Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When is my driving test?

Options
  • 27-10-2004 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

I apllied for my test about 8 mths ago. Is it possible to find out roughly when my test will be. Who can i contact?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Not really. You will be notified in writing one month before your test is due. The best estimate you will get is by looking at the waiting times by test centre (as of Oct 2004) and figuring out how long you have left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

You could always try giving the national test centre a ring, they'll ask you what month you applied & will be able to give you an idea of when to expect your notification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

jeez, those pass rates suck a$$!! Tallaght - 50%!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

Well , i applied for my test back in the last week of janruary and have been notified that my test is due on november 10.I'm doing my test in the tallaght centre.So basically , i've waited a little over 9 months for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I passed yesterday by the way..... In Finglas....
    Do some pretests and make sure you know what to do in the event of hazards, in my case ramps....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ian25 wrote:
    Well , i applied for my test back in the last week of janruary and have been notified that my test is due on november 10.I'm doing my test in the tallaght centre.So basically , i've waited a little over 9 months for the test.
    That's not bad. I applied on the 3rd of January 2003 for a test, and sat the test on 21st January 2004 in Tallaght. Nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭roundcrisis

Keyzer wrote:
    I passed yesterday by the way..... In Finglas....
    Do some pretests and make sure you know what to do in the event of hazards, in my case ramps....

Hi there I ll have my test in finglas too, can you tell me who do the pre test thing and can you tell me what was the route?
    I would really apreciate this
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

There are several different routes that each tester use, there is no one set route
    any driving school will have instructors that are based in each test centres area and would have a good idea of most of the routes used, Irish school of motoring, Airport driving school, etc, do yourself a favour and avoid Colliers if you want to stand a chance of passing tho!

Hi there I ll have my test in finglas too, can you tell me who do the pre test thing and can you tell me what was the route?
    I would really apreciate this
    Thanks

With George from Colliers (good but a bit condascending)...
    All around the housing estates near the test centre, glasnevin (housing estates and wotnot), around the back DCU, griffith avenue etc.

Watch out for the ramps, they are everywhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

And the mini-roundabouts that aren't really roundabouts but just a white circle on the ground (treat it as a roundabout).

Also those damn ramps.

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    And the mini-roundabouts that aren't really roundabouts but just a white circle on the ground (treat it as a roundabout).

Also those damn ramps.

you dont need to indicate coming off a mini roundabout...
    and you can go over the white bit if you dont have enough room on the other side....

It amazed me though yesterday, it was clearly obvious that I was doing my test to other drivers (dude in passenger seat with big notepad etc.) and me driving like an angel, and other people dont give you a second on the roads...
    We really are crap drivers in this country.... no manners or courtesy...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, you can drive over it, but according to 3 testers I spoke to you're meant to indicate as if it's a normal roundabout.

Unless they're wrong, but it won't do any harm I guess anyway.

koneko wrote:
    Yeah, you can drive over it, but according to 3 testers I spoke to you're meant to indicate as if it's a normal roundabout.

Unless they're wrong, but it won't do any harm I guess anyway.

Aye, probably not...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

If you're doing Finglas make sure you know the junction between the Ballymun Rd (I think?) and Collins Ave and also the Griffith aVe/Ballymun Rd juntion as they are nasty.

Also it might sound obvious but there are a few tricky turns off the Jamestown Rd itself, and the big junction in the middle of Finglas village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭terryhickey1

when doing finglas make sure to watch out 4 d ramps as the examiner will screw you over in the "reaction to hazards" part......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭roundcrisis

Thanks for all the help

how will you suggest to take the ramps, I heard that if you change gears a lot they dont like it, so, should i go in brake a bit and then keep going on the same gear or stopa bit go down one gear pass the ramp and change gear again?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks for all the help

how will you suggest to take the ramps, I heard that if you change gears a lot they dont like it, so, should i go in brake a bit and then keep going on the same gear or stopa bit go down one gear pass the ramp and change gear again?

Thanks again
    Slow down and change to second gear before you get to the ramp. Go over the ramp in second, and change to third afterwards if required. Do not go slowly between ramps purely so you don't have to change to third gear. You'll be marked down for poor progress.

They've no problem with you changing gears, as long as it's required, e.g. changing up for half a second, only to slow down again and change gears is frowned upon because it's pointless. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tuhubon

I'm currently taking driving lessons with the Colliers Driving school, why, did or something? What driving school is to be the best, and ..ANd cheap? can anyone recommend me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

i just had very bad experience with them, i also know 2 others who said the same. and just generally found them to be fairly incompetant all round.
    With lessons prices are fairly similar all round, ring around, some offer special deals or student discounts(not much good if your not a student tho!)
    ISM and Airport driving school have good reps, if that means anything, alot of the time it down to the individual instructor and you can get a bad one in any school

Advertisement