Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne Vs Cork City (pre match thread)

• 27-10-2004 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Cork City beat Derry city last night at the brandywell. It continues Pat Dolans quite impressive winning run (7 wins in a row !!) and they are now just 4 points behind Shels and play them next !

This is going to be one of the most important games all season.

I hope Shels beat City though ! To loose the league now would be a diaster.

This game HAS to be on T.V.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

After Villa's display last night I don't think I could take another defeat! :( Usually the Friday games are on TV though aye? Gwan the Shels! :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'd love to see Cork City win it... Then there would be a REAL battle on. That can only be good for the EL.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    After Villa's display last night I don't think I could take another defeat! :( Gwan the Shels! :)

Ditto.

No sign of RTÉ picking it up yet though. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Seen Cork beat watererford 4-1 at RSC a few weeks back & even though Blues were poor it was overlooked that Cork were well up for it.
    I would imagine all neutrals would go for a Cork win here & what a finish to the season then.
    They also brought about 750 fans to waterford on a Friday night. By LOI standards thats fantastic away support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't care about an exciting end to the season, and I hope Shels win on friday night.

Because they play Longford Town twice next week, and they could be two banana skins, now that Longford have won the cup again they may be on a post cup high.

Thats if the game goes ahead at all. Remember the last storm on the East Coast, Tolka ended up a swimming pool, and there is some storm brewing out there this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Must win game for city and i for one hope they do. Too many times they have been 2nd best to the Dublin teams and it would be fantastic for the league. A win and the league is up for grabs.

Com on the City!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Cork are on quite a run at the moment and have gained a right bit of momentum. Its far from certain that Shels will win the Eircom League. I hope Pat Fenlon gets this message across to the players and they go out there and do a real professional job or this could all end in tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Would like Cork to win it but both teams are renowned for fekkin it up in the grandest way possible when it matters.

Can only be good for the league to have 2 teams fighting for league in the run in .

kdjac

Anyone at the game , any use?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I wasnt at the match but sounded like there was a lot of Cork supporters there giving it their all. Fair play to them.

I think a draw was a fair result. Shels should win the E.L and I think C.C.F.C will get second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

scoreless so maybe its just as well for LOI knockers that it wasn't televised.
    Must be Shels with that result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I was at the game, and yeah, a draw was the fair result. It's up to Shels to throw it away now, although with two draws (against Longford maybe??) then City will be right back in it.

the atmosphere last night was among the best I've seen in the eL, a credit to both sets of fans as far as i'm concerned. A goal would have been great early on as it would have opened up the game somewhat, but as a City fan it was still exciting enough for me, even if i don;t have any fingernails left today!

So fair play to shels, the fact we haven't beaten them all season speaks volumes i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Shels can thank Steve Williams for a world-class save that saved them last night. Had City won last night, Shels would have lost the plot.

As it turns out 0-0 will have suited Shels more, but City proved what they are capable of.

As roar said, its up to Shels to blow it, and the fact City have taken just 2 points from them all season is the deciding factor.

But with last nights 0-3 for Bohs, it sets up the last game of the season between City and Bohs at the Cross very nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Roar wrote:
    a credit to both sets of fans
    Apart from that idiot in your section who threw the flare on to the pitch. What kind of behaviour is that?

If that flare came from the Shelbourne section, Dolan would have been up in arms, calling for UN Weapon Inspectors to search Tolka Park the next time he takes a team near the place. Not a peep from him last night.

Good enough game, and the Cork fans were the most vocal I've seen in Tolka this season, fair play.

Steve Williams possibly won Shels the league with that top drawer save last night.

I don't know why Glenn Fitz doesn't start games, Shels looked a much better team when he came on, with good shape. Also Wes Hoolahan had just started to play well, when Fenlon took him off. I was mystified.

Potential slip ups next week for Shels, playing Longford twice back to back, but I'd be happy with four points from the games.

Bohs easily dispatched with Drogs, so it definitely looks like the last day of the season will be a fight for the UEFA Cup spot between Bohs and Cork.

Pats have secured Premier League status for at least another season too.

seansouth wrote:
    If that flare came from the Shelbourne section,

Wouldn be hard to spot the one guy on his own , now would it ?

Decent run in , would make my season if us beating Shels gave title to Cork.
    So come on Cork we will do our bit :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There have been flares thrown onto the pitch at Turners X by Waaherfurh, Bohs and SPA this season. Dolan certainly didnt make a big deal of it as suggested above (thats not to say I agree with flares being thrown etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

KdjaC wrote:
    Wouldn be hard to spot the one guy on his own , now would it ?

Decent run in , would make my season if us beating Shels gave title to Cork.
    So come on Cork we will do our bit :)

kdjac

I was kind of divided on the issue.

On one hand I wanted Cork to get slaughtered and have their run terminated in order to give Bohs a chance for 2nd. But on the other hand I'd like nothing better than to see Shels lose the title at the last hurdle :). In the end the draw meant I got neither.

Realistically tho I can't see Bohs catching Cork at this stage anyway I wouldn't have shed any tears if The Village had won on Friday.

*Sigh*, I guess we're just gonna have the win the Uefa Cup the hard way next season. :(

Advertisement