was unable to see it other then via webcast and the occasional view shown during the Baseball Playoff Game.

"P"ed me "O".

At least Boston won. First time in 86 years. LOL.

Advertisement